Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Alarm going off for no apparent reason

Views : 2528

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2023, 19:45   #1
Essex Norm

Default XC60 Alarm going off for no apparent reason

I have tried the obvious things such as checking the bonnet and all the windows and doors are fully closed. It is parked outside but fairly sheltered from the wind and there is no passing traffic. No sign of a cat or something jumping on it.
I've read somewhere that a low battery could cause it. The stop/start one was down to 12.01 volts so clearly not very happy. Does anyone know if the alarm circuit is supplied from this battery or does it come from the main start battery. ie the one under the boot floor? This one seems fine at 12.7v
Any other ideas welcome. Thanks.
Old Oct 19th, 2023, 20:13   #2
sk546
Master Member

The only times I've had my alarm go off for no apparent reason, I ended up finding an insect (im my cases, big moths) inside the car that once they started flying around, they set the alarm off.

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2023, 20:24   #3
Otl1uk

Had it with my S60, turned out it was the alarm module battery that was going flat, needed a new alarm module, no problem after that.
Otl1uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2023, 20:33   #4
Essex Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otl1uk View Post
Had it with my S60, turned out it was the alarm module battery that was going flat, needed a new alarm module, no problem after that.
Ah OK. Thanks. Yes maybe. Is that a diy job?
Old Oct 19th, 2023, 22:07   #5
chrisrixy

Hi,

I had this issue on a MY17 XC90. As mentioned above it was the battery in the alarm module. I was told it was non-replaceable battery and the whole unit (siren) was replaced.

Also told that it was not covered under the Volvo extended warranty as the fault was a battery - which are excluded from cover. This applied even though it was the whole unit that had to be replaced.

No problems since - but it wasn't cheap...
chrisrixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2023, 22:14   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex Norm View Post
Ah OK. Thanks. Yes maybe. Is that a diy job?
you need to get it diagnosed first to find out what the fault is.. the many alarm causes are stored and can be read out by Volvo as can a lot of data about the 12 volt main battery operation and history .
Old Oct 20th, 2023, 21:54   #7
Essex Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
you need to get it diagnosed first to find out what the fault is.. the many alarm causes are stored and can be read out by Volvo as can a lot of data about the 12 volt main battery operation and history .
Just an update. I tried to get the car in to the local main dealers but they are booked up for weeks. They did offer to contact Volvo Assist and a guy came to the house today. He was from a local garage and, although very sympathetic, he was unable to diagnose any alarm fault history as he didn't have the Volvo gear.

I've booked it in anyway and the service department advised me that in the meantime I should lock the car manually by using the detachable key blade so the alarm isn't set.

I'm tempted to change the alarm module batteries myself. They are on ebay for about £24.
Old Oct 21st, 2023, 08:14   #8
Phil Croxley

If you're planning to keep the car for some time it won't do any harm to replace the battery, at least you'll know it should be ok for some years. I took my V70 module out some years ago and it seems a bit brutal having to cut it open but it can be done.
Old Oct 21st, 2023, 12:40   #9
Essex Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Croxley View Post
If you're planning to keep the car for some time it won't do any harm to replace the battery, at least you'll know it should be ok for some years. I took my V70 module out some years ago and it seems a bit brutal having to cut it open but it can be done.
Yes. That's what I was thinking. I've seen a couple of Youtube videos and will have a go. I couldn't find anything specific to a UK XC60 although one from the USA shows the module to be under the left wing. Looks like I'll need the Dremel to dismantle it!
Old Oct 21st, 2023, 18:02   #10
Essex Norm

Not a very successful afternoon. I thought it might be a good idea to take the module apart before ordering the batteries so I could double check the dimensions, voltage etc.

I took off the nearside wheel and inner wing plastic shield. Guess what ..... no sign of the alarm module. It is definitely not there.
Before doing anything else I deliberately set off the alarm to try and identify its location. I did this by leaving a window open then locking the car. After a minute I waved a bit of cloth around inside and the alarm went off instantly.

But, here's the thing, the alarm was a high pitched chirp sound. Very ear splitting but not the same as the original problem alarm. That is just a horn sound. And I still couldn't make out where on the car it is coming from.