Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car in Limp mode

Views : 1405

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 13:41   #11
Kev0607
Premier Member

Cleaning isn't always guaranteed. It sounds like you need a new MAF sensor. Have a look at your existing one, see if there's a part number on it. Its likely that it won't be made by Volvo, probably Bosch. If you jot the numbers down that are on it, you may be able to buy the exact same one on the internet for a fraction of the price. That'll save you a trip to the garage, as replacement is easy and just clear the codes when you fit the new one.
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 17:13   #12
theonlyone

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve seen several aftermarket sensors (part no 3143 0000), but Denso (£100 ish) seems more prevalent than Bosch (about £65). I’ll go ahead and fit one based on the codes, and that the dealer would probably do the same but with the £300 part anyway.
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 17:43   #13
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Total cost £1140 +.
The good news is it will all be covered by my Volvo extended warranty.
Hi nu11eaf,

I think you bought your car roughly same time as mine, so must be approaching 8 years old. Just interested in your Volvo extended warranty. How did you get that? Have you renewed year by year, or in one lump? How much did it cost? I didn't think you could get a Volvo warranty past 5 years.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 18:54   #14
James77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Hi nu11eaf,

I think you bought your car roughly same time as mine, so must be approaching 8 years old. Just interested in your Volvo extended warranty. How did you get that? Have you renewed year by year, or in one lump? How much did it cost? I didn't think you could get a Volvo warranty past 5 years.
You can extend with volvo until year 10 but if you don't continually renew you can't take it up again. It's not officially volvo but administered for them so as close as.

I've extended from end of year 3. Last December had my 5th and final service on my 5 year service plan now in a quandary. There are 2 very good volvo indy garages near me I could use but worry is that causes issues if I need to claim in future and not used main dealerfor servicing. Need to Investigate they're both approved so in theory fine but any excuse......
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 19:24   #15
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Hi nu11eaf,

I have renewed it yearly from just before the 3 year warranty ran out, I was offered the chance to extend my warranty a month or so before the 3 year warranty expired via an email from Volvo, it was around £750 the last time I renewed it, I can't remember the exact amount.
This is the first time I have had to use it, I did not have to do anything, my dealer knew I had a warranty and when the car went in they rang me to tell me what required doing and said it will all be covered on my warranty.
You have to buy the Volvo warranty before the existing warranty runs out, it starts when the other one expires.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Mar 2nd, 2024 at 19:31.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 09:51   #16
V60 probably

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
I have renewed it yearly from just before the 3 year warranty ran out, I was offered the chance to extend my warranty a month or so before the 3 year warranty expired via an email from Volvo, it was around £750 the last time I renewed it, I can't remember the exact amount.
This is the first time I have had to use it, I did not have to do anything, my dealer knew I had a warranty and when the car went in they rang me to tell me what required doing and said it will all be covered on my warranty.
You have to buy the Volvo warranty before the existing warranty runs out, it starts when the other one expires.
Do you know how this works with Selekt Warranty? My 3yr warranty expired last month and I was offered an extension, but as I bought second hand I have Selekt warranty until August. does this mean I have missed the opportunity to extend Volvo warranty, or can I do so when the Selekt expires?

Prevously: 1992 440ti, 1997 S40 1.8, 2000 S80 2.4.
V60 probably is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 11:15   #17
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V60 probably View Post
Do you know how this works with Selekt Warranty? My 3yr warranty expired last month and I was offered an extension, but as I bought second hand I have Selekt warranty until August. does this mean I have missed the opportunity to extend Volvo warranty, or can I do so when the Selekt expires?
I would ask your dealer before your Selekt warranty runs out, as it has been under warranty from new I would think the offer to continue would apply. But I can't give a definitive answer.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 14:13   #18
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Just a quick update, all work carried out and I have my car back today and running fine again. Nothing to pay all carried out under warranty.
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2024, 19:16   #19
theonlyone

Today I fitted a new Denso MAF sensor - to no avail. The same driving symptoms were there and the car went into limp mode after only a few minutes and under normal acceleration.

I'm going to have to take the car to a garage and see what they can find. Before the fault developed, I had left the driver's door window open overnight, and it rained - the seat got wet, but I really don't think that there was enough water to penetrate the carpets or reach any electrics. Could I be wrong?
Old Mar 5th, 2024, 21:23   #20
wynnj
Master Member

Have you checked the various vacuum lines - do they hold vacuum?
I don't know your exact engine version but the following link or one of the other manuals that this guy sells may help.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296095537...cAAOSwCm1lcdxq
(there seem to be several engine options listed for the V90)
I purchased one as a fall back for my XC60 D4 soon after I bought the car, but haven't used it yet. The manual comes as an e-document after you complete the purchase. It looks to be directly from the Volvo manual as the drawings and colours look the same as other Volvo documents. Unfortunately they're in german but I figured that if I'm really stuck I can always do a google translate on the approprate section as and when I need it, and ~£50 could be money well spent if it saves me inconclusive diagnostic tests and garages playing the plug and play game at my expense.
wynnj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wynnj For This Useful Post: