Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear fog lights

Views : 5010

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 21st, 2013, 18:21   #41
Spike56
Master Member

Just have visions of a foggy French road, a red triangle on the dash, and some 2cv piling into the boot "because your fog light is on the wrong side monsieur, n'est pas!"
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2013, 21:38   #42
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike56 View Post
Just have visions of a foggy French road, a red triangle on the dash, and some 2cv piling into the boot "because your fog light is on the wrong side monsieur, n'est pas!"
I'd be very surprised if an accident had ever happened anywhere in the world that could be attributed absence of a rear foglight. If somebody runs in the back of you, with very few exceptions, they are driving too fast for what they can see of the road ahead, it is their fault, period. It would be absurd to blame it on the lack of rear fog lights, though I don't know French driving laws.

Even if you are being aggresively tailgated on a foggy road, rear fog lamps will just dazzle the twit behind you, so he is now not just a dangerous twit but a dangerous twit with impaired visibility. Even the French must understand that?
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2013, 22:33   #43
Spike56
Master Member

All true, of course. If you are going to get hit there is very little you can do. Not an option to stay at home.

How often do we use fog lamps anyway? I've only used them a couple of times in all the times when I've had them fitted. Just another bulb to buy, inevitably.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spike56 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 21st, 2013, 22:52   #44
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike56 View Post
All true, of course. If you are going to get hit there is very little you can do. Not an option to stay at home.

How often do we use fog lamps anyway? I've only used them a couple of times in all the times when I've had them fitted. Just another bulb to buy, inevitably.
Anyways, I've drifted your question far enough off topic...

Can anybody else answer the legal question as to whether a UK car with manufacturer's intended single offside rear foglight remains legal when driving in Europe, or vice versa, such that the foglight becomes nearside?
Old Jun 22nd, 2013, 08:40   #45
A lex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_56 View Post
Anyways, I've drifted your question far enough off topic...

Can anybody else answer the legal question as to whether a UK car with manufacturer's intended single offside rear foglight remains legal when driving in Europe, or vice versa, such that the foglight becomes nearside?
Yes, it is 100% legal to drive in Europe - the EU rules state that the car must be legal in its registered state, not necessarily in the country in which it is temporarily driving.

If you would wish to import the car, then the fog lights would need sorting.
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A lex For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2013, 21:04   #46
XC70Mark
"Custom User Title"

Well, I was reading the thread, feeling a bit bored, had an hour of daylight left so figured as I need the car on the road tomorrow at 1000 I should start taking it apart...

Hour later and I have a free foglamp upgrade
Old Aug 8th, 2013, 21:23   #47
Aveton Gifford
VOC Member

Just looked at my S60 and it has 2 rear foglights, the previous owner must have done it!

2005 MY C70 2.0T MANUAL

2007 MY XC70 D5 AUTO
Aveton Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2013, 22:01   #48
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aveton Gifford View Post
Just looked at my S60 and it has 2 rear foglights, the previous owner must have done it!
It's been suggested that cars sold for export (eg rhd sold in Europe or lhd in UK) may have foglamps fitted eiter side to make the car legal to register in either territory.

A simple safety upgrade for such cars is of course to just remove the nearside bulb...
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 11:23   #49
Spike56
Master Member

But if I have both bulbs fitted correctly, why not just make them both work? I assume it is only a mm's worth of wire. Already made, already fitted !
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 13:19   #50
Flyer

Just to refresh this thread please. 2001 V70 and I am struggling with the rear fog light which is inop. I’ve done all the normal tests and can’t hear any relay clicking. From this thread it is relay 17 ? But I can’t identify relay identification on the fuse/relay panel. Can anyone help please Please?
MOT tomorrow which is Sod’s law.