Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 front end clunk

Views : 2627

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 16th, 2018, 16:20   #21
McGandalf

Bumping this - I appreciate there's a similar thread ongoing for a V70.

Replaced both rear shock absorber top mounts (with FAI parts) and this has made no difference to the knocking noise. Previously I've replaced all droplinks, lower gearbox mount and the exhaust brackets.

I got a friend to drive the car slowly at the weekend and I ran alongside. The rear offside (driver's side) wheel makes a brief rubbing noise once every revolution.

I am assuming this is a binding brake caliper. (I am assuming it's not a knackered wheel bearing - the noise doesn't get louder at speed and it's an rubbing/grinding noise once per revolution - not a constant droning noise.)

I won't be able to take the wheel off and inspect the braking system until the weekend. Could it make sense to suggest that the binding is down to a faulty caliper piston, which is causing the brake pads to knock around in the housing? Alternatively (and I worry here) could it be the parking brake shoes rattle around in their housing?

I replaced the parking brake shoes with brand new genuine Volvo shoes with a genuine Volvo spring kit 2 years ago (fitted by a garage). It would seem strange for them to have delaminated over such a short period of time - broken springs perhaps?

Just wondering whether to expect to need to purchase a brand new caliper when I take the brakes apart this weekend.

Just for the record, I'm not losing brake fluid, braking efficiency (both footbrake and parking brake) seems fine, and the knocking doesn't just occur when I press the brake pedal. It is intermittent (worse over bumps/rough surfaces) and only audible at low speeds. I can't hear the knocking when I give the car a good shove from various angles and at various spots when stationary.

Of course I'm just guessing at this point - it's just it's my only car and I want to plan ahead and not get stranded!
McGandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 19:22   #22
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile rear brake noises

Hi Mc G,

Your rubbing noise might be something simple like a brake backplate being bent in toward the disc, maybe contacting with the outer lip of the disc where you can sometime have rust/crud buildup. If you have replaced the shoes, i doubt they would have delaminated in a few years it might also be some rust or debris inside the drum that could make a similar noise, have you tried pulling the handbrake up at slow speed ? A stuck caliper usually generates a lot of heat (you'll smell something like an overcooked clutch) after some miles due to the friction, and you probably wouldn't find the hub span too freely if you jacked up the offending wheel (assuming the handbrake was also off of course!)
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 19:46   #23
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

As Thassos said, a slightly bent dust shield is common.
My favorite to check are the glide pins. Each caliper has two. You remove them with a 7mm hex. I recommend a 7mm hex bit on your common wrench set. The familiar key may work easily but there are many cheap, hollow hex keys which'll bend.

The pins are easily accessed behind the rubber caps. You'll see their black, cylindrical boots sticking out of the rear of the bracket. You can easily remove them one at a time without disturbing anything.
Make sure all 8 are intact. I've found the caps missing, boots nibbled away etc.

See if the pins are clean and lubed. Every one I remove is bone dry and/or has stickiness and rust. Clean 'em and relube them with real brake grease NOT copper slip (anti-seize).

This'll have nothing to do with your clunking.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 07:55   #24
McGandalf

Thanks for. Oteh answers above. Will look at the dust shield and glide pins.

Can worn/broken rear shock absorbers cause a 'clunk' (the shocks themselves, not the top mounts)? They seem to be doing their job, but they are old and I was wondering if they were the culprit.
McGandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 13:04   #25
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

I had worn shocks which grunted and moaned roughly. It was much louder than I ever could have imagined.....but not what I'd call a 'clunk'?
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2019, 14:22   #26
volvo2
Master Member

I've had an intermittent loud clunk that usually appeared after having the car jacked up. Normally it faded away but of late has persisted. It seemed to occur at odd times, ie not necessarily when going over bumps. Anyway, I've replaced the lower gearbox torque mount (genuine Volvo) and thankfully it seems to have solved it. The old one had the rubber torn on one side (the smaller of the two rubber components), so was loose but not completely separated.
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote