Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tailgate Open - Not lock or Hatch Loom

Views : 679

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 10th, 2019, 07:56   #1
jellison

Default Tailgate Open - Not lock or Hatch Loom

Hi I have the dreaded Tailgate Open Warning, constantly on on my dash. Been like this for about a year (05 V70R). I have read endless threads on this saying it is firstly the Lock mechanism (bought new from Volvo made no difference), then it could be the rear hatch loom (this was well buggered in the hing area and had obviously been jury fixed before, I did a better job on this and repaired all the wires (originally the wiper and was not working either, this fixed the wiper not working, but no difference to the Tailgate Open always being on). So got an new loom from Volvo (yep it is adding up)!

Fitted this while at Shemtek (Shem and me did it), no change!!

Then I found this old Swedespeed thread https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...code-need-help saying in the last point:-

Re: tailgate open error code - need help (V70RinGR)
To my knowledge there is only one OPEN/CLOSED sensor. The fact that it senses CLOSED for both the cargo light and the alarm lock confirmation, tells me it is much further downstream.
If you do leave it partially closed, then do you NOT get the alarm confirmation? If so, it is clear that it is changing states.

I suspect your problem is going to be in a door module, REM, or UEM, that is capable of sending a logic level status, (in this case the wrong one), as opposed to a physical status, like the lock unit.
====================================

This is what it surely has to be, as alarm work (well does the odd flaky thing where all doors have to be opened and shut then ok again - but they all do this). But my dash warning if on a bumpy road is constantly flickering with the MIL warning light in the middle of the cluster, then when road smooths out it will stay off with the reset button. Hit bumpy roads again and it come on again flickering. I had it covered with a bit of electrical tape I could flick up to still use the fuel computer function (and cover MIL). But really want it fixed.

It is not this:-

check this out. http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=118808 i had the same problem. volvo dealer reloaded the software. mine has been fine since. hope it works out. my symptoms were rear doors/petrol cap/boot not unlocking. if you disconnect and reconnect the battery, you can then work out if this is the problem. if it works when you recon

=============

This sounds promising -

Hey, I had the same problem LHS rear door not locking or unlocking with the central locking. Also had brake light clusters and reverse light not working.

I took one of the relays out of the REM and tried it on the door lock relay, and voila! The door locks and unlocks. Turns out I need 4 new relays !

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/downloads/2001_S60.pdf

Its possible it could be the same problem as the one I had?

----------------------------------

Thinking this is the next thing to try (swap relays round or just replace then all) and see if it fixes it.

There are alot of diagrams on 01 - 07 V70's so might have to check the actual book for what mine has before I go pulling relay and get fresh one!

https://www.google.com/search?q=volv...B-ikhMM:&vet=1

Not sure I trust any of the above pic's!
jellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 08:39   #2
Brendan W
Premier Member

When our tailgate glass got broken the car displayed a tailgate open message.
The car locked and opened as normal with the remote except without the indicator flashes on lock.
The demister is part of the intrusion system and if it's earth wire or terminals are compromised it will throw this fault.
Check for continuity to ground between the earth tab on the demister and a good body earth.

Last edited by Brendan W; Sep 10th, 2019 at 08:41.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 08:48   #3
jellison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan W View Post
When our tailgate glass got broken the car displayed a tailgate open message.
The car locked and opened as normal with the remote except without the indicator flashes on lock.
The demister is part of the intrusion system and if it's earth wire or terminals are compromised it will throw this fault.
Check for continuity to ground between the earth tab on the demister and a good body earth.
Hi Brendan, do you mean the windscreen squirter for the front windscreen (back hatchback in mostly fiberglass), where is this earth?
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 09:16   #4
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

As Brendan W says, check the earthing for the tailgate. It is plastic therefore depends completely on the earth wire being good.

The rear earthing point is behind the rear seats (second row if you have a third row fitted), it's at the LH side. It's a while since I've been there but I remember removing the vertical seat pad near the door pillar.

You mentioned about the warning light flickering on bumpy roads - was this you account or one you were quoting? This suggests to me that the rear hatch isn't properly closing. The latch is a double close just like all the other doors, it must be closed on the second position to cancel the door open warning.

When my car was new it came with the striking plate slightly miss aligned. Being plastic the rear hatch flexes and twists. I would check all the seals to make sure nothing is fouling and also that both locking positions are working, ie the hatch can be held by the lock but not fully closed and then fully closed with no movement.
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 09:20   #5
100K+
Premier Member

Also see here - I had this issue a few years back :-

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ighlight=earth

As you suffer from flickering it suggests to me you could have a bad earth issue. If you directly earth the micro switch to a good earth (brown wire) and you loose the message u hv found yr fault.

Cheers
Bob

Last edited by 100K+; Sep 10th, 2019 at 09:25.
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 09:30   #6
Brendan W
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison View Post
Hi Brendan, do you mean the windscreen squirter for the front windscreen (back hatchback in mostly fiberglass), where is this earth?
No. The rear demister heater in the glass. The supply and earth tabs are on the sides of the glass and you will need to remove the plastic trim to get access.
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 11:39   #7
jellison

Thanks 100+

I'm conscious of not being really any good with electrics.

I could pull some relays out and replace, but as far as testing things to earth or voltages, not something I know about or have time to get into (hate modern cars - but need to tow my old ones about - which I don't mind working on!).

I'm thinking I need to get the car to an auto electrician to fix. I can't have it potentially kill the car, this issue causing something worse (alarm issues), I need it available 24/7 to pull race cars about.

It is only 112k miles and intend to run it for many years yet.

I really don't have the time or really know what I am doing - I have been close to throwing a can of petrol over the thing. God Volvo electric are utter junk.
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 11:44   #8
jellison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Lincs View Post
As Brendan W says, check the earthing for the tailgate. It is plastic therefore depends completely on the earth wire being good.

The rear earthing point is behind the rear seats (second row if you have a third row fitted), it's at the LH side. It's a while since I've been there but I remember removing the vertical seat pad near the door pillar.

You mentioned about the warning light flickering on bumpy roads - was this you account or one you were quoting? This suggests to me that the rear hatch isn't properly closing. The latch is a double close just like all the other doors, it must be closed on the second position to cancel the door open warning.

When my car was new it came with the striking plate slightly miss aligned. Being plastic the rear hatch flexes and twists. I would check all the seals to make sure nothing is fouling and also that both locking positions are working, ie the hatch can be held by the lock but not fully closed and then fully closed with no movement.
Another one that sounds possible.

This is what happens in my car (flickering or most road once the warning is cancelled it stays off, but on particulary bad road it will do the flicker thing), BUT ALWAYs on when car is started.

I have zero idea on checking earths...............
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 11:56   #9
100K+
Premier Member

The actual micro switch has two wires only : a solid blue and a solid green. However, when then come out the first connector upstream from the micro switch one of the wires ( atleast) changes colour. One goes brown (-ive) can't remember the other colour or if 100% it changes colour.

I'm NO sparky, and got help off members here how to use a voltage meter, but with a logical approach I found the problem.

Find a new place to earth the brown wire and if the message disappears you have your solution. You'll need to remove the rear trim from the 5th door.

Cheers
Bob.
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 12:49   #10
Brendan W
Premier Member

I think they change to pink and brown. The brown one heads off to the glass and on to the ground point by the earth post on the floor in front of the right hand wheel arch.
If either the switch is not made or the glass is broken the car will think that the tailgate is open.
Find the brown wire at the switch plug and then with a meter on a low resistance setting check that there is a low resistance to a good ground point.
From inside the car with the gate shut check that there is a very low resistance between the two wires coming from the door microswitch.