Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xc60 d4(181) vea fwd auto 8 speed - mpg

Views : 2749

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 20th, 2014, 19:25   #11
spaceman2844

Just reached 3500 miles in our D4. I definitely think the mpg is getting better, although not sure if this is because I've learned how to drive it economically. Getting about 44mpg now on the computer with a mostly start-stop commute and school run in the morning. Fairly happy with it for a car that size.
Old Jun 20th, 2014, 19:49   #12
andymcp
Premier Member

I do think the warmer weather is contributing to mpg. Maybe this thread should get resurrected in winter when everyone's fuelly says 31mpg...

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2014, 21:37   #13
Flux
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
.............As an aside, does anyone find that when you're driving it hard you hit the limiter very quickly? Diesel is great but the max revs are 5k per minute, if I recall correctly. Petrol is such a dream but the economy would be a nightmare on the XC60. Arianne
I have been quite surprised by the amount of pulling power it has through the range. I know that traditionally most diesels have had a sweet spot up to 3K RPM and then refused to pull much after that.

The XC60 has most of its grunt at the lower end (which is ideally where you want it) but does, like most diesels, run out of puff a little when yo get further up the range although think the second turbine does its best to keep the power coming. Have found on the odd occasion that when doing 80 ish and you put your foot down it takes a while to get going again but by then you're in ticket territory so that's probably just as well.

Think having the geartronic make you feel like you're accelerating faster than you probably would be in a manual - but maybe that's something to do with the slightly higher revving you get from an auto box when it changes gear.........and the fact that you're not contributing to the process other than using your right foot and grinning as the car does all the work!

All in all I'm quite happy with the performance and power range but find that as time goes by I'm not quite so inclined to see how quick she will go (up to 70 mph) but do have my moments when my 6 year old daughter shouts 'drop a cog daddy' and my son immediately says 'no I will be sick' - (of course he won't but got that bit from his mother!).

Priceless stuff but wouldn't have it any other way.

Last edited by Flux; Jun 20th, 2014 at 21:46.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flux For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 10:18   #14
mordred1973

haha my 5.5year old daughter says "faster faster daddy, overtake them, faster" hmm honest officer it was her fault...
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 13:53   #15
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
But, as others have said, 40mpg lifetime average for the first 3.5k is pretty good for a car that weighs in at nearly two tons (my son's TT is returning 43mpg with its petrol 1.8TFSi engine but the power:weight ratio is in a different place and it has a slippery design).
CORRECTION (not that this is of major importance on a Volvo forum, but for accuracy and my reputation)........

The Audi is actually returning a lifetime average of 35mpg not 43mpg. My son tells me that the figure of 43mpg - 47mpg is achieved only when his car is driven at about 50mph in top gear. So our VEA Volvo XC60s would probably achieve about 50mpg on a like4like basis then.

As I said, almost irrelevant on this forum but....just for the record

Arianne

Tags
xc60 d4 vea mpg