Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xc60 d4(181) vea fwd auto 8 speed - mpg

Views : 2750

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 20th, 2014, 13:32   #1
Considered1
Premier Member

Default Xc60 d4(181) vea fwd auto 8 speed - mpg

Beat that on the Motorway with a 2 week old (large) car

Ok Large section of M1 @ 50 followed by late for appointment catchup, large holdup getting from M40 back over to M1, rush hour round the town visited, multi storey parking, couple of stops and last 5 mile dash home in sports mode!, rest was quite pleasant too..!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mpg.jpg (110.8 KB, 134 views)
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Considered1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2014, 14:45   #2
AngloScot
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considered1 View Post
Beat that on the Motorway with a 2 week old (large) car

Ok Large section of M1 @ 50 followed by late for appointment catchup, large holdup getting from M40 back over to M1, rush hour round the town visited, multi storey parking, couple of stops and last 5 mile dash home in sports mode!, rest was quite pleasant too..!
That's awesome. I am still amazed that I drove 376 miles on half a tank of diesel. Although I don't know the MPG.
Old Jun 20th, 2014, 15:18   #3
Flux
Premier Member

Think that is where the car comes into it's own, at (mostly) steady speed on the motorway. Still pretty impressive figures though only life isn't full of motorway driving and when you combine it with the every day stuff, it does drop down quite considerably.

I have managed 47 mpg on single trips without much stopping and starting but do take my hat off to your impressive mpg. Shows it can be done.

I presume that's the VOC APP you're flaunting there?

Be interested to know what the MPG was from My Car readout (for us mere mortals)?

Last edited by Flux; Jun 20th, 2014 at 15:27.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2014, 16:05   #4
andymcp
Premier Member

I would describe the D4's mpg performance as 'fragile'. It can be sensational as Considered1 has shown, living up to a real-life interpretation of the brochure numbers, but it can also plummet the minute you get back to normal use. From a claimed 67mpg in the V60, I'm getting a reliable 50mpg easily on long journeys without any consideration for speed or any other fuel saving considerations. But on a long, boring cruise this week I switched on the trip statistics and had a play with the things that might improve it - unplugged the charging phone, switched off ACC & aircon, switched on Eco+. It was easily getting 60-70mpg at legal speeds, especially if you concentrate on being careful with the right foot pressure. But drive it as you would when you jump in and drive off, and the average plummets to mid 30s, especially around town. The VOC app records support this - my short town drives are high 20s if the engine doesn't get the chance to warm up, mid 30s to mid 40s if it has. Long hilly cruises are between 50-60. But so many of the trips on an average tank are short school-run/nip to the shops/walk the dog drives that the lifetime average takes a beating.

What did make me laugh yesterday was that after arriving back in Glasgow and fuelling up (the 30km beforehand is mostly downhill so the trip computer has a skewed expectation of reality) the distance to empty showed 1130 miles. By the time I got home from the petrol station (5 miles of town driving) it had already dropped to 1025.

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andymcp For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2014, 16:56   #5
ex Triumph Man

It would be interesting to learn which fuel you used for this trip please.

Personally I never, ever use supermarket fuel.
ex Triumph Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2014, 17:06   #6
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex Triumph Man View Post
It would be interesting to learn which fuel you used for this trip please.

Personally I never, ever use supermarket fuel.
Interesting. I rarely use anything but.

ALL fuel meets certain standards. I would rather have fuel that has been at the garage for the shortest time: ie, one with a high turnover....which generally means the local Tesco/Coop/Morrisons/etc.
Never been convinced about any arguments that claim BP/Shell etc has different and better additives for my car. Never noticed any issues.

& as this (example discussion!) ends with it: no-one really knows the truth.

I assume you have had a bad personal experience that you directly attributed to some supermarket: sorry to hear that.
Old Jun 20th, 2014, 17:15   #7
Considered1
Premier Member

Morrissons regular, also got me £5 store voucher so was heavy on bottles of water in the back too..
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2014, 17:22   #8
NickHoward

I had similar figures with similar journeys when I first got the beast.

Spent the last 2 weeks with short journeys completing 550 miles (a full tank) at around 36 MPG.....

It does not like short journeys at all......

Past:MY15 XC60 D4 R-Design Lux Nav, Black
NickHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2014, 18:11   #9
Flux
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considered1 View Post
Morrissons regular, also got me £5 store voucher so was heavy on bottles of water in the back too..
You're going to tell us next you achieved these impressive figures whilst towing a caravan as well as the water, half-flat tyres, full tank..........6 children and three large dogs

Last edited by Flux; Jun 20th, 2014 at 18:53.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2014, 19:06   #10
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymcp View Post
I would describe the D4's mpg performance as 'fragile'. It can be sensational as Considered1 has shown, living up to a real-life interpretation of the brochure numbers, but it can also plummet the minute you get back to normal use.
I think that sums it exactly. I also have managed just over 50mpg on a trip from Edinburgh Airport, along the City Bypass, A68 and on into the Central Scottish Borders. But it's unsustainable as soon as you mix the driving up with other stuff and / or have a bit of fun in the thing.

But, as others have said, 40mpg lifetime average for the first 3.5k is pretty good for a car that weighs in at nearly two tons (my son's TT is returning 43mpg with its petrol 1.8TFSi engine but the power:weight ratio is in a different place and it has a slippery design). It's just that, when I look at the Fuelly things that some of you guys have on your posts at 36.5mpg and see you're driving the D5 215bhp I am a bit envious! I'm not quite sure how you achieve this as, when I had the demonstrator for a couple of days, I was achieving mid-20mpg when I opened her up and had some fun.

As an aside, does anyone find that when you're driving it hard you hit the limiter very quickly? Diesel is great but the max revs are 5k per minute, if I recall correctly. Petrol is such a dream but the economy would be a nightmare on the XC60.

We have a holiday in Northern Italy coming up soon (Lake Orta). We're driving via Chamonix. It'll be interesting to see what the XC60 delivers on this long run. Of course, she'll be fully laden with three of us, the kitchen sink and probably with climate control all the way. But since French AutoRoutes are speed limited we'll not be doing a 'Deutschland Uber Alles' 130mph dash At that speed you become friends with almost every Rasthaus on the autobahn.

Regards, Arianne

Last edited by Arianne; Jun 20th, 2014 at 19:15.
Arianne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
xc60 d4 vea mpg