Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

scraping/grinding/moaning S60 :(

Views : 2801

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 1st, 2011, 16:35   #1
shawzy147
2000 s60 2.0T se

Default scraping/grinding/moaning S60 :(

Hey all, I'm new here so hello to all.
I just bought a 2000 S60 2.0T se and what an amazing car : ) my previous car was a mondeo so as I'm sure you can imagine, the quality difference is amazing!
When I test drove the car, all was good apart from a knocking from the drivers side wheel, I think it's the ball joint on the wishbone, that doesn't worry me, I'll be fixing that at the weekend, however, typically, the day after I got the car home, it's developed a horrible scraping/grating/moaning noise from the passenger side wheel, it only does it when I turn left at slow speed, the power steering fluid level is fine, but when I jacked her up today to have a look, I noticed something had fallen down out of place, it's a cylindrical thing that sits in the wishbone, I'm assuming it's an ABS sensor??? It's held in with two bolts, however one has sheared off, resulting in the sensor falling down and hanging from just one bolt, I thought "bingo" this must be rubbing on the inside of the alloy wheel as the sensor has a rubber surround, and you could see that it had been scraping on something, also the inside of the alloy wheel has scrape marks on. So I returned the sensor back in to it's housing on the wishbone (with only one bolt), and headed out confidentley for a test drive. However, same horrible noise I have no idea what this could be and hope someone here could shed some light on my poorly S60, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance,

Steve.
shawzy147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 16:50   #2
v_matt_v
Volvo Fan

Smile

I think it's not the ABS sensor but the rubber limiter. Does it look like this:
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/...oducts_id=5083 ??
v_matt_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 16:56   #3
S60D5SE
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawzy147 View Post
Hey all, I'm new here so hello to all.
I just bought a 2000 S60 2.0T se and what an amazing car : ) my previous car was a mondeo so as I'm sure you can imagine, the quality difference is amazing!
When I test drove the car, all was good apart from a knocking from the drivers side wheel, I think it's the ball joint on the wishbone, that doesn't worry me, I'll be fixing that at the weekend, however, typically, the day after I got the car home, it's developed a horrible scraping/grating/moaning noise from the passenger side wheel, it only does it when I turn left at slow speed, the power steering fluid level is fine, but when I jacked her up today to have a look, I noticed something had fallen down out of place, it's a cylindrical thing that sits in the wishbone, I'm assuming it's an ABS sensor??? It's held in with two bolts, however one has sheared off, resulting in the sensor falling down and hanging from just one bolt, I thought "bingo" this must be rubbing on the inside of the alloy wheel as the sensor has a rubber surround, and you could see that it had been scraping on something, also the inside of the alloy wheel has scrape marks on. So I returned the sensor back in to it's housing on the wishbone (with only one bolt), and headed out confidentley for a test drive. However, same horrible noise I have no idea what this could be and hope someone here could shed some light on my poorly S60, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance,

Steve.
Hi Steve

That sounds like the lock stop to me - are there any wires connected to it? The lock-stop doesn't have any wires connected . . . It should be held on by two bolts on the leading edge of the wishbone? There's an arm from the hub that contacts it on full lock, supposed to prevent the wheels rubbing - but they often rub anyway. Check the metal plate on the inner wing for signs of tyres rubbing . . . without the lock-stop in place the tyres would rub heavilly against the plate.

Hope this helps

John.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 19:02   #4
chiptivo
Premier Member

Be careful turning full circle if the lock stop is missing, as you could damage the power steering rack (If it isn't damaged already )

You will get used to the fact the Volvo S60 has the turning circle of a Formula 1 car.
chiptivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 21:23   #5
shawzy147
2000 s60 2.0T se

Hi guys, thanks for the replies, Yes Matt, that looks like the one, and yes John, the inner wing does have rubbing marks both on the metal inner wing and the plastic splash guard, now I'm worried that when the rubber stop was not in place, someone's had the car on full lock and damaged the steering rack
Oh, I forgot to mention that the STC light comes on when the horrible sound is present, also, I was just driving the car, and my friend (in the passenger seat) thought the sound was coming from the centre of the car, which also makes me worry that it could be steering rack related!!
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 21:24   #6
shawzy147
2000 s60 2.0T se

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptivo View Post
Be careful turning full circle if the lock stop is missing, as you could damage the power steering rack (If it isn't damaged already )

You will get used to the fact the Volvo S60 has the turning circle of a Formula 1 car.
Yes, I can do a three point turn in less turns on my 3 year old daughters tricycle!
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 22:46   #7
chiptivo
Premier Member

Have a look at the following link and picture, for a blow up of the parts in question.

The stop lock thing we are talking about (Part no 11) varies depending on which tyre size you are using, and they do wear out.

The abs light and sensor are unrelated to the steering rack, so I would not worry about the rack being damaged. Could the cable for the ABS sensor be routed incorrectly and is being pulled at lock, causing issues.

The cables and sensors (Inc securing screws can be brought, transferred between wheels if required?

http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/sh...ssembly=244081

Old Jun 1st, 2011, 23:11   #8
shawzy147
2000 s60 2.0T se

Chiptivo, thanks for the diagram, very usefull
I like your thinking, and of course I like you saying not to worry about the steering rack (I had one replaced on a saab 9000 once and it was sooooooo expensive)!!

So, I just went out in it again and decided to try driving with the STC switched off and........... BINGO!! the noise has vanished!!??!!??

Now obviousley the problem is not cured, but at least I can drive now without wondering what damage I'm doing under there!!
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 00:10   #9
chiptivo
Premier Member

Good getting somewhere...

In the wheel hub you will have a ABS ring.. It looks like this..

The sensor sticks into the ring.

So when the car is moving, the sensor clicks against the ring.
If the sensor stops clicking, the ABS system thinks the wheel has locked, and quickly releases the pressure from the breaking system to this pad... This maybe the noise you are hearing?

Making sense?? :/

So.. The sensor is held in position by one bolt. It pushes the sensor against the ring. If this bolt is loose, the sensor will be hit and miss causing the ABS system to have a fit, and be noisy..

If the ring is knackered?? Then I would not know if this can be replaced, but I have never read about the ring failing. Sensors break, but you would normally get a ABS system error on the display??? But this maybe if the sensor does not report any signal... Yours maybe just intermittent at lock, due to a damaged cable?? Again, a separate part..

Personally, I would jack it up, and listen for the clicking at lock etc.. Turning the wheel in neutral, you should hear the clicking of he sensor against the ABS ring. If all clicking as expected, I would check the cable.

Check the abs sensor securing nut, as if slightly loose, the sensor will not sit in the ring 100%, and will intermittently report a locking wheel to the abs system...

Good luck fella, and I hope this is somewhat useful to others.

If you jack up the car and rotate the wheel, you should be able to hear the ring and sensor clicking as rotated.
The Following User Says Thank You to chiptivo For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 01:12   #10
shawzy147
2000 s60 2.0T se

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptivo View Post
Good getting somewhere...

In the wheel hub you will have a ABS ring.. It looks like this..

The sensor sticks into the ring.

So when the car is moving, the sensor clicks against the ring.
If the sensor stops clicking, the ABS system thinks the wheel has locked, and quickly releases the pressure from the breaking system to this pad... This maybe the noise you are hearing?

Making sense?? :/

So.. The sensor is held in position by one bolt. It pushes the sensor against the ring. If this bolt is loose, the sensor will be hit and miss causing the ABS system to have a fit, and be noisy..

If the ring is knackered?? Then I would not know if this can be replaced, but I have never read about the ring failing. Sensors break, but you would normally get a ABS system error on the display??? But this maybe if the sensor does not report any signal... Yours maybe just intermittent at lock, due to a damaged cable?? Again, a separate part..

Personally, I would jack it up, and listen for the clicking at lock etc.. Turning the wheel in neutral, you should hear the clicking of he sensor against the ABS ring. If all clicking as expected, I would check the cable.

Check the abs sensor securing nut, as if slightly loose, the sensor will not sit in the ring 100%, and will intermittently report a locking wheel to the abs system...

Good luck fella, and I hope this is somewhat useful to others.

If you jack up the car and rotate the wheel, you should be able to hear the ring and sensor clicking as rotated.
Hey, thanks for the info And yes, this does make sense, in fact, I went out again, to try some other things, such as applying the brake whilst it was making it's screams and groans!! And the pedal juddered as if the ABS had kicked in momentarilly, so I think your definately on to something here, I'll get her jacked up tomorrow, have a butchers and get back to you