Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gearbox tie bar

Views : 2676

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 10th, 2011, 09:09   #31
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thassos View Post
Interesting, seems theres some dud info out there in volvoworld,

I had a look at the Haynes book, and they quote these torques:

Engine Lower Stabiliser * 50nM + 40 deg.

Lower Torque rod to subframe Nut 65nM + 60 deg.
Lower Torque rod to transmission 35nM + 40deg.

[they use the key of asterisk (*) = do not re-use]

As clan says it seems to follow that anything spec'd with the extra 'angle' tightening is a stretch bolt, so perhaps haynes missed off a * in the listing for the lower torque rod.

What is curious is for the end that mounts to the subframe, the 'bolts' are part of the assembly, so does this imply you can only torque it up once and if you ever need to undo it, you have to replace the whole assembly? or can you somehow obtain the 'bolt' side of this as a separate part ?.

Which bit is the lower stabiliser?
No idea what the lower stabiliser is , probably the same thing as the lower torque rod .. The two big nuts holding it to the subframe are not stretch studs , they are a generous size so normal studs but the nut is renewed , they have a new type of nut now with a built in washer . There is no angle torque listed for this by volvo .. it falls in the range of their list of stud size 8.8 quality standard torques for a particular stud diameter . I think the reason for stretch bolts on the gearbox end is that there is little space to fit any more substantial bolts so the stretch bolts are fitted to ensure a tight long lasting secure joint , there is a lot of stress on that joint .
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 17:09   #32
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Torqueing up

Decided to replace the gearbox mounting bolts, and the nuts on the subframe end as a 'just incase'. The problem with the gearbox end is there isnt sufficient room for your average torque wrench head, so only way here was to guesstimate the initial torque, you can only really get a ring spanner on this end, your usual 1/2" drive plus socket there just isnt room to use unless you were to remove the pipe that runs next to it.

Have posted some pics with the volvo P/Ns for the fixings to assist anyone else, the nut end now seems to be supplied as a nut plus separate washer (986485 is washer p/n), ones that were on there had the captive washer as part of the nut.

Hopefully the pics show the space at the gbox end, although one is a bit upside down!.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRod_02.JPG (66.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg TRod_01.JPG (107.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg TR_gboxbolt.JPG (42.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg TR_Sframenut.JPG (47.0 KB, 21 views)
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thassos For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 20:25   #33
Tim62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim62 View Post
Just got one from GSF, £30 all in.
And i've just returned it as it didn't fit!! Ordered a genuine part from the dealers for only £7.20 more and it's supplied with new nuts and bolts. A lesson learned as I will always check prices for genuine parts before assuming that pattern parts are the way to go.
Tim62 is offline   Reply With Quote