Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your x40 today???

Views : 1072998

Replies : 12937

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2017, 03:26   #11731
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
My new ones had the kink at the top end just like the old ones did, I was amazed how quick and easy they are to change, the only tricky bit was trying to hold the boot lid and fit the new strut and hold a mobile phone in my teeth to light up the area all at the same time haha
When I did my apprenticeship in the motor trade, the tool of choice was a broom, which sounds daft, but they work really well and is always handy. Mobile phones didn't exist.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2017, 09:12   #11732
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
When I did my apprenticeship in the motor trade, the tool of choice was a broom, which sounds daft, but they work really well and is always handy. Mobile phones didn't exist.
A fine idea, I should have done that really, that or used the forklift at work and rested the boot on the tines. I also managed to repair the leaking front pipe joint, again, this time I split it, re pasted it and used 2 u clamps, and also added a hi torque jubilee clip right at the very end so it just catches maybe 2mm of the exterior pipe, I think it's starting to splay which is causing side to side movement thus the leak keeps returning, using an 8mm socket on the jubilee clip seems to have pulled things in nicely.
Old Jan 14th, 2017, 15:20   #11733
AndyPants
VOC Member

Wasn't today, but last weekend I fitted smoked markers and rear flaps to my V40:

Truth be told I'm still not 100% sold on the smoked markers, but I do think they look better than the amber originals. May buy a set of clear ones as I do like them to stand out a bit more than the smoked ones, yet look more up to date than the amber ones.

Or... I could just not bother I'm supposed to be 'behaving' and not fettling this car too much... I'll fit the front mud flaps when its a bit warmer and treat a few stone chips at the same time Now on 73k miles...
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyPants For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2017, 18:08   #11734
druid
V40 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPants View Post
Wasn't today, but last weekend I fitted smoked markers and rear flaps to my V40:

Truth be told I'm still not 100% sold on the smoked markers, but I do think they look better than the amber originals. May buy a set of clear ones as I do like them to stand out a bit more than the smoked ones, yet look more up to date than the amber ones.

Or... I could just not bother I'm supposed to be 'behaving' and not fettling this car too much... I'll fit the front mud flaps when its a bit warmer and treat a few stone chips at the same time Now on 73k miles...
Nice looker, i am glad to see my colour with smoked - i prefer the clear now i have seen them. Did toy with the idea for a bit though.

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to druid For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2017, 19:34   #11735
V40Vinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid View Post
Nice looker, i am glad to see my colour with smoked - i prefer the clear now i have seen them. Did toy with the idea for a bit though.
347 Titanium Grey? it seems to be a common colour. My Sven is that colour. Yours looks great
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volvo.jpg (91.1 KB, 11 views)
V40Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V40Vinnie For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2017, 20:53   #11736
druid
V40 Owner

And this is Neville

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to druid For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2017, 23:15   #11737
neil stevenson

Received two new central locking fobs from Ebay (China) and changed the gubbins over with new batteries.

All working correctly and no black tape in sight now.
neil stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neil stevenson For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2017, 00:02   #11738
AndyPants
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid View Post
And this is Neville
Thanks for the comparison shot Gives me some food for thought. Like the crater alloys - look good!
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyPants For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2017, 10:16   #11739
Jebus
VOC Member

Crater alloys do look good, just waiting for one to come through the yard with them on and think if I fancy changing over, they don't quite go with the grandad image of the car i'm trying to keep, makes overtaking more fun lol

ordered up new rear wheel bearings to hopefully quieten down the noise from the rear end, just hope the stub axles are ok since can't be bothered with changing the whole arms

2005 S60 2.0T the baby T5
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jebus For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2017, 19:19   #11740
Beach Person

Bought a bunch of headlight bulbs from Lidl - went for the +50% reasoning that my trips to remote fishing and camping spots might benefit from it. As has been mentioned in these parts before, they are Wotan and come paired in excellent protective plastic cases. Going back tomorrow to get some for my Mum's Saxo if they have any left.

PS. Frustrated by the windscreen wiper selection. Allow me to explain and maybe someone will put me straight if I have the wrong end of the "stick". They come in pairs - both the same length but there is a covered back one which the packaging says is for the driver's side and an open backed one intended for the passenger side (though I am sure they are interchangeable). Well, most cars require two different lengths I think but not usually a problem to buy a pair as the second one can be a spare; but why sell them in matching length pairs with different furniture ?? Am I missing something or is that a daft way to retail wipers ?

Last edited by Beach Person; Jan 15th, 2017 at 19:27.
Beach Person is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacont4, bananahammock, mp3, mp3s, rubbisht4s, uttergarbage