Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help me find this rattle!

Views : 708

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 17th, 2014, 10:09   #1
theRsole

Default Help me find this rattle!

I've got a rattle coming from the offside of the car and it's doing my head in!
It's not all the time but usually noticeable when going over cobbled streets - quite a lot of them in edinburgh!
I've had bushes etc all done, new shocks - the garage thought it was a loose heat shield but I've had that before and it was all the time!
what is there that would rattle about - definitely sounds like something kinda springing back and forwards - any help/suggestions would be good, obviously I know my description is terrible...
theRsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 10:16   #2
gswede

Could very well be the rollbar endlinks. They wear out eventually. If indeed it is the endlinks, get new OEM parts. Do not opt for ipd hd links. Mine and many others lasted only a few months..
gswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 10:20   #3
theRsole

will investigate - had the roll bar bushes done and front wishbones done so would have hoped they could have spotted anything else under there!

Last edited by theRsole; Jul 17th, 2014 at 10:22.
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 11:54   #4
gswede

You can not visually determine if the end links are shot and I think rocking them about on a hoisted car would not reveal much either..

Diagnosing rattles and knocks over the web is not, and will never be accurate :-)
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 11:56   #5
theRsole

Quote:
Originally Posted by gswede View Post
You can not visually determine if the end links are shot and I think rocking them about on a hoisted car would not reveal much either..

Diagnosing rattles and knocks over the web is not, and will never be accurate :-)
obviously! but if you could tell me how to diagnose them I could at least try to figure it out… don't want to keep throwing money at it trying to find the problem by replacing parts, that's what the garage would do!
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 12:04   #6
gswede

I guess its an experience thing. Listening whilst driving. I must admit when it comes to noises and rattles I become paranoid and cant rest until resolved..lol

When they are completely shot you can easely knock them about with the car on a jack stand, ball play will reveal itself.
The thing is, they go noisy well before being completely worn

They seldom go faulty on both sides at once.. but they are always replaced in pairs. As one do with other suspension parts.

I`m sure you`ve been under the bonnet, excluding loose items there. Try turning the wheels over completely and shut her down. Get down low and se if there is any slack on the endlink joints wiggling them about.

Last edited by gswede; Jul 17th, 2014 at 12:07.
Old Jul 18th, 2014, 21:26   #7
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Just had a cam belt, aux drive belt and service done on a V50 2.0D. When I got the car home I noticed a drumming rattling noise mainly at idle but started to happen when driving. Tried all the usual bits and pieces. Eventually gave up and took it back to the garage and the noise had gone!! Finally it came back and they put it on the ramp and eventually found the clip that holds the 2 fuel pipes to the underside of the car(behind the engine) was loose in the hole in the metal. the noise sounded a lot louder than a loose clip! The clip was refitted so it was tight in the hole and the noise had gone. The sound seemed quite loud so the metalwork must have been acting as a sound box and making it sound louder. The fuel pipes were picking up the engine vibrations and the clip was vibrating in the hole. There is no way I would have though such a small clip could make such a noticeable noise.
Probably not the same type of noise but could be worth a check
Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2014, 10:00   #8
theRsole

cheers, I will have a look, really need to get a shot of a ramp and have a good poke about at it myself!
the end links kind of make sense as it pulls a bit to the side where the noise is - and if i replace them it will hopefully be the last thing that needs done!! no doubt there will be some other bill on the horizon after that!!
Old Jul 29th, 2014, 23:17   #9
theRsole

Slight update, found a couple of potential causes, pas pipes were out of clips and hitting bodywork, and the brake disc cover was out of shape and hitting something, got photos and a report from the garage, they were very good (found some other issues and did the wheel alignment to) hopefully the rattle stops for a bit