Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Urgent help please- s40d misfire and rough idle

Views : 575

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2014, 22:58   #1
volvoowneruk

Default Urgent help please- s40d misfire and rough idle

Hello everybody,

I am posting here hoping someone can shed some light on the troubles I am having with my car that is costing me a fortune at the moment.

Basically I have a 55 S40D 2.0 I am no mechanic and just taking the word of the local garage which seems to be nothing short of expensive repair options.

Car seemed to be misfiring at low RPM below3000 but it was very intermittent however noticeable in all gears. so I thought cheap option first make sure the connection to the injectors is not loose so i disconnected them all and reconnected, this made no difference. then I was led to believe the TCV could also be responsible for misfire so made sure that was disconnected which did not change anything, then I planned to disconnect each injector to see if that changed anything, however the first injector i disconnected i tried starting the car while the TCV was also was disconnected by mistake since then its been nothing but trouble.

The car initially struggled to start engine was turning over but took a while to start, then it started but was very very rough idle and engine had significant vibration , RPM was stuck at around 1100, no throttle response, then turned the engine off having realised the mistake reconnected the TCV and the injector cable but that did not revert the problems I was now faced with.

When I then after half an hour tried to start again it was struggling to start and spoke to a mechanic who said it seemed like its got air in fuel line. well its a long story, the fuel line was primed car starts but still was idling very rough and vibrations was still there and no throttle response, the mechanic said looks like at least one injectors gone, that was replaced still no success, then it was suggested the air in fuel line somehow destroyed a component on the ECU some kind of resistor, so that was sent away for diagnosis and it turns out nothing wrong with the ECU.

I don't know whats next bust its costing an absolute fortune soon its going to be more than what I paid for it. could someone please give me some advice as im really getting sick of what was otherwise a very nice car.

Just to add before the misfire business the car was in limp mode for a few weeks and the turbo would not come on except for the odd occasion when it decided to work really confusing.

is the TCV broke? or is it an issue with some kind of vacuum leak as i understand from my google research thats a possibility or is it something to do with the throttle body or is it something else?

Your advise will be greatly appreciated people.

Thank you

Last edited by volvoowneruk; Jul 28th, 2014 at 23:39.
volvoowneruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2014, 16:29   #2
138gat
138gat

Sounds to me like it could be as simple as the throttle body needs cleaning, there is a good guide on here somewhere.
That would be my starting point and also change the fuel filter
138gat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2014, 16:32   #3
138gat
138gat

Forgot to say, if it's been in limp get the codes read and see what it comes back with
138gat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2014, 17:16   #4
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 138gat View Post
Sounds to me like it could be as simple as the throttle body needs cleaning, there is a good guide on here somewhere.
That would be my starting point and also change the fuel filter
My thoughts exactly.

TT
Old Jul 29th, 2014, 20:01   #5
volvoowneruk

Smile

Thanks guys, I will inform the mechanic of this and see what he has to say. will update soon.
Old Jul 29th, 2014, 20:04   #6
volvoowneruk

Just a quick question, the fact the TCV was disconnected as well as one of the injector cables unplugged when i tried to start it could that have caused the problem with the air in fuel lines and the very obvious misfire which it now has compared to the intermittent misfire it had before?