Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Faulty fuel gauge

Views : 1281

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2023, 01:06   #1
Beadybc

Default Faulty fuel gauge

Turned the car on earlier and it had decided that there was no more fuel, which is strange since I put £50 worth of fuel in last night. So I went to fill up the tank and it only took £15 worth until it was full.

Whilst driving along the motorway the gauge crept up until it showed about 30% full but went no further than that for a while. After I came off the the motorway and drove around a bit it started fluctuating anywhere between 5% and 60%, it didn’t fluctuate quickly and it never went over 60% full.

Is my car a special self-generating fuel model or should I start looking for a problem somewhere?

1997 945 B230FK
Beadybc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beadybc For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2023, 07:20   #2
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadybc View Post
Is my car a special self-generating fuel model
Most likely.

Or, it can be faulty. You should probably remove the instrument cluster and inspect for a bad connection. A multimeter would help.
Or the tank sender is bad.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 07:59   #3
Beadybc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvadorP View Post
Most likely.

Or, it can be faulty. You should probably remove the instrument cluster and inspect for a bad connection. A multimeter would help.
Or the tank sender is bad.
What connection would I be using the multimeter on and what reading should I be getting?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beadybc For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2023, 09:14   #4
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Temperamental fuel gauges are a well known issue on 7 and 9 series cars, 'Beadybc'. I lived with one for years. Just brimmed the tank every time, zeroed the trip, drove c250 miles and repeat. Carried a 5L can for emergencies. I never had cause to use it myself, but was able to help out a number of other motorists!

Regards, John.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 11:22   #5
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadybc View Post
What connection would I be using the multimeter on and what reading should I be getting?
This guy had a similar issue and he goes through the process of diagnostic and fixing it in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWq4TIeSSv0&t=550s

Also this thread from another forum might have useful info for you: https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...-issues-82850/

Last edited by SalvadorP; May 3rd, 2023 at 11:24.
SalvadorP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SalvadorP For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2023, 13:17   #6
Forrest
VOC Member

There is fairly comprehensive trouble-shooting guidance in the FAQ too.

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Ele...augeFluctuates

There should be a multi-plug connector in the luggage compartment area which makes it reasonably simple to interrupt the circuit to the sender for testing purposes. There are four wires in this connector. The thinner ones are for the fuel gauge and the thicker ones for the in-tank pump.

Getting the instrument cluster out on a 940 is quite simple. Accessing the fuel sender a bit less so. This may influence the order in which you test components.

Good luck.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2023, 19:31   #7
gpl1968
VOC Member

If your gauge is sticking in one position it could be a worn contact on the fuel tank sender.

In the above pic the left hand part is the good one. The part is attached to a float in the fuel level sender and it slides up and down two coiled resistor wires with the rectangular ends making contact, one to each resistor wire. The right hand part is worn with the rectangular contact patches worn and liable to catch on the resistor wires giving a bad reading on the fuel gauge.

I had this problem and managed to silver solder replacement rectangles onto the part using nickel silver. It works fine now although it still sticks sometimes.

There is an article on the subject in the FAQ: linky.

1997 945 CD (B230FK) [RIP: 1991 945 Turbo (B230FT) 1992 945 SE turbo (B200FT)]
gpl1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gpl1968 For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2023, 22:59   #8
Beadybc

Ok so it is definitely the in tank unit that is the problem. I tapped the body above the unit with a rubber mallet and the car started reading 60% full instead of empty. It should have about 80-90% fuel so it's getting stuck at 60%.

Took the unit out to confirm and found that past a certain point of raising up, the float does get stiffer. Basically, closer to the top end it does not slide up smoothly anymore.

P.S: I did do the checks with a multimeter on the back of the fuel gauge and found that it was working.

Last edited by Beadybc; May 4th, 2023 at 23:13.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beadybc For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2023, 01:26   #9
Forrest
VOC Member

Following on from gpl1968’s post a related issue I have seen once in a spare tank sender unit I had available is the two coiled resistor wires coming adrift at the bottom of the telescopic tube in which they are housed. I am not sure how they are meant to be fixed there. There are two small holes in the bottom of the tube in which they are supposed to sit. It is easy enough to check whether the resistor coils are still in these holes and, if they have come adrift, you can at a pinch reposition them by manipulating the top ends without having to dismantle the assembly. What I never got around to testing is whether that is it or whether they should be clipped, glued, etc. in position.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2023, 06:27   #10
mjk164
VOC Member

I had just this on my 1993 960 some years ago now, and Gavin (gpl1968) describes it very well. Getting the sender unit out of the tank is fiddley and needs patience but I also soldered new rectangular ends onto the existing carrier and it has worked well for several years. Be bold and get at it!
Good luck.
mjk164 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mjk164 For This Useful Post:

Tags
940, 945, b230, b230fk, fuel