Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rust advice needed

Views : 2751

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 28th, 2023, 13:11   #11
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Never seen an oil pressure gauge on a 940.
No, but it’s the only thing I could think of that fluctuates!🤔
Old Jun 28th, 2023, 13:17   #12
abtx

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Do you mean water temp ?
Hmm, the one on the very right of the cluster.
Old Jun 28th, 2023, 13:18   #13
abtx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Or oil pressure?
Maybe I'm just being an idiot and it's oil pressure gauge?
Old Jun 28th, 2023, 13:20   #14
abtx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
That is probably as cancerous on the inside as out. Cut it out, weld in new metal, treat the cavity and paint the outside, and do it before they start salting the roads again.

The other parts I'd clean up and spray with Lanoguard, the most effective rust inhibitor and the easiest to apply.
Guess I'll have to visit a garage and assess what needs to be welded then! The cleanup with angle grinder and rust blocker I can do myself. Will do all this this summer.
Old Jun 28th, 2023, 13:50   #15
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtx View Post
Water temperature bud. It should stay fairly stable.🤔
Old Jun 28th, 2023, 19:45   #16
baggy798
🤍💙💗

I'd have skipped on buying the car based on that 3rd picture. Did you get it cheap?
Old Jun 28th, 2023, 22:19   #17
Roadtoknowhere

Hi ABTX, you and me both, I bought a 1991 940 2.0 Auto yesterday too!! Wanted one for ages. Some of your pics could have been taken under my car! I have some experience of rust / Lanoguard on my Rav4. The prep is not as easy as they make out unless you're happy to spray it on top of years of road crud. It is easy to apply but I found the spray bottle they supplied was completely useless, only worked for a few minutes before clogging. They sent me two replacements, same. I bought a cheap pump up pressure spray from Euro Car Parts, this works a treat. My Rav was pretty crusty in places so not great. I gave it several coats after thorough cleaning, wire brushing & rust converter in the worst spots. This was 12 months ago. Started a pre MOT inspection a few days ago and found one of the box sections at the rear had rusted through so needs welding. To be fair, it probably rotted out from the inside and started long before my ownership. Although I put some Lano inside, it is hard to be sure you have complete coverage. Bottom line, Lanoguard is best applied before rust has set in! On rusty metal it helps hold it at bay if you have complete coverage but is no magic bullet. Will post some pics of mine when I start work on it. I'm impressed enough with Lano to use it on the 940. Good luck!
Roadtoknowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roadtoknowhere For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2023, 00:10   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtx View Post
is it in the bottom of the rev counter? If so, it's the boost gauge (if you have the HPT or someone has changed the cluster) or it will be, as previously mentioned, the water temp gauge.
If it's that, the cluster probably needs repair and other gauges will follow in time if it's a PCB problem on the back of the cluster or if it's the gauge itself, likely to die completely although one PCB fault can also cause that.

Try setting the heater to hottest, directing air to the vents and fan on full with the outer drivers side air vent open - if that makes the gauge behave after running for a few minutes, likelihood is a dry joint on the cluster PCB. Open your window and aim the vent out the window or you'll cook in this weather!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2023, 09:00   #19
abtx

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy798 View Post
I'd have skipped on buying the car based on that 3rd picture. Did you get it cheap?
Cheapest around, but not cheap - 1.9k. Bought it from a garage. I should've paid more attention to the MOT advisories. I'm willing to spend some money though on welding if necessary, just hope that it will be worth it (and that I'll find a garage that will take it on).

Last edited by abtx; Jun 29th, 2023 at 09:06.
abtx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to abtx For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 29th, 2023, 09:09   #20
abtx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtoknowhere View Post
Hi ABTX, you and me both, I bought a 1991 940 2.0 Auto yesterday too!! Wanted one for ages. Some of your pics could have been taken under my car! I have some experience of rust / Lanoguard on my Rav4. The prep is not as easy as they make out unless you're happy to spray it on top of years of road crud. It is easy to apply but I found the spray bottle they supplied was completely useless, only worked for a few minutes before clogging. They sent me two replacements, same. I bought a cheap pump up pressure spray from Euro Car Parts, this works a treat. My Rav was pretty crusty in places so not great. I gave it several coats after thorough cleaning, wire brushing & rust converter in the worst spots. This was 12 months ago. Started a pre MOT inspection a few days ago and found one of the box sections at the rear had rusted through so needs welding. To be fair, it probably rotted out from the inside and started long before my ownership. Although I put some Lano inside, it is hard to be sure you have complete coverage. Bottom line, Lanoguard is best applied before rust has set in! On rusty metal it helps hold it at bay if you have complete coverage but is no magic bullet. Will post some pics of mine when I start work on it. I'm impressed enough with Lano to use it on the 940. Good luck!
Glad to hear, congrats on your Volvo! I've not got any experience with rust so this is going to be an adventure for sure I'm thinking about doing necessary welding first and then DIY anything I can DIY. Thanks for the advice, will come in handy most definitely. Enjoy your Volvo brick!

Tags
940, advice, corroded, rust, structure