Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 - D2 vs D4

Views : 2080

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2023, 23:39   #1
Bigjoan2

Default V70 - D2 vs D4

Coming from a Subaru Outback and having been playing with a friends V70, I've decided I need one in my life.

Times being what they are, fuel economy is important. Looking at a 2015 D2 but concerned that any MPG claims may be offput by having to rag the engine. I don't drive fast so I don't think I will be too bothered but just wanted to get a general idea of how the engine performs and does it get anywhere near the listed MPG numbers in normal use?

The other option is a 2014 D4 which obviously has higher listed mpg and tax but a more powerful engine.

I guess I'm asking for reassurance that the D2 engine isn't awful and I wont be constantly wishing id gone for the D4.

Thanks for your time.
Bigjoan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2023, 05:54   #2
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjoan2 View Post
Coming from a Subaru Outback and having been playing with a friends V70, I've decided I need one in my life.

Times being what they are, fuel economy is important. Looking at a 2015 D2 but concerned that any MPG claims may be offput by having to rag the engine. I don't drive fast so I don't think I will be too bothered but just wanted to get a general idea of how the engine performs and does it get anywhere near the listed MPG numbers in normal use?

The other option is a 2014 D4 which obviously has higher listed mpg and tax but a more powerful engine.

I guess I'm asking for reassurance that the D2 engine isn't awful and I wont be constantly wishing id gone for the D4.

Thanks for your time.
By all accounts, the D2 is under-powered. Also, it doesn't have a Volvo engine.

Before any other suggestions can be made, however, does your new car need to be ULEZ-compliant?
Old Sep 25th, 2023, 07:36   #3
Bigjoan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
By all accounts, the D2 is under-powered. Also, it doesn't have a Volvo engine.

Before any other suggestions can be made, however, does your new car need to be ULEZ-compliant?
No it doesn't need to be ULEZ compliant.

It just needs to be a big estate and be decent on the fuel. Its going to be primarily short journeys unfortunately but with an amount of long journeys thrown in.
Old Sep 25th, 2023, 07:39   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

The D2 has a 4 cylinder 1.6 diesel Peugeot/Citroen derived engine which is also found in the BMW Mini amongst others. Who would have thought in the late 1980's that one day you would be able to buy Volvo's largest estate with a engine from a Mini?

It has to work hard in the V70 and hence is not really at home in it, and performance is mediocre though acceptable to some. I think the main reason it existed was it had very low company car tax.

That said though I know several members on here have them and are very happy with them, some with big miles too, but they will be lavished with maintenance. Interestingly the service interval in the V70 D2 is just 12,500 miles, whereas the same car with Volvo engines are 18,000 miles. That engine has known issues if the oil isn't kept clean.

But I'd still say avoid it because whilst not a bad engine it's nowhere near as reliable as the Volvo engines and they're dog slow up steep hills and/or when loaded with passengers.

The D2 made the V70 affordable to company car drivers and private buyers of new cars when they were new, they don't make as much sense second hand when the price differential to models with Volvo engines is much lower.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2023, 08:56   #5
simboc2004
SimboC2004

My wife has a 2013 C30 with the D2 engine and it's not quick in that application, let alone a car weighing considerably more... It does average 60mpg, though. And it lost an injector at 35,000 miles...

I would have the D4 any day - just for the torque. They are prone to piston ring clogging and high oil consumption before 2015/16 though, so, if an earlier one than that, ensure it has been fixed.

Past: '90 944 2.0 turbo, '91 944 2.0, '92 945 2.0 turbo, '95 945 2.3 HPT, '09 C30 2.0D R Design 180bhp+, '13 C30 D2 Lux.

Last edited by simboc2004; Sep 25th, 2023 at 08:59.
simboc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simboc2004 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2023, 10:30   #6
Bigjoan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by simboc2004 View Post
My wife has a 2013 C30 with the D2 engine and it's not quick in that application, let alone a car weighing considerably more... It does average 60mpg, though. And it lost an injector at 35,000 miles...

I would have the D4 any day - just for the torque. They are prone to piston ring clogging and high oil consumption before 2015/16 though, so, if an earlier one than that, ensure it has been fixed.
When you say ensure it has been fixed, is that something Volvo did for the later cars? Is there a way to check?
Old Sep 25th, 2023, 10:44   #7
Moomoo
VOC Member

I went from a D5 V70 to a V70 1.6 Drive. I was determined to hate it but it grew on me. A trip to France saw it well exceed 1000 miles before a fill up.
Forty miles a day commute saw it trouble free up to 150k, I bought it at 90k. On my retirement it did soot up the dpf but after a lot of money spent the problems turned out to be the fuel filter, ( won’t bore you with the details).
If you go on a good blast regularly I’d have no hesitation buying one. They’re fine when wound up, 32mph per thousand rpm, long legged. I think they were badged as Drive because you are definitely involved in the journey!

Just my pen’ath.🤔

Last edited by Moomoo; Sep 25th, 2023 at 12:24.
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2023, 20:12   #8
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjoan2 View Post
No it doesn't need to be ULEZ compliant.

It just needs to be a big estate and be decent on the fuel. Its going to be primarily short journeys unfortunately but with an amount of long journeys thrown in.
Short journey’s and diesel don’t go too well. Definitely make sure it gets some motorway trips as often as possible and don’t use cheap supermarket fuel.

Personally, I’d stay clear of the D2.
Old Sep 25th, 2023, 20:23   #9
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
That engine has known issues if the oil isn't kept clean.
Like all engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
But I'd still say avoid it because whilst not a bad engine it's nowhere near as reliable as the Volvo engines and they're dog slow up steep hills and/or when loaded with passengers.
Not true, owned one for 6 years now and it can pull fine up hills fully loaded. The engine has been VERY reliable and zero issues with it in 60,000 miles of use. I do look after it and change the oil at 10,000 mile intervals. Cheap to tax and insure and I can still break every speed limit. It won't get you into the ULEZ zone even though it produces well under the limit set by councils. If you are looking for a fast car this is not for you but maybe you have grown out of the mindset by now where speed is everything. Try and test-drive one somewhere before you decide.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShadeTek For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2023, 20:48   #10
Bigjoan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTek View Post
Like all engines.

Not true, owned one for 6 years now and it can pull fine up hills fully loaded. The engine has been VERY reliable and zero issues with it in 60,000 miles of use. I do look after it and change the oil at 10,000 mile intervals. Cheap to tax and insure and I can still break every speed limit. It won't get you into the ULEZ zone even though it produces well under the limit set by councils. If you are looking for a fast car this is not for you but maybe you have grown out of the mindset by now where speed is everything. Try and test-drive one somewhere before you decide.

Have you had any issues with the powershift? Ive read on this forum that many prefer the geartronic. Do all the d2 v70s come with powershift?