Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

When will MY25 be due

Views : 2291

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2023, 14:31   #11
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discoman View Post
Most people do the sums and/or don't like that the spec upgrades delete some items. I want a heated windscreen (unavailable of the Ultimate), like the more basic seats, don't want bling wheels with low profile tyres (I've got sports cars for that use) and don't like how the 4WD/electric only mode works on the plug ins. Therefore I just want to buy my car again basically.

I also think that once you are spending such a large amount of money, personalisation (to a degree) is nice. Porsche understand this.

No Porsches method is to offer you less than most people offer and charge you for it that is another thing entirely, well that was my experience of 718 GTS buying, the high end GTS base model comes with bugger all kit and you basically spend 10k to match the spec of another brands car before you even start personalising

I'd rather have a well specced fixed car than all that profiteering from personalization but that's me, bit of a tight arse, think that is why I always ended up in an Alfa back in the day than a BMW as they used to do the same.

As for the 4wd system, don't they all work much the same in this area, 2wd for efficiency then the 4wd kicks in when needed, the PHEV is no different, just delivered in a different way, which if you wanted it on all the time you could just switch on.

Last edited by sandys; Dec 2nd, 2023 at 14:39.
sandys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2023, 15:03   #12
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys View Post
As for the 4wd system, don't they all work much the same in this area, 2wd for efficiency then the 4wd kicks in when needed, the PHEV is no different, just delivered in a different way, which if you wanted it on all the time you could just switch on.
No, most of the other brands do the PHEV bit very differently to Volvo.
Volvo have the electric drive on the rear axle and petrol drive on the front axle so its an eAWD system with no actual connection between the 2 drive systems. On the Volvo, you have to operate both petrol and electric at the same time to get AWD.
Audi, VW, BMW, Porsche and JLR have the electric motor and petrol engine as suppliers to the 4wd gearbox and as such, either electric drive or petrol drive by themselves operate the full 4wd system.

Horses for courses really, the Volvo has less drivetrain loses and so can use a smaller battery to get the same electric range but the other have full time 4wd with either power source running.
Having driven others, I still prefer the Volvo method as the electric motor is smoother due to its single gear whereas the others still have gear changes to go through when driving in electric so it feels more jerky & cumbersome.

Saying all this, my next car will likely be one of the competitors with the more conventional drive system as Volvo no longer sell the Polestar Engineered in the UK, I dont like the handling balance of the standard Volvo cars (too soft and soggy for my liking) and I'm not ready to go full EV just yet.

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2023, 15:05   #13
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
I'm off to look at VW or Audi for my next car.
If you don't mind lightly used, there are some cracking deals if you search, for second owners. Just picked up a great A8 where the depreciation for the previous owner was horrific !
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2023, 15:20   #14
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk546 View Post
No, most of the other brands do the PHEV bit very differently to Volvo.
Volvo have the electric drive on the rear axle and petrol drive on the front axle so its an eAWD system with no actual connection between the 2 drive systems. On the Volvo, you have to operate both petrol and electric at the same time to get AWD.
Audi, VW, BMW, Porsche and JLR have the electric motor and petrol engine as suppliers to the 4wd gearbox and as such, either electric drive or petrol drive by themselves operate the full 4wd system.
Yup I understand the differences on the eAWD but regardless of the implementation it doesn't change how they function, they are all setup to be 2wd until 4wd is needed, the difference here is rather than have a clutched torque splitting transfer box, all that is removed for direct drive motor on rear.

Ultimately is its the same, with the other guys the rear is not engaged until slip, on the Volvo the front is engaged on slip if on e drive, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference, and all systems let you set constant AWD if you want it.
Old Dec 2nd, 2023, 18:26   #15
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Yup I understand the differences on the eAWD but regardless of the implementation it doesn't change how they function, they are all setup to be 2wd until 4wd is needed, the difference here is rather than have a clutched torque splitting transfer box, all that is removed for direct drive motor on rear.

Ultimately is its the same, with the other guys the rear is not engaged until slip, on the Volvo the front is engaged on slip if on e drive, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference, and all systems let you set constant AWD if you want it.
Again, not always the case, this all depends on the type of 4wd system in use on the car. The majority of the competitions 4wd systems operate a full time 4wd with a variable torque split between front and rear axles. The toque split will always send power to both axles but the split will vary depending on which axle needs it most e.g. Audi's Torsen 4wd system.
The systems you are talking about are the likes of a Haldex 4wd system which only sends drive to one axle until it detects slip, at which point an electrically controlled clutch pack engages and sends power to the other axle.

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2023, 22:20   #16
Discoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrikas PA View Post
If you don't mind lightly used, there are some cracking deals if you search, for second owners. Just picked up a great A8 where the depreciation for the previous owner was horrific !
Love an A8, had a 4.2 petrol then a 3.0 diesel back when Audi sold then six months old for less than half RRP.
Old Dec 2nd, 2023, 22:25   #17
Discoman

Quote:
No Porsches method is to offer you less than most people offer and charge you for it that is another thing entirely, well that was my experience of 718 GTS buying, the high end GTS base model comes with bugger all kit and you basically spend 10k to match the spec of another brands car before you even start personalising

I'd rather have a well specced fixed car than all that profiteering from personalization but that's me, bit of a tight arse, think that is why I always ended up in an Alfa back in the day than a BMW as they used to do the same.

As for the 4wd system, don't they all work much the same in this area, 2wd for efficiency then the 4wd kicks in when needed, the PHEV is no different, just delivered in a different way, which if you wanted it all the time you could just switch on.
I don't like how the Volvo PHEV powertrain works. Most won't mind but other makes do it better IMHO. I test drove a 718 GTS to replace an Italian V8 a few years ago and thought the inline six sounded like a bag of spanners. Much preferred the turbo six in the 992 and the updated interior. Bought neither in the end as dealer took two years to not deliver a 992 so lost interest and am largely past wanting that sort of car now.

It would be good if Volvo could cater to both tastes in terms of options or packages. Land Rover seem to manage the middle ground and agree that Porsche at times are unbelievable - only part electric seats on the 992 for example. Spec on the SUVs is better, thankfully.
Old Dec 2nd, 2023, 23:07   #18
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

Quote:
I test drove a 718 GTS to replace an Italian V8 a few years ago and thought the inline six sounded like a bag of spanners.
Its a 4.0 Boxer 6 like the GT4, basically a slightly detuned GT4 which is a bored/stroked non turbo 992 engine, no inlines, but yeah like the GT4 and 911 not the best sounding thing at low rpm but up top, lovely, you may have tested the earlier 2.5 4 cylinder boxer GTS which is even worse.

Last edited by sandys; Dec 2nd, 2023 at 23:43.
sandys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2023, 08:24   #19
Discoman

Quote:
Its a 4.0 Boxer 6 like the GT4, basically a slightly detuned GT4 which is a bored/stroked non turbo 992 engine, no inlines, but yeah like the GT4 and 911 not the best sounding thing at low rpm but up top, lovely, you may have tested the earlier 2.5 4 cylinder boxer GTS which is even worse.
Yes it was the six. I was impressed with the comments on noise from CAR magazine etc and remembered a 987S I had had new in 2005 but after the drive I realised that GPFs had killed the noise I want from a weekend car. It is a great car, mind, but regulations have already pushed manufacturers' too much into a corner for me. Hence not being that bothered by the white goods noise of a Volvo petrol 4 which needs the radio up at high revs!

PS Had not noticed I had written inline for some reason.
Old Dec 3rd, 2023, 08:54   #20
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Hence not being that bothered by the white goods noise of a Volvo petrol 4 which needs the radio up at high revs!
I've just gone from my D5 2.4 hybrid to a V6 3.0 TDi - the Audi beats it hands down aurally, especially when the engine is cold, where the Volvo was awful. I used to dread the engine cutting in around town after the battery had run out ! Even my A6 Allroad was smoother at 160,000m when sold.

P.s. Speaking boxer engines, I still rate my prodrive Impreza turbo for noise
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote