Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I asked this of Volvo CS and got this reply

Views : 4207

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 26th, 2014, 21:21   #11
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

I could see and understand why the T5 would not be an option for yourself on that mileage alone.

Not really remember Volvo are not a charity they are a business like any other ultimately it is not about having every product or version under the sun (although certain German brands seem hell bent on creating a niche that does simply not exist) they are there to sell cars hence why you end up with SPA and VEA engines from Volvo (as well as the likes of the majority of models having D2 or D3 engines).

It depends how you define "need" v a perceived need and a want. In honesty I think Brodick is spot on, ultimately you complained about the Octavia's ground clearance it solves that, you have said that the FWD cars have never had an issue with your needs, so why is there a "perceived need" for a 4WD model?

It won't help in majority of circumstances you are just lugging it around for the sake of it, you appear to understand the nature and importance of tyres so that is one thing, but even 4WD does not get you away from that need to change them.

Ultimately though the simple answer is to go try them and make a decision. I don't really see a point going 4WD as it is just another thing to screw up and from the information it is more a perceived need or maybe even just a simple want when FWD has posed no problems to yourself before, all for the sake of constantly simply in 90% of cases of being a drain on your own finances (additional purchase cost, tax, fuel, tyres). Or maybe you simply don't want a Volvo anymore and want a propeller badge.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 21:38   #12
tickedon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loskie View Post
Never too sure why people get too hung up on tax. Spread over a year the cost is minimal.
IMHO there's a pretty big difference between £20/£30 pa and £105+. It might only be a few pounds a month difference, but, (and while it's not an issue for me) for some people operating on 'tight' margins each month, £30 is a lot easier to swallow and manage vs £105 which would perhaps require them to cut elsewhere or stick it on a credit card.

I do however agree with your point on wheel/tyre sizes, I'm much happier with a smaller set of wheels, but I think it's equally important to have other options for those who prefer things differently.
tickedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 22:10   #13
Brodick
Master Member

Quote:
Brodick for most wanting AWD the running costs of the T5 are likely to be prohibitive.
You seem very defensive of Volvo and their marketing decision on this, not sure why. They are going from providing practical, sensible cars to providing style over substance. However most other manufacturers follow this trend too. I guess they have tuned in to the wants of the materialistic, image obsessed consumer rather than those who want a car to meet every day needs.

In my humble opinion Volvo are missing a trick with this approach.
Not defending them so much as just plain agreeing with them.
It makes good business sense what they are doing. ( on certain things anyway)
I don't see the point or need of a small hatch sized car with AWD. Just stick the right sort of tyres on it and you will get the same sort or results if not better.
On the other hand any suv from say a Skoda yeti up must offer awd/4x4 as std or cost option.
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 22:49   #14
Loskie

Exactly!! offer it with an appropriate wheel and tyre combination as I said in the first place and in my e mail to Volvo.
Having been involved in the agricultural support industry for 25 yrs and driving 60000m per year in the early years and latterly 20000m per year surprisingly I have a fair idea of what I am talking about.
AND the Volvo V40CC is hardly a big seller so maybe Volvo ARE NOT making good business sense. As far as the "ordinary" V40 goes then maybe as a lot will be fleet co cars, motability or hire cars.
Loskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 23:46   #15
Brodick
Master Member

Quote:
Exactly!! offer it with an appropriate wheel and tyre combination as I said in the first place and in my e mail to Volvo.
Having been involved in the agricultural support industry for 25 yrs and driving 60000m per year in the early years and latterly 20000m per year surprisingly I have a fair idea of what I am talking about.
AND the Volvo V40CC is hardly a big seller so maybe Volvo ARE NOT making good business sense. As far as the "ordinary" V40 goes then maybe as a lot will be fleet co cars, motability or hire cars.
No, I didn't say anything about wheels. However 17" 18" wheels should still cope just fine with the right tyres on.

If the said owner is not happy with the tyres supplied and the dealer will not supply all season clinch the deal then either walk away or go and buy a decent set of all seasons and sell the stock tyres on ebay

Last edited by Brodick; Feb 26th, 2014 at 23:47. Reason: change
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 19:01   #16
Loskie

So what market do you all think the V40 CC is aimed at if not just the "vanity market"?
Thanks
Loskie
Loskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 19:38   #17
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

In my op it is aimed at the people that want a pumped up hatchback in this size of car without having a full blown crossover vehicle, it is almost Juke esque really. Of which the only reason people have them is for perceived safety increase and visibility. 4WD is not necessary as in honesty the lack of ground clearance and general necessity for 4WD is frankly not needed for the type of terrain, in my view many cars fitted with the correct equipment and driven in the correct fashion should have no need for any form of 4WD.

As for wheel size that goes for every manufacturer, I mean an astra now comes with a 19" wheel, I think some Volvo's now are running 19 as an option.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2014, 09:44   #18
Falmouthboy

As per the OP, it does frustrate me that the 'better' cars in any range (not just Volvo) drive you down the bigger wheel route. Why not offer the smaller wheels as so no cost option - they are there as standard on their 'lesser' spec versions so it isn't as if it would cost any more.

For me in the back lanes of Cornwall I don't need a 4x4 or even a 4WD car, I do want a car able to cope with the deplorable roads (having just replaced a 17" low profile tyre on our V50 - destroyed by a pot hole). The extra 'give' in a 16" wheel/tyre combination would probably have coped.
Falmouthboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2014, 10:39   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Fiat and Peugeot will fit winter and all season tyres as a no cost option. Also offer so called "trick" traction aids. Not sure if they are good in practice but the theory sounds right.

As for BMW Xdrive yes I realise the tax is a bit more but that is not really an issue my V50 is £175 plus I get 45mpg.

But overall I think you may have missed my point in that currently the V40CC is all show and little substance for it. With a few tweaks(all season tyres/sensible size being one, 4wd or trick traction aids being another) then it could be made much better, more suited to the market I think Volvo are aiming for. Or maybe it's just for the "vanity" country market not the real world of vets, midwifes etc who work in the country but at 45 pence per mile claimable struggle to find a suitable car for their needs that can be covered by their expenses.

As an aside to this my 1999 octavia was top of the range had 15" and 195/65/15 tyres the most common tyre fitment at that time. Now my V50 16" 205/55/16 again the current most common fitment. The 15" were more than adequate as for the fad for 18 and 19" wheels it is nothing but show, ignorance and high tyre costs no real world benefit.

Never too sure why people get too hung up on tax. Spread over a year the cost is minimal.
So do volvo, it is standard and called DSTC ...
Old Aug 23rd, 2014, 03:26   #20
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Fiat and Peugeot will fit winter and all season tyres as a no cost option. Also offer so called "trick" traction aids. Not sure if they are good in practice but the theory sounds right.

As for BMW Xdrive yes I realise the tax is a bit more but that is not really an issue my V50 is £175 plus I get 45mpg.

But overall I think you may have missed my point in that currently the V40CC is all show and little substance for it. With a few tweaks(all season tyres/sensible size being one, 4wd or trick traction aids being another) then it could be made much better, more suited to the market I think Volvo are aiming for. Or maybe it's just for the "vanity" country market not the real world of vets, midwifes etc who work in the country but at 45 pence per mile claimable struggle to find a suitable car for their needs that can be covered by their expenses.

As an aside to this my 1999 octavia was top of the range had 15" and 195/65/15 tyres the most common tyre fitment at that time. Now my V50 16" 205/55/16 again the current most common fitment. The 15" were more than adequate as for the fad for 18 and 19" wheels it is nothing but show, ignorance and high tyre costs no real world benefit.

Volvo consumer services are not exactly right. The Cross Country version is not just a matter of style, it has different suspension with an extra 40mm of travel and big tyres and more ground clearance as standard. And it does work. I was surprised how good it was.

Volvo fit big brake disks relative to the size of their wheels.

If you want even more ground clearance then there is the XC60 in either 2 wheel drive or AWD.

Tyre choice is even more important than the type of drive fitted. I've seen Range Rovers stuck and skidding about simply because they had the wrong tyres fitted. The XC 60 FWD has 80% of the traction of the AWD version.

The V40 Cross Country has trick traction aids as do all Volvos and all Land Rovers. (And probably any European designed car on the market as it's standard as part of the ABS) My Range Rover has even more trick traction aids than my XC90 but the XC 90 appears to be capable of going across any field the Range Rover can. My wife won't let me try the V40 XC in the fields yet.

If you buy a new V40 most dealers will change the tyres for you so I've heard. You'll get around 75 to 84 mpg with the D2 engine and only slightly less with the new D4 190 bhp engine

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Aug 23rd, 2014 at 03:29.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post: