Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 door handles - pinching fingers

Views : 6160

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 1st, 2015, 20:13   #21
minng

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCroc View Post
Ordered, delivered and fitted. Looks fine too!
Makes you wonder why Volvo didn't fit this.

Here's a thought: The car is loaded with admirable but expensive safety features - city safety, pedestrian airbag, etc. etc. that probably/hopefully might never be deployed.
Yet here we have a parcel shelf that presents a risk of injury every time anyone accesses the boot that could have been eliminated for a mere fraction of the cost of the aforementioned. Weird logic.
Old Jul 1st, 2015, 20:22   #22
OldCroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by minng View Post
Makes you wonder why Volvo didn't fit this.

Here's a thought: The car is loaded with admirable but expensive safety features - city safety, pedestrian airbag, etc. etc. that probably/hopefully might never be deployed.
Yet here we have a parcel shelf that presents a risk of injury every time anyone accesses the boot that could have been eliminated for a mere fraction of the cost of the aforementioned. Weird logic.
Yes, and the other 'non-safety feature' which is the little green indicator lamp on the light switch to let you know if the headlights are on! You have to be a contortionist to see if it is on or not.
Old Jul 27th, 2015, 20:55   #23
conedia

Agree with minng. Lots of expensive stuff that rarely if ever gets used, yet so many little features that are on 'lesser' cars are missing on the V40. I have had a reasonably high spec V40 Powershift for a week now (bought used from main dealer), and feel like in many respects I've gone back in time compared to what I had before - 2007 Citroen C5 Exclusive automatic. On the V40, no tilting outside mirrors, no auto dimming rear view mirror, no power seats, no hill holder (even the automatic C5 came with that), no front parking sensors, no self levelling suspension (well, OK, not available anywhere except on a Citroen), no auto rear wiper (mine does not sweep when wipers are on and reverse engaged - hell even my wife's old Citroen C2 had that), no ski hatch in rear seat, no separate driver and front passenger arm rests, and probably others yet to discover. Don't get me wrong - I am impressed with the V40 in many ways, and it is a nice car, just that for the money it doesn't seem like a step up from what I had before.
conedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2015, 21:46   #24
Brodick
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conedia View Post
Agree with minng. Lots of expensive stuff that rarely if ever gets used, yet so many little features that are on 'lesser' cars are missing on the V40. I have had a reasonably high spec V40 Powershift for a week now (bought used from main dealer), and feel like in many respects I've gone back in time compared to what I had before - 2007 Citroen C5 Exclusive automatic. On the V40, no tilting outside mirrors, no auto dimming rear view mirror, no power seats, no hill holder (even the automatic C5 came with that), no front parking sensors, no self levelling suspension (well, OK, not available anywhere except on a Citroen), no auto rear wiper (mine does not sweep when wipers are on and reverse engaged - hell even my wife's old Citroen C2 had that), no ski hatch in rear seat, no separate driver and front passenger arm rests, and probably others yet to discover. Don't get me wrong - I am impressed with the V40 in many ways, and it is a nice car, just that for the money it doesn't seem like a step up from what I had before.
All that stuff is put on the citroen to help it sell. Volvo, BMW, Lexus, Mercedes need to offer less freebies and so can charge for them as extras at will.
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2015, 08:20   #25
conedia

Perhaps Brodick - but it was there nonetheless, for whatever reason, and I miss it! Another little thing I discovered in yesterday's rain - the wipers don't self park after switching off the engine. Crikey, all our Citroens have done that for years, and even my wife's current £9k bottom of the line Vauxhall Corsa does that. Yet a late model £29k V40 doesn't. As we used to say in Canada, go figure.
Old Jul 28th, 2015, 08:53   #26
chiptivo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conedia View Post
Perhaps Brodick - but it was there nonetheless, for whatever reason, and I miss it! Another little thing I discovered in yesterday's rain - the wipers don't self park after switching off the engine. Crikey, all our Citroens have done that for years, and even my wife's current £9k bottom of the line Vauxhall Corsa does that. Yet a late model £29k V40 doesn't. As we used to say in Canada, go figure.

I think this is by design because you can't change the front wipers when they are the standard park position on the V40
Old Jul 28th, 2015, 09:20   #27
conedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiptivo View Post
I think this is by design because you can't change the front wipers when they are the standard park position on the V40
Makes sense - but then how do other manufacturers allow for this? On Citroens, I believe there is some way a garage can activate the wipers from the park position to vertical (and occasionally they would do it on their own! I would come back to the car and there they were, in the vertical position).

Oh well, I probably will live with my V40, what is still a nice car, for many years, but I certainly will be more careful next time on choosing my car.
Old Jul 28th, 2015, 11:24   #28
Marc01

You can park the wipers in the upright position for maintenance and cleaning, you just have to look through the onboard owners manual for instruction on how to do it. And mine always self park. I only ever use auto wipers.
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2015, 18:45   #29
volvo for ever
Premier Member

you can change wiper when in parked positio easier to lift bonnet to renew o/s/f the close bonnet to renew n/s/f blade other way is to stop them half way either way ??
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2015, 23:44   #30
minng

Back on topic.
Volvo regional engineer agrees that when operating the door handles at an oblique angle from the rear there is a real issue with pinching forefingers. However, he says Volvo will not take any action to modify.
But, on the rear parcel shelf sharp leading edge issue it might be a different story. In addition to agreeing, he asked me for a link to the U-shaped edging I had fitted, so he can pass it up the line. We'll see.

Anyway, all is well with the D2 Powershift. I love it. It doesn't have the grunt of the Jag I had but in every other respect it is the equal, if not better.