Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 (64 plate) Engine cracked

Views : 20049

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 21st, 2017, 13:33   #1
jfrank

Default V40 (64 plate) Engine cracked

Hi,

I've had a V40 D2 for 3 years now (bought new) and for the most part have been pleased with it.

I had a couple of issues which unfortunately the dealership hasn't been really helpful with (The front disc brakes sheared in half after 2 years and the passenger door has never closed properly - it stands off the bodywork by about 5mm) but I have soldiered on with it and paid for the brakes myself; ignored the door as I will be handing it back after it had run its finance length.

Now to the big problem. The car started reporting low coolant about a month or 2 ago (after the last service as it happens) which I investigated (coolant level looked normal once cooled). The alert came and went quite a lot so I rang the dealership about it - they said Volvo sensors are quite 'twitchy' and 'cautious' and can sometimes go off even when cornering the car. Basically I was told to ignore it unless it stays on (it didn't).

Last week my engine reported a high temperature alert. It said to lower my speed, which I did. I pulled over just to be safe (as I was only a few miles from home), I let it cool and carried on - the warning was gone and I got home fine. The next day I rang the dealer. They said bring it in for a look. I said I wasn't comfortable driving it with a temp issue. They suggested I call out Volvo Assist, so I did.

An engineer turned up and plugged the car into the computer. He said that he could see an anomaly in the pressure of the engine and that to him it looked like the engine was critically damaged but that it might possibly be an air block or something simple. He took it to the dealership.

They dealership phoned me and told me the worst news possible when it comes to car ownership, the engine was broken - it had a crack in the engine block (I'm not very savvy with cars parts, so sorry if I explain this incorrectly). The car would need a completely new engine.

Although I had reported the fault to the dealership and VolvoUK (when the dealership was closed) a good month ago and well within my warranty, this was now 6 days after the warranty had expired (3 years old). The dealership contacted VolvoUK for us and they've offered to meet us half way and pay 50% of the cost (total of about £6000 - so £3000).

I feel a little let down by the Dealership and Volvo as I immediately reported the fault as described by the car inside the warranty and now they seem to not want to honour it.

I've tried to talk to VolvoUK directly but it's proving difficult.

I've been told to use the Sales of Good act which states a 6 year "fit for purpose" and to go through small claims court. I really don't want to do this but I REALLY can't afford the repair.

This isn't just a moan here are my questions I could use help with:

1. Is this unusual or have these little diesel engines got previous with this sort of problem?

2. Has anyone been through a similar scenario and can offer any advice?

I'm not particularly sure how to proceed now - the dealership have almost washed their hands of it and said to deal with VolvoUK directly. This is quite difficult to do. I'm not confident about going to SCC but I will have to if there is no resolution as I just cant pay for the car to be fixed.

Right now the car is sat in the dealership and if I don't agree to pay - they will not be giving me a car so I can get to work and will probably want me to arrange it to be picked up?

Thanks in advance for any help - sorry if this is in the wrong place or isn't part of what the forum is about.

regards,

Jason.
jfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 14:01   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrank View Post
Hi,

I've had a V40 D2 for 3 years now (bought new) and for the most part have been pleased with it.

I had a couple of issues which unfortunately the dealership hasn't been really helpful with (The front disc brakes sheared in half after 2 years and the passenger door has never closed properly - it stands off the bodywork by about 5mm) but I have soldiered on with it and paid for the brakes myself; ignored the door as I will be handing it back after it had run its finance length.

Now to the big problem. The car started reporting low coolant about a month or 2 ago (after the last service as it happens) which I investigated (coolant level looked normal once cooled). The alert came and went quite a lot so I rang the dealership about it - they said Volvo sensors are quite 'twitchy' and 'cautious' and can sometimes go off even when cornering the car. Basically I was told to ignore it unless it stays on (it didn't).

Last week my engine reported a high temperature alert. It said to lower my speed, which I did. I pulled over just to be safe (as I was only a few miles from home), I let it cool and carried on - the warning was gone and I got home fine. The next day I rang the dealer. They said bring it in for a look. I said I wasn't comfortable driving it with a temp issue. They suggested I call out Volvo Assist, so I did.

An engineer turned up and plugged the car into the computer. He said that he could see an anomaly in the pressure of the engine and that to him it looked like the engine was critically damaged but that it might possibly be an air block or something simple. He took it to the dealership.

They dealership phoned me and told me the worst news possible when it comes to car ownership, the engine was broken - it had a crack in the engine block (I'm not very savvy with cars parts, so sorry if I explain this incorrectly). The car would need a completely new engine.

Although I had reported the fault to the dealership and VolvoUK (when the dealership was closed) a good month ago and well within my warranty, this was now 6 days after the warranty had expired (3 years old). The dealership contacted VolvoUK for us and they've offered to meet us half way and pay 50% of the cost (total of about £6000 - so £3000).

I feel a little let down by the Dealership and Volvo as I immediately reported the fault as described by the car inside the warranty and now they seem to not want to honour it.

I've tried to talk to VolvoUK directly but it's proving difficult.

I've been told to use the Sales of Good act which states a 6 year "fit for purpose" and to go through small claims court. I really don't want to do this but I REALLY can't afford the repair.

This isn't just a moan here are my questions I could use help with:

1. Is this unusual or have these little diesel engines got previous with this sort of problem?

2. Has anyone been through a similar scenario and can offer any advice?

I'm not particularly sure how to proceed now - the dealership have almost washed their hands of it and said to deal with VolvoUK directly. This is quite difficult to do. I'm not confident about going to SCC but I will have to if there is no resolution as I just cant pay for the car to be fixed.

Right now the car is sat in the dealership and if I don't agree to pay - they will not be giving me a car so I can get to work and will probably want me to arrange it to be picked up?

Thanks in advance for any help - sorry if this is in the wrong place or isn't part of what the forum is about.

regards,

Jason.
Is it the 1600 cc or the 2000 cc diesel engine ? Have they taken the engine apart ?
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 14:40   #3
jfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Is it the 1600 cc or the 2000 cc diesel engine ? Have they taken the engine apart ?
It's the 1600cc - I think they must've done at least some dismantling to find a crack in the block but not sure how much. They said it needs a completely new engine which they can get shipped within a week (if I were to pay the 3K).
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 19:41   #4
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Another quality PSA engine right there.......

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 20:59   #5
ripstandem

Default SPA coolant loss

Used to have a 2012 V 50 with 1.6d engine, had water pump gasket/seal replaced first service due to coolant loss, told at time it was a known issue. May be worth exploring if issue remains with later engines, could be cause of coolant loss with your car
ripstandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 23:43   #6
jfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
Another quality PSA engine right there.......
Seems to be the case - once I looked up the engine number from my last service I got a lot of information regarding broken PSA type.
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 23:49   #7
jfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripstandem View Post
Used to have a 2012 V 50 with 1.6d engine, had water pump gasket/seal replaced first service due to coolant loss, told at time it was a known issue. May be worth exploring if issue remains with later engines, could be cause of coolant loss with your car
This late 2014 models engine has been classified as critically damaged - all the coolant has pumped out into the fill area and the engine block is cracked. I had no warnings other than Coolant level too low, then a temp alert near the end of its demise.

A warning to anyone with this engine - do not take no for an answer if you start to get coolant/temp warnings - it could be your engine failing completely.
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 10:19   #8
techwatcher
Master Member

Jason,

Call the dealer and ask for the name and email address of the dealer principal.

Write an email to the dealer principal detailing the events that have occurred, including dates of conversations with the dealer and Volvo Assist. Stick to the facts and ask the dealer principal to honour the warranty given the circumstances. Bear in mind that technically the car is out of warranty and that neither the dealer or Volvo UK is obliged to provide any contribution to the cost of repair. However given that the symptoms were reported to the dealer and Volvo Assist prior to the warranty expiring IMHO you do have a case.

If this approach doesn't work then as you have identified you should use the small claims court.
techwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to techwatcher For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 12:28   #9
jfrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwatcher View Post
Jason,

Call the dealer and ask for the name and email address of the dealer principal.

Write an email to the dealer principal detailing the events that have occurred, including dates of conversations with the dealer and Volvo Assist. Stick to the facts and ask the dealer principal to honour the warranty given the circumstances. Bear in mind that technically the car is out of warranty and that neither the dealer or Volvo UK is obliged to provide any contribution to the cost of repair. However given that the symptoms were reported to the dealer and Volvo Assist prior to the warranty expiring IMHO you do have a case.

If this approach doesn't work then as you have identified you should use the small claims court.
Techwatcher,

Thanks for the advice. I ended up sending a PM via Twitter (of all things) to Volvo Sweden and got a response from UK Customer Relations later that day. After pretty much copying and pasting the OP, they have today (right this minute actually) agreed, as a gesture of goodwill, to replace the engine free of charge. This is a massive weight off my mind (and finances ).

They've also told me to take in the vented disc that sheared in half as it's unusual. They might even make my door look closed like it's supposed to if I'm lucky.

Thanks to everyone above for any advice you gave, really appreciated.

And remember: Low coolant alerts could mean something sinister, don't let the Dealership shrug it off if you have a warranty.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jfrank For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 15:12   #10
techwatcher
Master Member

Jason,

That's good news; I'm glad Volvo has decided to do the right thing here.

Hope it's not too long before your V40 is back on the road.

Make sure the dealer provides you with a decent courtesy car whilst yours is being repaired!
techwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to techwatcher For This Useful Post: