Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Auto - Anti Skid Service Required - Diagnostic help.

Views : 7274

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2023, 12:56   #21
JackofAll she says

I had anti skid service come up, change sensor as a scan showed sensor signal missing, however this didn’t solve the issue.
So whipped off the driveshaft as I was changing them and it became apparent, the ABS ring had broke hence the missing signal. All new shafts and ABS ring and issue is no more.!!

So moral of the story, check the most likely component to fail first, usually a mechanical part before suspecting an electrical/electronic component. Mechanical is usually easier to see.
Old May 4th, 2023, 19:44   #22
Simmy
Premier Member

the electrical part of the system /sensors usually fail when the rust on the reluctor rings wears through the sensor .
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2023, 13:08   #23
vickyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackofAll she says View Post
I had anti skid service come up, change sensor as a scan showed sensor signal missing, however this didn’t solve the issue.
So whipped off the driveshaft as I was changing them and it became apparent, the ABS ring had broke hence the missing signal. All new shafts and ABS ring and issue is no more.!!

So moral of the story, check the most likely component to fail first, usually a mechanical part before suspecting an electrical/electronic component. Mechanical is usually easier to see.
My S80 2.0 auto has just developed the anti skid warning message. Oddly my V70 has this error occasionally too but I can turn off in VIDA and it's gone for 6 months at a time. Gone through 3 or 4 MOTs with it.

The S80 msg however won't go. Brake pressure sensor 2 appears in VIDA from time to time but even if I clear that the anti skid warning remains. Have done this a couple of times now. Don't currently have any BCM codes which is also odd! It was in garage for unrelated issue and they were quite dismissive and said it would need steering wheel sensors, had no stability etc. which I disagree. Braking all works as it should, I suspect it's the sensors not getting the signal or a comms issue. Wondering about ABS Reluctor Ring now. Do you think this is worthwhile?
vickyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2023, 13:36   #24
Simmy
Premier Member

use the advanced tab to narrow down the cause in your fault code.
Old Aug 19th, 2023, 13:51   #25
vickyg

Advanced shows pressure sensor 2 too high. It comes and goes. My issue is it will be an MOT fail it it appears when I don't want it to! Running a live test shows a huge difference is pressure with no. 2 being much higher. These sensors seem to be over 300 quid is the problem if one has genuinely failed
Old Aug 21st, 2023, 07:17   #26
MisterGee19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickyg View Post
Advanced shows pressure sensor 2 too high. It comes and goes. My issue is it will be an MOT fail it it appears when I don't want it to! Running a live test shows a huge difference is pressure with no. 2 being much higher. These sensors seem to be over 300 quid is the problem if one has genuinely failed
Second hand pressure sensors are about £30 for the pair on eBay.

I also don’t think that it is actually an MOT failure as it can be cleared and doesn't bring on the brake fault light.
MisterGee19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterGee19 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2023, 16:17   #27
vickyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGee19 View Post
Second hand pressure sensors are about £30 for the pair on eBay.

I also don’t think that it is actually an MOT failure as it can be cleared and doesn't bring on the brake fault light.
Garage (usually good) are saying "anti skid service required" will fail as it suggests stability not working - even though it is and it's just the sensor playing up. Like I say they're usually pretty good but they don't know Volvo and their Mac/Delphi seems to give different readings to my VIDA. I did ask them not to do any computer diag but they did anyway and charged me for a waste of time.
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 19:44   #28
pupley

Default The longestly delayed reply....

Oh my dayz this has probably got to be the most over due update you'll ever see. Or maybe not...but here goes. Hopefully gives a chuckle if not a raised eyebrow. Grab a coffee.

So in my original post starting this thread I indicated that I had just bought an 06 plate v70 mk2 Petrol auto (my second v70) as a dog wagon, back in 2017 iirc and it had a couple of warnings/issues at time of purchase, including a steering angle sensor fault and what turned out to be a very poor wheel alignment (bad front toe out). I dealt with the wheel alignment after needlessly doing front control arm bushes suspecting they were the issue to the car wandering on the road. Have since driven with a Service reminder light, and steering/antiskid warning all this time.

Aside from that, as testament to how sturdy and on and on and on these cars are, since I have had it I have done bare minimum, only one oil change, forced due to leaky oil filter o-ring, one set of plugs and one air filter (before covid hit i think) and only replaced tyres with part worns, and patched the holy disintegrating rear exhaust box which is now a gun gum casting, for MOT in terms of vehicle care for the MOT's as needed/failed. Ive put over 90k on this car.

As an ex motor tech I have been committing the motherload of motoring maintenance sins (or lack thereof) and this car has not let me down once. I drive like a sedated sloth so am easy on the car and play the mpg game. I get the dash avg mpg reading up to 34mpg in winter (colder air) and get about 28-29 in warmer months. I have a feeling that's not great but hey, its an auto. If there is anything "known" maintenance wise to improve this do let me know .

Turning over a new leaf now Over the past two-ish weeks I have started to give the car some long overdue love in time for its next (now overdue) MOT. First up was the deep deep deep interior clean. seats and mats out, carpets lifted and rear sound deadening out to hoover out all the dog hair and gravel and I can assure there was a lot of it...everywhere like a second carpet !! Especially under rear seats. Now all gone and my arms got a good workout scrubbing with the hoover. Next a good wash, removed the roof racks to clear the mobile moss garden and evict the spiders. refurbed the very brown headlight lenses/covers (sand/polish/laquer) now crystal white like new.

Put seats back in, and dogdammit I have an airbag light on. Bought a dongle, downloaded an app (about half a dozen of them actually), ended up buying a VIDA and lappy from a member on here (thx Steven!). Airbag light sorted. Had already done the trip meter trick to reset the service reminder prior to that arriving.

Now to tackle ABS warnings. approx 3 years back I also started getting a secondary warning come up above 50mph. With the VIDA/lappy I also got a spare SAS. Fitted that and it was still giving an error, but differently. Took it off, dismantled, cleaned, refitted, still no good. Turns out it was 180 degrees out according to VIDA, disassembled and reassembled as it should be and got that fixed. Decided to tackle the original SAS from the car, did the same strip clean and rebuild, but error still same. Took apart again, saw a post on Russian forum about trim pot on the PCB. Set that right and rebuilt and refitted and working nicely after doing calibration with the VIDA. Took a couple of attempts to get trim pot correct. got pretty good at taking those apart and putting back together. That SAS is now back on the car and been reliable too. I'll be putting the other reco one on fleabay if anyones interested.

Turns out the car was a bit peeved at getting this show of lurv, as a coil pack decided to fail and give me a misfire, out of the blue while going nowhere,. Just a random instant misfire on one startup with VIDA connected. Showed vyl 5 misfire. Swapped coils on cyls and the miss followed the coil. Ordered new coil from fleabay together with a front right ABS sensor (as per VIDA faults). Parts arrived, fitted coil, misfire fixed. Fitted sensor, ABS light still coming on at +50mph. Should have checked the toothed reluctor ring first as it had a rather large and obvious crack. Just ordered two of those from the fleabay, will arrive tomorrow. Once they are fitted it looks like ill have an error free V70 for the first time since purchase in 2017. Its still sinking in! Ive got a new car feel! The wash definitely improved driving performance.

Once the MOT is done, it will be tyres asap. Then plan the exhaust (centre and rear silencers) and Cambelt with obligatory tensioner and waterpump while i'm there in a couple months time. Hopefully not a bad job to do. Have looked at the cambelt and its looking fine and is tight too.

So thats my update. And if anyone in the Northampton/shire area needs a VIDA readout or faults cleared, id be happy to help to pay forward some on the good VIDA/lappy deal I received. Just send a DM.

Happy Volvo's!
pupley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 23:13   #29
ajm
Master Member

Always good to get an update, even if it's years afterwards it can be useful. When you talk about an "SAS" and fiddling with trim pots, what component do you mean... the yaw sensor, under the driver's seat?
ajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2024, 12:41   #30
Simmy
Premier Member

there is a general opinion that you should leave the water pump alone if it shows no leaks or play cheap replacements circoli ect are known to fail prematurely if you want to replace it go for a genuine volvo one to avoid any future problems .
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post: