Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just had 7 FK eggcrate grilles delivered to my place

Views : 11512

Replies : 154

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2014, 21:56   #61
vtrsean
Seán Harkin

alex mark me down for one if you dont find the owner, also have to check the code for the cem so ill get back to you with that
vtrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 22:33   #62
druid
V40 Owner

Here's ours;
It's in PONTYPRIDD Which once boasted the longest railway station in the world.

He (brunel) "May be" the engineer that built the coffin for Dr Price to be cremated in.

Dr Price and Brunel got chummy While working in the Browne Lenox plant.
Dr Price Is the guy who got cremation brought to the fore by burning his own son on the common. He was himself cremated in a big public funeral He was a fascinating guy, Druid, Dr, Herbalist, Naturist and he built round houses to stop women gossiping on corners! Man is a Legend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William...28physician%29

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to druid For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 22:43   #63
kieran40
I've Been Banned

All those guys are facinating Druid they were extremely eccentric when you read about them but abosoloute genius's we often forget in modern Britain we were the workshop and brains of the world back then in those times, someone had an idea wods of cash were thrown at it regardless and the rest is history. But when you see the different groups of people's that settled Britain you can see why we turned out so mighty, Scandinavians,celts,angles and Saxons,Jutes, Romans, it's all in the bag and mix.

Last edited by kieran40; Nov 18th, 2014 at 22:49.
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 22:57   #64
ma70
Curmudgeon with a turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran40 View Post
All those guys are facinating Druid they were extremely eccentric when you read about them but abosoloute genius's we often forget in modern Britain we were the workshop and brains of the world back then in those times, someone had an idea wods of cash were thrown at it regardless and the rest is history. But when you see the different groups of people's that settled Britain you can see why we turned out so mighty, Scandinavians,celts,angles and Saxons,Jutes, Romans, it's all in the bag and mix.
Get on facebook & try telling that to Britain First! bunch of neo-numbskull ******s them lot! Cant talk sense to them either, first hint of them losing an argument to a logical outsider & you get slapped with a ban! [/rant]
ma70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ma70 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 23:01   #65
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma70 View Post
Get on facebook & try telling that to Britain First! bunch of neo-numbskull ******s them lot! Cant talk sense to them either, first hint of them losing an argument to a logical outsider & you get slapped with a ban! [/rant]
Never heard of them ma70 lol and Facebook isint for me lol, I was on it and the hassle it brought from family etc not for me they can Skype me now lol or kik message me lol.
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 23:02   #66
T4Tayo
Half man, half potato

Some interesting history here. Brunel was one clever dude and did so much in his relatively short life. Going over Clifton Suspension bridge is one of my earliest memories... awesome bit of engineering!

Gatos, any grilles left? I'll give one a good home if so cheers
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 23:24   #67
DXMachina
I ate all your bees

For me, Brunels ships were his most interesting endeavours, as well as his most troublesome (the directors of the Great Western Railway, having reviewed his cost reports, might disagree with me on that)

The first ship he built - SS Great Western - was the largest ship in the world at that time, the first ship ever to carry no functional sail AND on its first trip knocked a full 3 DAYS off the record for an Atlantic crossing.
She was described as skimming the waves like a demented tern by one early passenger

His second ship - SS Great Britain - was the first iron-hulled major vessel, the first vessel to have a multi-celled metal hull to guarantee floatation, AND the first large ship of any kind to rely on propeller drive alone.

She was abandoned off the Falklands in 1886 at the end of her life. She was still floating well into the 1930s, scuttled & sunk in 1937, refloated in 1970 and returned to Bristol where she remains

Brunel didnt just look to go a few years ahead in technology. Most of his best work was jumps of 50 years or so of normal development in one go.
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 23:40   #68
kieran40
I've Been Banned

If people had listened to the great Brunel back then dx I wonder if we would have so much trouble with the railway at dawlish today, as you know it was badly damaged last year and again it's just cracked, the great man wanted his scenic railway 8foot higher than it currently is. He never got his way and now we are paying the price. he had many arguements over it aswell I have his book aswell as dr prices book. I bet if he was here he would stand on the rail platform with his top hat and say I told you so

The very bit he argued over and said would cause trouble has all these years later

Last edited by kieran40; Nov 18th, 2014 at 23:46.
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 23:42   #69
ma70
Curmudgeon with a turbo

I notice you omitted the Great Eastern from that list Sad that it went the way it did, the "launch" wasn't even his fault really just effectively "subbies" messing up concrete bases for the slipways (that and "cost cutting" meaning it sat on 2 small slipways either end, as opposed to one proper sized one!)

Combine that with rotten timing regards the Aussies finding coal & you get one broken man with a sadly ruined reputation...

Last edited by ma70; Nov 18th, 2014 at 23:44.
ma70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ma70 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 23:43   #70
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Which one of his ships is it the eastern that is in the mud in Liverpool or parts of the ship anyway.