Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Do you have a 2007 D5 185bhp with more than 150k miles?

Views : 7447

Replies : 70

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 21st, 2017, 23:41   #41
osullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidvxr View Post
would you go to all that work without doing shells , crank grind , oil pump , head skim , belts , tensioners , engine i posted link to has 67k 1200+vat 250 fitting , if he had that for sale whaen mine was off the road knowing what i know now i`d have snapped it up. ps not trying to be funny
1200 + vat in UK with cartage and conversion close to 2000 euros. Belts tensioners etc all new. No need to grind driveshaft if it is not worn. No issue with head so why skim it. As I understand things Volvo say head should not be skimmed Getting it fitted here for less than 500 would be impossible, and probably end up a notch, So choice get car driving well for lots of work and 1000 euros or the same for 2000 euros. No real decision for me.

Might be a horror when I open it up but it sounds great and has loads of power once Dpf is clear and a 5 liter can of mobile in the boot....

But I agree if I was in UK I'd have that engine fitted.....

PS. I now hate this car and just want rid of it but I will not sell it to a stranger with this known detect. I could give it away but I cannot afford to do that. So I need to fix it and then sell it....

Last edited by osullivant; May 21st, 2017 at 23:51.
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 06:09   #42
jamie1131

It's a tough one. In good running order the car is worth about £4k but I probably need to sink £2k into it :-/

I'm just about to drop it off with the independent garage who are going to quote for a reconditioned engine. He's going to have a look over it himself before he quotes so we'll see what he comes up with...
jamie1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 20:37   #43
rapidvxr

Quote:
Originally Posted by osullivant View Post
1200 + vat in UK with cartage and conversion close to 2000 euros. Belts tensioners etc all new. No need to grind driveshaft if it is not worn. No issue with head so why skim it. As I understand things Volvo say head should not be skimmed Getting it fitted here for less than 500 would be impossible, and probably end up a notch, So choice get car driving well for lots of work and 1000 euros or the same for 2000 euros. No real decision for me.

Might be a horror when I open it up but it sounds great and has loads of power once Dpf is clear and a 5 liter can of mobile in the boot....

But I agree if I was in UK I'd have that engine fitted.....

PS. I now hate this car and just want rid of it but I will not sell it to a stranger with this known detect. I could give it away but I cannot afford to do that. So I need to fix it and then sell it....
i was told not to risk refitting a head that had not been skimmed , you can skim them but have to take same off valves or thicker head gasket , mine got both , the amount of carbon build up on top of the piston and top of the bores was unreal , bores were like new still had the machining marks , i wanted to do a complete rebuild but it was not worth the money , took me 3 days to put back together ,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0036(1).jpg (259.2 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by rapidvxr; May 22nd, 2017 at 20:46.
rapidvxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 22:15   #44
osullivant

@ I think doctors differ and patients die as regards skimming heads. engine guys think heads should be skimmed every day and twice on Sunday. did you have the oil burning. we're your rings ok. what mileage.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 22:25   #45
rapidvxr

Quote:
@ I think doctors differ and patients die as regards skimming heads. engine guys think heads should be skimmed every day and twice on Sunday. did you have the oil burning. we're your rings ok. what mileage.
leak down test ok , compression test ok , it used oil intermitantly then stopped after head rebuild , had lots of gunge in inlets and inlet manifold , 1 swirl flap missing , think i`m gonna go down dpf and egr delete route
rapidvxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 22:28   #46
jamie1131

Have you seen my post in your thread in the diesel section? Work on my car today is definitely pointing at piston rings.
jamie1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 22:59   #47
osullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1131 View Post
Have you seen my post in your thread in the diesel section? Work on my car today is definitely pointing at piston rings.
Yes saw that post. Did you see post 35 in this thread. 1200 plus vat for engine with 67000mls...

Mine is half striped I'll get a look into it tomorrow evening.... Only good thing is I have done so much work on this engine that I know how it is put together.....I think.....
Old May 22nd, 2017, 23:08   #48
osullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidvxr View Post
leak down test ok , compression test ok , it used oil intermitantly then stopped after head rebuild , had lots of gunge in inlets and inlet manifold , 1 swirl flap missing , think i`m gonna go down dpf and egr delete route
Sounds like your troubles were all head related... Mine is almost definitely rings or bores as the compression improved dramatically with some oil dropped into cylinders... I will dream tonight of perfect cylinders with gummed up or worn rings and perhaps it will come to pass.....
Old May 24th, 2017, 19:41   #49
osullivant

Just got the head off. Bores still seem to have original honing marks. Some valve's and parts of piston heads caked in carbon with white parts that look like hardened chewing gum....

One cylinder was more coke covered than the others as was the injector....

Squirt of barbeque cleaner and a bit of elbow grease cleaned it off.

Some movement when the piston is jiggled which suggests rings, worn or stuck...

Tomorrow will be a dirty day... Need to drop oil pan and push out pistons.....
Old May 24th, 2017, 21:47   #50
osullivant

Quote:
Just got the head off. Bores still seem to have original honing marks. Some valve's and parts of piston heads caked in carbon with white parts that look like hardened chewing gum....

One cylinder was more coke covered than the others as was the injector....

Squirt of barbeque cleaner and a bit of elbow grease cleaned it off.

Some movement when the piston is jiggled which suggests rings, worn or stuck...

Tomorrow will be a dirty day... Need to drop oil pan and push out pistons.....
Finally managed to get photos of head off
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170524_182105.jpg (219.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 20170524_182132.jpg (144.9 KB, 63 views)