Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

VIDA/DICE won't read vehicle CEM/CDM error

Views : 3469

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 22nd, 2020, 13:34   #11
Nuddmann

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrybritcher View Post
yea i use icarsoft day to day only for the advanced stuff dig out the laptop.

icarsoft does 99% of what u need - except nobody wants to buy mine off me!!!
Wish you'd mentioned that before I just bought mine!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Nuddmann For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2020, 16:44   #12
gatos
Premier Member

Try uninstalling the drivers and plugging in the DICE again

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2020, 17:30   #13
Nuddmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
Try uninstalling the drivers and plugging in the DICE again
Done that mate. About 10 times. It's probably me but I'm so fed up with it that it's gone back in the drawer!

Waiting to see if the iCarsoft thingy does the trick.

Thanks anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nuddmann For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2020, 18:01   #14
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuddmann View Post
Done that mate. About 10 times. It's probably me but I'm so fed up with it that it's gone back in the drawer!

Waiting to see if the iCarsoft thingy does the trick.

Thanks anyway.
If no luck, just come over mine

Nullius in Verba
Old May 26th, 2020, 16:54   #15
Nuddmann

Quote:
If no luck, just come over mine
Thanks mate. Luckily, the icarsoft arrived today and sorted it.

Strangely, it wouldn’t automatically read my car I had to do it manually by entering model and year. Also had to disconnect battery and SRS connector under passenger seat for it to be able to clear the light. It read it and said it was cleared but might stayed on, same as last time.

Anyway, sorted.

If car fails it’s MOT I’ll have a cheap diagnostic tool for sale 😁
Old May 26th, 2020, 18:14   #16
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks mate. Luckily, the icarsoft arrived today and sorted it.

Strangely, it wouldn’t automatically read my car I had to do it manually by entering model and year. Also had to disconnect battery and SRS connector under passenger seat for it to be able to clear the light. It read it and said it was cleared but might stayed on, same as last time.

Anyway, sorted.

If car fails it’s MOT I’ll have a cheap diagnostic tool for sale 😁
Yes, unplugging and plugging in the connector that is causing the problem, usually helps. Sorry, but it wasn't very clear if you managed to get the SRS cleared for good or not. Is it gone now?

Nullius in Verba
Old May 27th, 2020, 16:20   #17
Nuddmann

Quote:
Yes, unplugging and plugging in the connector that is causing the problem, usually helps. Sorry, but it wasn't very clear if you managed to get the SRS cleared for good or not. Is it gone now?
Yes, it's gone now. The icarsoft read the error and attempted to reset it, but the light wouldn't go out until I disconnected battery and sensor and went through the process again.

I'm tempted to try my DICE again now I've disconnected and reconnected everything and see if it will talk to the car.
Old May 28th, 2020, 11:29   #18
Nuddmann

You'll never believe this.......

Bloody DICE/VIDA worked yesterday. AAAAAHHHHHH

What I did, which I'll remember for future reference and which may help others, is put my VIN and chassis number into the relevant boxes on the VEHICLE PROFILE TAB. This brings up my version of the S40.

By selecting this, it displays the vehicle lower down the screen, it made the DIAGNOSTIC TAB at the top of the screen live. Clicked on this and the DICE did its thing.

It takes a while to identify and communicate with all of the vehicle's modules but it did the trick. I have a consistent Glow plug relay DTC on mine and it picked this up and subsequently cleared it.

I feel a bit of an idiot, having spent £99 on another tool, that said, it's a lot simpler to use than DICE and you don't need your laptop in the car, so it's in the boot ready to be used whenever needed.

Another thing I noticed, which initially made me panic, is that when the DICE communicates with the ABS module if brings up the ABS error light and the red light with an exclamation mark in it but shows no DTC codes. These lights clear once the ignition is turned off and back on again.

I'm sure most of you know all about this but if anyone's got a DICE and struggling to get it to work, this might help. It doesn't seem to be a particularly simple to use system.

One other thing, my vehicle doesn't seem to talk to any diagnostic device if an AUTO READ function is used. This happened when an auto electrician came out to me last year and he had to manually enter the vehicle details. It only seems to want to cooperate when it's manually selected on any device.

Anyway, ramble over, some of this might help.
Old May 28th, 2020, 18:42   #19
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
You'll never believe this.......

Bloody DICE/VIDA worked yesterday. AAAAAHHHHHH

What I did, which I'll remember for future reference and which may help others, is put my VIN and chassis number into the relevant boxes on the VEHICLE PROFILE TAB. This brings up my version of the S40.

By selecting this, it displays the vehicle lower down the screen, it made the DIAGNOSTIC TAB at the top of the screen live. Clicked on this and the DICE did its thing.

It takes a while to identify and communicate with all of the vehicle's modules but it did the trick. I have a consistent Glow plug relay DTC on mine and it picked this up and subsequently cleared it.

I feel a bit of an idiot, having spent £99 on another tool, that said, it's a lot simpler to use than DICE and you don't need your laptop in the car, so it's in the boot ready to be used whenever needed.

Another thing I noticed, which initially made me panic, is that when the DICE communicates with the ABS module if brings up the ABS error light and the red light with an exclamation mark in it but shows no DTC codes. These lights clear once the ignition is turned off and back on again.

I'm sure most of you know all about this but if anyone's got a DICE and struggling to get it to work, this might help. It doesn't seem to be a particularly simple to use system.

One other thing, my vehicle doesn't seem to talk to any diagnostic device if an AUTO READ function is used. This happened when an auto electrician came out to me last year and he had to manually enter the vehicle details. It only seems to want to cooperate when it's manually selected on any device.

Anyway, ramble over, some of this might help.
I mentioned that above...

Quote:
When you say "read vehicle" button, do you mean at the very beggining? Or later on, under the diagnostics tab?

If at the beggining, then DICE cannot read the VIN of the car. You will have to manually enter it in VIDA.
With regards to the glow plug relay fault code, 99% one or more of your glow plugs are faulty. The relay hardly ever fails

Nullius in Verba
Old May 28th, 2020, 21:10   #20
Nuddmann

Yeah, I did see that Alex and did put my VIN number into VIDA and hit the READ VEHICLE button but still got a communication error.

What I hadn't noticed (or it only happened after I disconnected thee battery) was that the DIAGNOSTIC tab had become "live". It was only after clicking on this DIAGNOSTIC tab that I got it to all work together and read the DTCs.

Anyway, thanks for the help, I'm probably just too dim to work it out first time!!