Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

sluggish cold start 2.0D (2004)

Views : 452

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 18th, 2020, 06:47   #1
klenghost

Default sluggish cold start 2.0D (2004)

My 2004 V50 2.0D has a rough could starting issue.

when starting on cold engine the engine shakes and its idle is not really stable

i've read that this could be a sticking TB flap, which you see more often i believe on the Y intake. but mine just has the straight intake (as been described in this topic:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=218133

i have a youtube video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0OtJYyREFc

what has been done beside regular service.
last year :
4 glow plugs changed (4 new ones)
4 injectors changed for new ones .
new alternator (150Amp model because the old one stopped working)

i tried both with and without EGR blanking plate no difference at all in starting issue.

car drives as should be, no lack of power or anything in that order.
klenghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2020, 09:46   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

the problem is not prevalent on the twin Y throttle , only the singe one , file the edge off the plastic throttle flap untill it opens and closes with no sticking , or so that you can just see a chink of daylight around the edge when holding it up to the light..
Old May 18th, 2020, 19:11   #3
Kev0607
Premier Member

There seems to be a fair bit of movement. Have you checked the engine mounts?
Old May 19th, 2020, 20:00   #4
klenghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
There seems to be a fair bit of movement. Have you checked the engine mounts?
no have not checked them. was thinking about replacing them. will ask my mechanic to take a look at the state of them (some one offerd me a sweet deal on a complete set though)
i was thinking about the mounts last time it started and felt wobly at the traffic lights.
Old May 19th, 2020, 20:02   #5
klenghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
the problem is not prevalent on the twin Y throttle , only the singe one , file the edge off the plastic throttle flap untill it opens and closes with no sticking , or so that you can just see a chink of daylight around the edge when holding it up to the light..
i'll look into doing that in a few days (need to make some time free for this or just ask my mech. to do this) as we're puzzled about my cold start last year replaced all the glow plug and also got 4 new injectors on it.
Old May 19th, 2020, 20:41   #6
klenghost

could not resist the urge to take a moment and check the TB flap. doesn't seem to stick.
when pressed fully closed manually (when disconnected) and released it instantly gets back to fully open/its neutral position.
held it to the light. could see daylight pass through all around it. but will give this info to mechanic (as he has about 50 years of experience his gues was "something wrong with the glow relais". but when re-glowing a couple of times the issue still persists. even when activating glow plug with vida for like 20-30 seconds and then starting it still feels shaky and rough.
alternator is swapped about 2 years ago (old one started dying and finnaly gave in when my parrents needed to have my car for a day (me ofcourse a-shamed going there with a new alternator hoping to swap it in an hour or so, aside the road...but there is just not that much room around the engine anymore)
Old May 23rd, 2020, 19:24   #7
D6Stevie

I had v50 2.0D slow to start most of the time. And in cold even worse. New starter cured it. Old one was just throwing engine over to slow to fire
up quickly. Once started it took a wee bit to sit idling properly which I blamed on to much fuel in the cylinders.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 19:28   #8
klenghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by D6Stevie View Post
I had v50 2.0D slow to start most of the time. And in cold even worse. New starter cured it. Old one was just throwing engine over to slow to fire
up quickly. Once started it took a wee bit to sit idling properly which I blamed on to much fuel in the cylinders.

I would not call it a slow start. As it fires up pretty fast. Its the idling thats not really great.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 19:33   #9
D6Stevie

Get a nice impreza... that's my plan when I kill the c30 another impreza 😂🙈
Old May 23rd, 2020, 19:39   #10
klenghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by D6Stevie View Post
Get a nice impreza... that's my plan when I kill the c30 another impreza 😂🙈

Whahaha,
No i'm goinf back to Mazda.. drive that for about 9years.. never any issues like this . So the next one Will be a CX-5 i Think Just not dure about the fuel/ engine type, depends on what is best in budget and affordable .
Would live to drive the CX-9 but Just wat to expensive in road taxes in the Netherlands ( pay per 100KG of Cats.. except for to who van afford an e-v they are not het paying road taxes... Unfair cause this wat the wealthy people even keep more money in theyre account