Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

v90

Views : 1346

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 21st, 2017, 22:17   #1
owner 1948
owner 1948

Default v90

i was stopped to day in my v70 and asked if i thought the v90 was a good buy as the guy wanted to change from a jag to the v90 but had been told they have a problem with reliability not knowing a great deal about the v90 i told him i would ask on the forum
it seems strange they havent been around long enough to get a reliability tag
any info or thoughts would be a help and i will pass it on
owner 1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 23:39   #2
Rooster
Speed freak

Mechanically they appear ok,

Its the software programming thats the issue, they keep fixing one issue and causing another although there alot better than the first spa xc90's
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 09:03   #3
owner 1948
owner 1948

Smile v90

would it put you off buying now and wait a bit or is it long term problem
thanks john
owner 1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 10:58   #4
cassell
Member since 1988

I have had my V90 for 6 months now, it is 12 months old and was an ex-demonstrator when I bought it, and it has never had any faults or reliability issues so far, software was updated on the first service last month. By comparison a family member bought a new SPA XC90 in 2016 and it has been nothing but trouble in terms of software and electrical problems, the first one's raising their heads within the first 8 weeks of ownership!

This is embarrassing as it was on my recommendation that he went for a Volvo to replace an unreliable Audi Q5, my suggestion was based on my ownership of 9 Volvo's over a 30 year period, all of them being utterly reliable. I also think that the ability of Volvo main dealer workshops to identify and rectify problems does vary from dealer to dealer.

There can be rogue cars in any production run, and I appreciate I've only had my V90 for a relatively short time and many of the initial SPA bugs may have been ironed out, but I would not hesitate in replacing it with another.

Hope this helps?

Paul

Last edited by cassell; Dec 22nd, 2017 at 11:02.
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 09:54   #5
Mrjon
Master Member

I switch back and forth between jaguar and volvo every few years.
Presently back with volvo and a V90 cross country, and very happy with it indeed.
I’d say the new volvo offerings have much better quality interiors than the current Jaguars which have gone a pit cheap and plastic.
Though the volvo dealer I use is fantastic,on the whole I’d say the dealer experience with jaguar is a little more upmarket, however with the influx of cheaper jaguar models I’d expect that may change a little.
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 11:38   #6
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjon View Post
Presently back with volvo and a V90 cross country, and very happy with it indeed.
I’d say the new volvo offerings have much better quality interiors than the current Jaguars which have gone a pit cheap and plastic.
Though the volvo dealer I use is fantastic,on the whole I’d say the dealer experience with jaguar is a little more upmarket, however with the influx of cheaper jaguar models I’d expect that may change a little.
Out of interest your location is Peak District and you say the dealer is fantastic - just wondered who you use? I had very poor experiences with Bristol Street Sheffield but now use Riverside Doncaster who I think are fantastic.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 12:08   #7
Mrjon
Master Member

I’ve used what was autoworld at Chesterfield for the last 2 volvo cars.
I suppose fantastic is a relative term,but they’ve always been good. I’ve been in the dealers you mentioned both at the volvo side and with the wife’s Nissan next door, I know what you mean.
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 13:24   #8
Bernard F

Quote:
Interested in your comments re Jaguar and Volvo. I also have had years of switching between the two changing from XJ’s to Volvo’s then XF’s and recently two XC60. Quality wise Jaguar have gone completely downhill for me, I doubt I will ever return. Lovely to drive and there it ends. My latest XC60 is streets ahead in quality/reliability and that’s what I expect.
For the two dealers, at Jaguar I was always greeted from the receptionist onwards by name and made to feel their most important customer, drive in unannounced at any time and the car was immediately taken into the workshop to check my problem. It was always very business like. In the customer lounge you made your own coffee.
Volvo however, in Sales myself and or wife are greeted by our Christian names, coffee and biscuits put into our hands, made to feel like one of the family and told to always call in when passing. The service department is always helpful and will look at the car if necessary before making an appointment if necessary.
Compare this with My local Ford service where you always feel you are a nuisance and I know I am extremely lucky to now have the Volvo dealer I use.
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 19:33   #9
volvo for ever
Premier Member

in my opinion volvo best car oy there few sw issues

Last edited by volvo for ever; Dec 25th, 2017 at 19:35.
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 21:11   #10
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
I’ve used what was autoworld at Chesterfield for the last 2 volvo cars.
I suppose fantastic is a relative term,but they’ve always been good. I’ve been in the dealers you mentioned both at the volvo side and with the wife’s Nissan next door, I know what you mean.
Thanks. Never tried Autoworld, just been put off with it being a multi-car franchise. Kind of assumed it is some sort of jumbo dealer and therefore will be poor - but perhaps this is just my prejudice. This is despite it being my closest dealer to home.

Doncaster does kind of work location wise as I live nearish to J30 and work in Scunthorpe so drop car in the morning, then pick up on the way home in the evening....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote