Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dealership shut down replacement 2 week wait

Views : 3007

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 29th, 2020, 22:36   #11
James77

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw View Post
My last car was a BMW and whilst I am not young, was the pinnacle of my car ownership....an M5. However, 600hp isn’t really usable in real life so I am going back to something more appropriate, and that I might actually feel I can leave somewhere. Had an SQ5 before that but 21” wheels and an SUV gave neither a great ride or great handling....

Son in law and daughter both have GLCs, his a 43, and that’s a bit brash and shouty. Quite like Volvos but I hate touchscreens.

So as you say a quandary where to go next...

ETA you say you have something not Volvo and don’t rate BMW or Audi - be interested what you do drive. And Farnborough Audi, that would put me off buying one, bloody useless when I tried to buy one for the ex..
An M5 is a special car. My point was based more around the other end where discounts are available even at launch. Although, even M5 depreciates like a stone a sales person at Barons said to me once they'll occasionally have one in the showroom it'll sit around for a while then they'll discount 20k and shift it.

I now have a Porsche Cayenne and my wife drives the Volvo. I have pushed the boat out a lot perhaps too much but the residuals are strong. This might be my pinnacle in fact it probably is as I'm happy to go fully electric in a few years when it makes sense.

Useful heads up on the local Audi dealer.
Old Aug 30th, 2020, 12:25   #12
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post
An M5 is a special car. My point was based more around the other end where discounts are available even at launch. Although, even M5 depreciates like a stone a sales person at Barons said to me once they'll occasionally have one in the showroom it'll sit around for a while then they'll discount 20k and shift it.

I now have a Porsche Cayenne and my wife drives the Volvo. I have pushed the boat out a lot perhaps too much but the residuals are strong. This might be my pinnacle in fact it probably is as I'm happy to go fully electric in a few years when it makes sense.

Useful heads up on the local Audi dealer.
Yes, discounts are a must have - 30% plus on mine. It was immense but completely pointless in the real world for the driving I do now.

Cayenne is nice - ordered a Macan GTS before the Audi but decided that strong residuals still meant the £ note loss was bigger than the Audi - which had more space and more kit and lower profile for the days when I went to an office by car.

Farnborough were good at test drives but no good at deals - wondered why we wouldn’t buy from them when we could buy elsewhere for thousands less...

Agreed that BMW list prices are pointless, but having had a few over the years they just seem to fit what suits me - and the still do a 3 series with a 6 cylinder petrol when the other firms seem to have binned them off. All credit to them for that...
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 21:58   #13
GJB
Premier Member

Well may have found the possible next supplier of my new car might be a Subaru Levorg am very impressed with the spec.
MY10 XC90 D5 R design Red MY04 XC90 D5 SE RED
95 940 2 ltr D Silver Auto /84 740 2ltr D Red
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 10:31   #14
bornmiddleaged
:-)

Quote:
cannot see me for 2 weeks which I think is unacceptable
Who would have thought that a garage would be really rather busy after having been closed for 5 or so months.

It's your money, of course. I just hope, for your sake, that the Subaru dealer can match your level of expectations.
bornmiddleaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 19:46   #15
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJB View Post
Well may have found the possible next supplier of my new car might be a Subaru Levorg am very impressed with the spec.
I needed to get 4 wheel alignment done on my XC90 and the only place I could find was a local sports and performance car dealer, which is also a Subaru main agent. I had about a 2 week wait to get it booked in........

(btw they were brilliant, couldn't recommend them highly enough. But it was a 2 week wait which I think is entirely reasonable, but obviously some think that is too long....).
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 23:48   #16
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
You must be missing the Volvo still Quacker, as you are still checking the forums.....
Yes, I liked the XC90 very much. With the current national situation and a strict two week lockdown again, starting tomorrow, letting it go was timely and the right thing to do. We’ve easily coped with one car less and have no intension of replacing the Volvo until March next year at the earliest. I’m already window shopping of course and the front runner at the moment is the Tesla model Y. Will have to wait until the German factory gets going before its launched here I suppose. No hurry and many a slip twixt cup and lip could happen in the meantime.
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 16:15   #17
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
I’m already window shopping of course and the front runner at the moment is the Tesla model Y. Will have to wait until the German factory gets going before its launched here I suppose.
I've been following Tesla for a while now. The Berlin factory is scheduled to begin production in the summer of 2021, starting with the Model Y. There's a rumour that Model Y production in China will allow cars to be exported to Europe before Berlin production starts but would it be worth Tesla doing that if Berlin opens in 6 or 8 months time anyway? It'll be interesting to see if Tesla can avoid the early production quality issues that have plagued Fremont, CA.

Apparently, the Model 3s coming out of China are of a higher build quality than those from Fremont.
Old Oct 23rd, 2020, 16:26   #18
GJB
Premier Member

Thumbs down

Problem with the Tesla is if you want to tow anything it's a non starter.
MY10 XC90 D5 R design Red MY04 XC90 D5 SE RED
95 940 2 ltr D Silver Auto /84 740 2ltr D Red
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 09:31   #19
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJB View Post
Problem with the Tesla is if you want to tow anything it's a non starter.
The Model Y can tow 1.6 tonnes with Tesla's dealer-fitted tow bar.
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 14:05   #20
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
The Model Y can tow 1.6 tonnes with Tesla's dealer-fitted tow bar.
What’s the range like with a caravan on the back?
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote