Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear quarter glass trim

Views : 517

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 18th, 2020, 18:26   #1
Bob 1967
Master Member

Default Rear quarter glass trim

A year ago or so I spotted a small paint blister at the bottom of the rear quarter glass.
Upon poking it went straight through.

It required further inspection and as a result it required trim and glass removal.
The hockey shaped top trim ( lot of hockey shapes on Volvos ,something to do with ice hockey I suppose ? ) came off with the plastic trim tools and using the same set (got on that website "e something")started at the rear bottom and it came out easy enough.
The horrors were revealed ,I took photos ,but only managed to keep a few.

After cutting away the rot...
The other side was similar ,
One of the pieces I made ,can't remember off hand which side it was from.

I tacked all pieces in place with a mig welder ,

It didn't look great but I worked at it ,despite the cramped area.
The inside of the front pillar , under the clip on trim

The driver side also was pretty corroded at the window pillar.
I cut it out and using a small vise and a hammer I made the replacement piece for the pillar ,it had 5 bends .
I tacked it in place

and would fine tune and finish later.

I had to reinstall the rubbers /windows ,but couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get the pesky chrome back in place.

So to my question ("Get on with it!!")
How do you do it is there some spreader tool available to pry the groove open ?
Has anyone got any tips ?

Bob.

Last edited by Bob 1967; Sep 18th, 2020 at 18:36. Reason: pics
Bob 1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob 1967 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2020, 19:09   #2
Othen
Premier Member

Hi Bob,
Good work, that looks fine. Thank you for the words and pictures- they might well be useful to others.
I’m sorry, I don’t know about the-fitting the trim, but someone more knowledgeable than myself will.
Alan
PS. That complex piece for the door pillar was really impressive.

Last edited by Othen; Sep 18th, 2020 at 19:22.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2020, 21:11   #3
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

The body clips can be pried open a "LITTLE" with a slim blade- give them a coating of waxoyl or similar to aid the trim home:~

The trim has a thin section lip on the underside that fits into the above clip- bit of a knack I suppose- place the trim over the top of the body clip & press down- it should click into place and be gripped tight. sometimes the plastic seal (trim to body) can become distorted making it difficult for the item to seat into the clip properly, keep the trim quite tight to the body to line up the trim & body clip.

If you have a loose/distorted seal then gently heating will help with reshaping and the same can be glued back with superglue to regain a flat profile.
I completed a bit of a write up covering the same for the 240 estate- I would think yours is similar?
Neat job on the bodywork.
Bob.
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=299985

Last edited by Bob Meadows; Sep 18th, 2020 at 21:16.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2020, 23:13   #4
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
The body clips can be pried open a "LITTLE" with a slim blade- give them a coating of waxoyl or similar to aid the trim home:~

The trim has a thin section lip on the underside that fits into the above clip- bit of a knack I suppose- place the trim over the top of the body clip & press down- it should click into place and be gripped tight. sometimes the plastic seal (trim to body) can become distorted making it difficult for the item to seat into the clip properly, keep the trim quite tight to the body to line up the trim & body clip.

If you have a loose/distorted seal then gently heating will help with reshaping and the same can be glued back with superglue to regain a flat profile.
I completed a bit of a write up covering the same for the 240 estate- I would think yours is similar?
Neat job on the bodywork.
Bob.
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=299985
Many thanks Bob, I thought someone would know the answer - I hope this is useful to the other Bob (from Dublin).

best wishes,

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2020, 20:59   #5
Bob 1967
Master Member

These are the trim pieces I was talking about, they go into the rear quarter window rubber.
This picture was taken before repairs.
Bob.

Bob 1967 is offline   Reply With Quote