Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 relay prob

Views : 1050

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2020, 14:35   #1
morwenna240

Default 240 relay prob

Hi. I have an 1989 240, 2litre estate. No start. Fuel pump works, relay seems to, that is, if u hold it an turn key you can feel it click, an click again when turn off. If, as says in Haynes, i jump fuse 4 and 6, engine starts straight up. I bought a new fuel pump relay, no change. Can't see any wiring faults, an as car runs with fuse jump, main wires to pump, ignition switch, etc, must be ok. Any pointers, people?
morwenna240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2020, 17:16   #2
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

There are two kinds of fuel pump relay - white and green. I'm not sure what the difference is, nor whether they are even interchangeable in fitting. You do presumably have the correct one?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2020, 17:32   #3
Bugjam1999
Master Member

The fuel pump relays are not interchangeable - green for a k-jet car, white for a 2.4lh car.

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 19:24   #4
morwenna240

Well, it had green one when i got it. In glove box was another green one, date stamped july '87. The one fitted was stamped 2007, so i assumed green correct. certainly it ran fine with it, until recently. Car had stood for ten yrs, so i renewed underneath completely, brakes, suspension, exhaust, wheels.
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 09:13   #5
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Jumping fuses 4 and 6 bypasses the rely and lets the pumps run continuously.
If the engine then starts and runs properly then it surely can only be the relay faulty, or perhaps the socket it plugs into, or the connections at the fuse board?
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 22:02   #6
morwenna240

Ummm, that's what i thought, but couldn't find anything. But. . . i noticed that fuse 6 had got hot, to the extent of melting the foreward end of fuse enough to sink in the actual metal strip. Does that imply resistance? What could cause that?
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 22:21   #7
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morwenna240 View Post
Ummm, that's what i thought, but couldn't find anything. But. . . i noticed that fuse 6 had got hot, to the extent of melting the foreward end of fuse enough to sink in the actual metal strip. Does that imply resistance? What could cause that?

"Received Wisdom" in the forum is that heating and melting of individual fuses is caused or exacerbated mainly by most fuses available now for that fuse box do not meet the original specification.

1. The end caps tend to be aluminum or similar. That reacts with the copper/brass terminal in the fuse box. Resistance results and heat follows

2. The fuse body tends to be plastic. That often melts when hot. The body should be ceramic.

True ceramic and cuprous fuses can be found. If you search the forum you might find the information.

Thorough cleaning of the fuse box has been tried and in at least one instance, the problem still re-occurred.

There is a body of opinion in the forum to by-pass those two fuses using inline flat bladed fuses. The name for those fuses escapes my memory.

I hope this helps.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 00:12   #8
morwenna240

Izatso? Interesting. Merci.
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 03:27   #9
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

P.S. ... I believe the name for flat bladed fuses is ...

Blade Fuses ...

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 09:27   #10
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

You could confirm this diagnosis first simply by bypassing each fuse and holder separately, rather than together.

I think what often happens is that having once run hot, the plastic base holding the terminal strips is then irretrievably weakened and does not hold the terminals properly. Also the metal terminals themselves have possibly been softened by over-heating.
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post: