Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Right Hand Engine Mounting B200F

Views : 1976

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 29th, 2020, 20:02   #1
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Default Right Hand Engine Mounting B200F

My right hand engine mounting is broken. I replaced one on a 245 in the 1980s. It seemed easy at that time. But it seems in the forum some members have experienced a bit of bovver doing the job.

I hope to just put a good jack in place to take the engine weight with the load spread by wood. And proceed with usual caution. Otherwise it's 17mm spanner and/or socket. If engine begins to seem unstable, stop undoing the nuts and think it out again.

Any advice please?

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 20:16   #2
CosmicBike

Assuming you mean the one under the oil filter, I've just done mine. Jack under the sump (on the sump plug), my jack has a rubber pad so no wood for me. Easy enough to remove the engine mount and it's associated mount when its broken, getting the new one in is fiddly but perfectly doable.

Biggest problem for me on the whole job (changing both left and right mounts) was the fact that the engine sat a good 3/4" higher, and getting all the bolts lined up needed the help of 2 jacks!
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 20:30   #3
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Thank you Cosmic

Penny has just dropped with me. The mount is broken. So undoing the old nuts does not really have any potential to cause a problem. I hope.

The issue will indeed as you say be lifting the engine carefully to install the new mount.

I am replacing both mounts. One at a time.

Thank you again. Encouragement is very gratefully received. I'm increasingly cautious as my age slightly increases.

Old Sep 30th, 2020, 06:58   #4
Othen
Premier Member

I think it will be just the same as a B21a motor, so this post may help:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...postcount=1347

The left side is much easier, so normally I'd suggest doing that one first so there is always a fixed point, but if the right side is already broken through then that might not apply. In that case I'd suggest checking the left one first to make sure it is still complete and will hold whilst working on the driver's side.

Good fortune.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 07:01   #5
Othen
Premier Member

... and this is the passenger's side:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...postcount=1301
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 08:19   #6
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I recall that when I replaced both mounts some years ago I discovered that it was easier to jack the engine and remove the entire alloy mount bracket at the engine block and at the sub-frame, replace the rubber mount itself, and then re-bolt to the engine.
The engine can then be gently lowered into place, levering the projecting bolts into their holes in the cross member.
There is very little flexibility at the actual rubber mount, but the increased leverage and the better visibility at the sub-frame greatly aids aligning the holes.

If the RH mount is broken then the LH mount becomes vital to retaining control of the heavy slanted engine. Just pray that mount is still sound - you really don't want to have the engine balanced in the air on a jack while you replace it. !
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 12:55   #7
CosmicBike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
I recall that when I replaced both mounts some years ago I discovered that it was easier to jack the engine and remove the entire alloy mount bracket at the engine block and at the sub-frame, replace the rubber mount itself, and then re-bolt to the engine.
The engine can then be gently lowered into place, levering the projecting bolts into their holes in the cross member.
There is very little flexibility at the actual rubber mount, but the increased leverage and the better visibility at the sub-frame greatly aids aligning the holes.
Did both of mine that way, near impossible to get just the mounts on their own out, or indeed new ones in any other way.
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 12:57   #8
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Thank you all.

The thing I don't understand is, it seems the engine needs quite a lift before the old mount can be removed. The mounting is loose but nowhere near enough to hope to get it out or get a new one in.

Is the sump plug the best place to put the jack?

I'm reluctant to go dismantling the brackets. I don't do very much to the car now. Would removing the lower brcket be sufficient? Surely I never had this sort of bovver bck on the 245 ...

I am thinking, pay a garage. But NOT YET.

Old Sep 30th, 2020, 13:11   #9
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Right. Having read all the above again I'm thinking garage. I can get both mounts changed for a reasonable fee ...

I'm going to have another go now.

Old Sep 30th, 2020, 14:01   #10
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I'm going to the garage now. I leave the car with them. And then I come home for some good pasta. Good Joy.

Basically. I suspect the mounting brackets are redesigned since I did the job before? Maybe. Or maybe they have always been different for power steering cars? My 245 was not power steering. There must be a reason that a job which was truly easy has become, not so easy.

That's all for now.