Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General > x40 S1 Articles

Notices

x40 S1 Articles Article posts pertaining to x40 S1 Articles series Volvos

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guide: changing the cabin air filter

Views : 12916

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2011, 11:13   #1
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Default Guide: changing the cabin air filter

(Original guide with high res pics - please note on my PC today it seems some of the photos aren't loading from my blog, so I'll upload them all to Photobucket at some point... in the meantime I've put a - above and below each photo)

It's a laughably easy job to change the cabin air filter, although there is one thing to watch out for.

Filters (in my case part number 30612666) can be bought from eBay for under £15, it saves a little bit of labour cost at service time. Took me about 5 minutes to change. Mine is a UK right hand drive V40 phase 2 (02 plate) with air con. The original part number is now discontinued. Different part number for non-air con models.

Lo and behold, I've solved my windscreen demist problem! Now lots and lots of air blows up the windscreen, which wasn't happening before, to the extent that I figured the routing flap or linkage must be broken. It clearly isn't, so that was a cheap relief. Judging by the state of the one I took out, I now understand why there wasn't any throughput..... no idea how long it's been there but I suspect it might even be the original filter.

I also wonder if my passenger footwell cowl has been replaced by the previous owner, as it's a different colour (black instead of beige), there are two extra screw holes as if it's come from another car, and as you can see it's very tatty. Maybe former owner's passengers just had long legs, or massive feet, or sandpaper boots. Comments welcomed...

So, here goes.

You're looking for two black screws along the top edge to unscrew to release the cowl. There may be a third screw or clip to release (see later) as my cowl seems to be a bit too loose, but this should be easy to find.

--

--

--

Once you've undone the two screws, simply tug the cowl in the direction of the arrow.

--

It'll come away really easily.

--

Probably best to put the screws back in the cowl so you don't lose them....!

--

Dead centre, just below the bottom edge of the glove box, you'll see this label, and a black plastic tab, which is the near end of the cover for the air filter.

--

Simply push the tab, and pull the front of the cover piece down and then away. The cover rests on a ledge at the back to ensure a good fit.

--

--

The cover is foam-backed with a couple of apertures. Give it a quick brush out if it's as filthy as mine!

--

This is the bottom end of the filter. Note the arrow pointing at the burr, this helped me to remember which way around to put the new filter in.

--

Simply tug down the black tabs to pull out the old filter.

--

Note that there are a series of plastic teeth down the left side of the filter. (Presumably not reversed for LH drive models.) This allows the filter to bend safely to the left, which you will need to do to remove & reinstall it, but it will NOT bend the other way, it will SNAP! So careful....

--

And this is my old filter removed, first photo is the left (input) side. As you can see it's clogged with black dust, leaf debris and grime from goodness knows how many years of being in there...

--

...but it's done pretty well at its job, as this photo is the right (output) side which is surprisingly clean considering the other side.

--

So this is the replacement part, 30612666 which is for V40/S40 with air conditioning. There's apparently a different part for non-AC models. This one cost me about £15 delivered from eBay. The original filter part number has been superseded by this one. Make sure yours is a new, boxed Volvo part, although I didn't find any aftermarket filters when I was looking. I did see a few without boxes, which could be a concern. I got a sticker with mine, so that I could record the date of installation and mileage.

--

Simply shove the new filter back up into the slot, the Volvo logo should be facing you with the teeth up the left side. Make sure you only bend the filter to the left as shown.

--

This is what happens if you put it in or bend it the wrong way. So don't...

--

With the new filter fully inserted, simply replace the cover by resting the far end on the ledge, and lifting the near end until the plastic tab clicks into place.

Shove the cowl back into place, making sure you fit the right side above the air vents. Screw the two screws into the metal threads, as shown below.

--

--

What I don't know is whether there's another fitting missing on my cowl. The cowl is very loose, and there's a suspicious looking place where a retaining clip might go, but as you can see, that would then leave a suspicious gap around the cowl.

--
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote