Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

North Coast 500

Views : 1033

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 11th, 2018, 20:28   #1
Groundes-Peace
Master Member

Default North Coast 500

Has anyone done the tour around the North Coast 500 in Scotland?
How may days was it comfortable to see the sights and drive the miles?
What was accommodating like if you want to go for B&Bs?
Groundes-Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 20:45   #2
huron
Master Member

My intention to do it next year in my kit car, Marlin Roadster, so will wait and see any replies.
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 21:12   #3
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

I did a loose version of it a few weeks ago and here is a run down that I posted on the Moto GuzziRiders Forum.

We bumped into a guy at one of the overnight stops who was doing it in a Mustang convertible. Nice way to do it.

Here you go.

Just back from a 4 day trip to the Scottish Highlands.

Monday 10th September, 3 of us left Durham and headed up to Dumfries eventually heading North and getting the Ferry across to the Isle of Arran. We then rode across it and got the next ferry which took us back onto the mainland North of Campbeltown.

By this time it was raining heavily and we had an 80 mile ride to our Hotel in Oban. I am definitely buying a Rukka suit as Gary and John were both bone dry in theirs whilst I was drenched

Tuesday we headed North taking in Applecross and eventually bedding down at the Ledgowan Hotel in Achnasheen.

Wednesday we headed for Ullapool and this was definitely the most gruellimg day's ride as we made our way to Bettyhill on the North Coast.

Absolutely stunning day which was topped off by watching Orca's surfacing in one of the bays.

Thursday we headed for Lairg , Tain and Inverness riding down the edge of Lochness before ending our day's ride in Callander.

Friday we were heading home but before doing so, we took in the David Stirling memorial Statue near Dunblane, then the Falkirk Wheel followed by the Kelpies.

A fast run down the A68 in lovely sunshine soon had us home.

1150 miles and the big Honda once again acquitted itself very well.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Oct 11th, 2018 at 21:19.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 22:02   #4
Peter86
Pete

It looks an awesome drive. On the bucket list.

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 22:26   #5
ITSv40
VOC Member

My son and his girlfriend have recently completed a loose version in September. They took their time and stopped off sightseeing and walking etc and took 9 days.

Day 1 Birmingham to Moffat

Day 2 Moffat to Inverness via Glen Coe, Fort William and the Great Glen

Day 3 Inverness to Applecross

Day 4 Applecross to Tongue via Ullapool

Day 5 Tongue to John O Groats

Day 6 JOG to Inverness

Day 7 Inverness to Edinburgh

Day 8 Edinburgh

Day 9 Edinburgh to Brum.

They stayed in small hotels/Premier Inns and B&B's found through Airbnb. the most interesting drive being up the west coast from Applecross to Tongue and the most demanding - due to twisty roads hugging the coast - from Tongue to JOG. That part was also busy traffic wise.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 14:48   #6
Groundes-Peace
Master Member

Many thanks for all feedback.
Keep it coming please...
Groundes-Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 23:28   #7
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundes-Peace View Post
Many thanks for all feedback.
Keep it coming please...
I had a saga typed out for you last night then the computer shut down! I will try again.I did the NC500 with my Amazon two years ago driving up to Inverness from Fife. I went up the east coast first to Wick and John o' Groats where I got a few good pictures. I think it not normally permissible to take pictures of your car at the signpost but there had been a photoshoot of Maserati's and after they were finished and before the chain went up I got a few.
Along the top to Thurso, passed Dounreay to Bettyhill where I stayed at the Bettyhill Hotel-pre booked. Enjoyable supper and a few drams with the guvnor. When booking out the morning I met 4 Swedish couples from Gothenburg who wanted to know about my Amazon. Good chat and inspection before they made off in their mini-bus to Skye.
Owner of hotel asked who my breakdown company was as I was about to drive through a rather desolate part where no mobile phone signal. Told him I didn't have one! Along to Durness where 24 hours fuelling available. Coffee and chat with the tanker driver. All very relaxed up there.
Although the moors were indeed desolate you would drive round a corner to the most magnificent sights and had to stop to take it in.
Down to Aultbea and spent the night at Aultbea Hotel. Another family hotel. Fine welcome, fine food and a few drams. Lots of history here this being where the Arctic convoys met up before sailing to Russia.
Round by Inverewe, Poolewe, Ullapool then headed back to Inverness and home. I took three days but four would have been better as I missed a few bits I would like to have seen.
Amazon behaved beautifully and I didn't need a breakdown service!
Some people prefer to do the west coast first and I will do it that way next time if I get the chance.
It is becoming very popular and I was advised to make sure I had my accommodation booked. Some very narrow roads and lots of sheep and goats.
Supercar people are giving it a bad name, timing themselves to go round the route much to the annoyance of the locals.
I did a total of about 690 miles. Most enjoyable and weather was good and dry throughout. That was in April.
Let us know how you get on.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 23:57   #8
brizzo

last year we hired a camper van

day 1 done Perth to Aviemore

day 2 round to fort Augustus

day3/4 Skye

day 5 Fort William

day 6 to Oban

finished off with an overnight in St Fillans

cracking trip mixture of wild and camp site camping
brizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 22:15   #9
biggbn
I've Been Banned

My dad and I did it, from mauchline, Ayrshire and back, in two days...lots of driving, stayed over at a wee hotel right on north coast, back down next day. I think it was about 800 miles in two days!!!
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 22:37   #10
tails

Default west coast

doing the coast route all around west/north/east/west 2 weeks time.
done scotland a few times now honda crv,triumph rocket 3,brilliant.
done northan ireland a couple of months back in the volvo,loved it.
tails is offline   Reply With Quote