Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Police release Volvo 940 bad driving footage on BBC News

Views : 1821

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 15th, 2018, 10:17   #21
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post

A friend had a phone call that his dad had been rushed to hospital 80 miles away, once he hit the M4 he admits to as fast as the car would go which was over 100 mph. He got to the hospital in time to say goodbye to his dad, fully accepts his actions were illegal and if caught would of accepted any and all penalties. All I say to those whom would judge, what would you do in similar circumstance?

Paul.

As an aside, whenever I'm on the M4, which is quite a bit, camera and patrol areas apart, almost every single car on the M4 travels at least 80mph, almost the entire motorway of cars drive at 80mph, likewise many motorways, and given that the average speed in the far overtaking lane is for most of the time early eighties up to mid nineties, this isn't very unusual behaviour by your friend. Its the tailgating, braking distances and driving skills, or lack of, that cause the accidents at these speeds. If you friend drove safely at 100mph in the overtaking lane then he would stand out

Pistonhead witnesses back me up on average motorway speeds on various motorways: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...&t=526834&i=20

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 10:29   #22
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
... Its the tailgating, braking distances and driving skills, or lack of, that cause the accidents at these speeds. ...
I would add moving back into the left hand lane after over taking as well Laney. I am constantly astounded by the number of people who seem to think that it is only for lorries.
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to id5 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 11:12   #23
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by id5 View Post
I would add moving back into the left hand lane after over taking as well Laney. I am constantly astounded by the number of people who seem to think that it is only for lorries.
Isn't it?!

It is rare that I use motorways nowadays, but when I was doing so regularly, particularly when it was busy, I would quite happily sit at 55 in lane one with the lorries. This made for a much less stressful drive than the constant acceleration / deceleration of traffic in the outer lanes with little or no time penalty.

Regards, John.
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 12:04   #24
Laney760
VOC Member

I really feel that we should be able to sit in the inside lane at 55mph for the environment and our pockets but sadly I don't think it does anyone any favours nowadays on busy motorways. Nearly every lorry in the inside lane drives at 60mph and needs to keep that speed up to meet employers / industry deadlines and if we slow them up by doing 55mph then they move out into the middle lane overtaking thereby raising accident risks

My Uncle drives down the M4 to it's very end in Wales from Essex and sits at 55mph and my Dad, a professional driver all his life, is highly critical of uncle's habit!

Old Oct 15th, 2018, 13:02   #25
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Apologies, 'Laney76'; I should more correctly have said 'at the speed of the lorries'! If the flow was 60, I would of course go with it and not sit resolutely on 55!

John.
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 14:06   #26
Spike56
Master Member

The speed perception is almost universal. I drive through a 30mph stretch, increasing to 40 and then to 50 just before the motorway, and 99% drive at 40, 50 and 60 until zooming off down the M25.

I believe it came from our parents! I was always reassured by my father that the police weren't accurately measuring speed and that "the law" allowed 10% + 3 to allow for inaccuracies in speedo technology.

Well not in the age of lasers and satellites!

Dash Cam footage can now be sent directly to the police via NextBase's own software (maybe others too). But as has been stated, we all make mistakes and an error of judgement that doesn't hurt either vehicle or person is just an error, nothing more. Dangerous driving, however, is a deliberate decision to screw up everyone else's day for no good reason, and the perpetrators deserve whatever gets thrown at them!

Bring back police on the streets and on the roads. Inconvenient? Perhaps. Safer? Certainly.
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spike56 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 15:41   #27
Grimble
Grimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike56 View Post

Bring back police on the streets and on the roads. Inconvenient? Perhaps. Safer? Certainly.
Bring back the man with the red flag in front and the roads will be even safer!

Inconsistencies in human behaviour cannot be legislated against despite the wishful thinking of authorities. Do you really think that taking away a criminals licence to drive will really stop him?Lose my job or carry on driving? No contest.

To mix metaphors, that train has left the station.

And yes, the Stasi would be proud of the nation of self-righteous do-gooders that we seem to be becoming.
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 17:12   #28
Laney760
VOC Member

Don't you think that if you dob somebody in for clearly dangerous or reckless driving that you could be saving somebody's life down the line? What if you had dash cam footage of dangerous driving and didn't do anything and you opened up the newspaper next week and that driver had maimed or killed somebody?

Old Oct 15th, 2018, 17:59   #29
green van man
Premier Member

Laney, dangerous or reckless driving is a prescribed offence, as a civilian I do not have the training to judge wether it was dangerous or reckless driving in law, only that it was something hopefully I would not do.

I drive and teach off road driving, including steep descents. Watching James May cars of the people last night he took a range rover down a steep slope. Wife's reaction, OMG that's dangerous, you don't do that do you. Yes of course I do, I use experiance, training and qualifications to assess and control the risk. Perception is everything.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 23:35   #30
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
I really feel that we should be able to sit in the inside lane at 55mph for the environment and our pockets but sadly I don't think it does anyone any favours nowadays on busy motorways. Nearly every lorry in the inside lane drives at 60mph and needs to keep that speed up to meet employers / industry deadlines and if we slow them up by doing 55mph then they move out into the middle lane overtaking thereby raising accident risks

My Uncle drives down the M4 to it's very end in Wales from Essex and sits at 55mph and my Dad, a professional driver all his life, is highly critical of uncle's habit!
Trucks are limited to 56mph.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote