Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dangerous steering, please help, Whits end!

Views : 1217

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2023, 12:09   #1
JamesXC9zero

Exclamation Dangerous steering, please help, Whits end!

Hi all,

I have a 2005 XC90. The steering has become dangerous at speed, but mainly when braking lightly or accelerating hard, especially on a corner. The brakes also judder all the time as if in and all the time, even when at a crawl.

This has been happening for a while. This is what I have done so far:

Replaced the following:

Steering pump
Steering rack
Both sides front lower wishbones, suspension strut, all ball joints, wheel hubs, drive shafts, tie rod ends, drop links, brake pads, brake discs, basically everything that connects the wheel to the car
All sub frame bushes and bolts
New tyres
Tracking

But it is still knocking somewhere when going over bumps and such and the steering issue when braking mostly. It pulls to both sides as you brake, like slaloming, and then when it settles down at slower speeds or after you stop and release the brakes, the car then lurches to one side as if a wheel gets released.

Before I start anything else, I have a replacement abs unit to try, can anyone suggest anything?
I have been thinking something between the gearbox and drive shafts but?
The engine and auto gearbox work great, up and down through the gears no problem.

Please help
Cheers
James
JamesXC9zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2023, 12:17   #2
JamesXC9zero

Default Further

I should add it has 200k miles, had just gone through the MOT before I bought it cheap about 6 months ago. No error codes, brakes work fine and stop the car well, just not in a straight line unless you really hold it and steer back and forth. No abs light coming on and no messages on the screen.
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 09:11   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

With all due respect, you will likely have had more success taking the car to someone who understands it and can diagnose the issue rather than throwing money and parts at it on a poke and hope diagnosis method.

It may well have cost more up front, but it might have been one part that needs replacing. I would still do that, an experienced Volvo Independent will likely diagnose it within an hour. You seem to have symptoms with both the brakes and steering??
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 12:51   #4
SiliconS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesXC9zero View Post
It pulls to both sides as you brake, like slaloming
This sounds like the tracking is massively out.
SiliconS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SiliconS For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 13:00   #5
Lancee
Premier Member

Full and thorough alignment/tracking done ? Sticking brake caliper/s. Anti roll bar bush/es?

One positive to take away, when you do resolve the issue (sorry to mention it but hopefully it's not due to accident damage), you will have replaced a lot of the wear and tear/service items already and will largely be good for many miles to come

As suggested, try a Volvo independent who should be familiar with your model of car.

Last edited by Lancee; Aug 2nd, 2023 at 13:03.
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lancee For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 20:06   #6
JamesXC9zero

Yeah, due to the mileage (it is quite high!) all these things needed doing to a reater or lesser degree. But with each part fitted I had hoped for more positive results.

I had thought sticky callipers, but whe it is off the ground, and spinning the wheels by hand, they are free and when brakes are applied the wheel stops, let off and they are free again, so not sure? I am going to replace the brake fluid as I am sure it hasnt been done in a long while.

Also, I did use the correct green power steering fluid when I changed the steering rack (2nd hand). Maybe I will change it back again to check. I did find the UJ joint on the old steering rack was totally seized, but the new one is good.

Honestly I suspect the brakes, but the doing it under heavy acceleration has thrown me a bit.

I have had the tracking done, but I have changed the off side hub since then so will need to be done again, but I would like to change the steering rack first.

And for some one to tell me if this could be a front diff issue, if there is one?

Thank you for the replies so far.

Cheers
James
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 22:20   #7
Simmy
Premier Member

take a look at the top spring mounts the centre rubber bush part breaks causing steering mis alignment and knocking its a common failure point this also affects xc70s and v70s very hard to spot whilst stationary due to the weight of the vehicle it only moves and knock when moving.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2023, 10:44   #8
wynnj
Master Member

When I bought my XC90 2 years ago it had had new front disks and pads fitted by Halfords not long before. Good I thought and brakes worked well until braking from 80 mph with full load on downhill gradient (on french motorways) when I would get lots of brake judder/vibration; later on all would be back to normal. I concluded that the disks must be distorting with the heat from heavy braking. Fitted Volvo brakes and pads and the problem has now gone.
wynnj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2023, 11:41   #9
Fika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
One positive to take away, when you do resolve the issue (sorry to mention it but hopefully it's not due to accident damage), you will have replaced a lot of the wear and tear/service items already and will largely be good for many miles to come
One of the first things that came to mind, with that much work done on the car with that mileage you may as well marry the car

I am curious to see how long you can get this car to last as a high mile hero.

Also thanks for the hints here as there are a lot of suggestions that are proving useful with a non-Volvo car that is starting to have the issue listed above.
Fika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2023, 12:59   #10
JamesXC9zero

Haha, yeah, I`m aiming for 500k!

OK, got the wheels re-tracked, that seems to have stopped the slaloming mostly.

It seems to be a brake issue. But I am still confused as on one drive out, it seems thie left brake is working but the right isnt and then on the next drive its the other way around???

Any ideas?