Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

waterglen

Views : 2062

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 29th, 2008, 16:55   #1
waterglen

Angry waterglen

I have a November 07 XC70 D5, After about 1500 towing miles a banging noise comes from the Volvo removable towbar when going over a bumpy road or turning corners and is gradually getting worse, Volvo say this is quite normal with this new type of towbar, there is movement between the fixed bracket and the removable towball, this play can be up to 8mm according to Volvo, can you imagine the noise if it was this loose?
Has anyone any experiance of the new model towbar?
waterglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 03:13   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Is that Volvo UK or a Volvo dealer who is talking through the seat of their trousers? There is no way that a towbar can be left like this after only 1500 miles of towing. They should immediately replace the towbar or towball depending on where the play is occuring.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 08:48   #3
dodgyken
Master Member

The towbar should be utterly rigid - no pay at all. If there is play then it hasn't either been fitted correctly - or the ball has been mounted into the fitting correctly.

I have towed a lot with mine and had no banging at all from it. Double check you have installed it correctly - if you have, take a trip to another dealer - or even a caravan dealership.
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 09:16   #4
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

I have a detactable ball on my S70 (sounds quite rude, anyway) and it is ridgid. Not bought from Volvo but is OE spec (brink). As said above, someone is filling your head with mad dogs brown stuff. No way would i even tow a trailer with a moving towbar, let alone a caravan. Many's a manufacture i've worked for and never seen a detachable towbar with movement. Either get it in writting from them and make them replace your bar or show you another with the same "movement"

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 22:08   #5
waterglen

Angry Loose removable volvo towbar

thanks for your reply,the volvo dealer who fitted the towbar contacted volvo uk who stated "this play is normal and up to 8mm of play is ok", I contacted volvo customer services to be told that I can only use the supplying dealer for technical support, but the dealer, Mill garage Knarsborough, was indeed correct with his report.
it looks like a bad idea to buy the latest removable towbar from volvo.

Last edited by waterglen; Sep 30th, 2008 at 22:14. Reason: spelling mistakes, missing item
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 22:18   #6
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

I think a word with VOSA is in order, take it to them and get their opinion.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 22:21   #7
waterglen

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Milnes View Post
Is that Volvo UK or a Volvo dealer who is talking through the seat of their trousers? There is no way that a towbar can be left like this after only 1500 miles of towing. They should immediately replace the towbar or towball depending on where the play is occuring.

All the best, Peter.
Thanks Peter, Both the dealer, Mill Volvo Knarsborough and Volvo UK refuse to take the issue further, Volvo uk will not discuss technical issues, only the supplying dealer also. Thanks Keith.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 22:29   #8
waterglen

Angry loose towbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyken View Post
The towbar should be utterly rigid - no pay at all. If there is play then it hasn't either been fitted correctly - or the ball has been mounted into the fitting correctly.

I have towed a lot with mine and had no banging at all from it. Double check you have installed it correctly - if you have, take a trip to another dealer - or even a caravan dealership.
Volvo UK stated that the supplying dealer only can deal with this issue and I cannot speak to anyone technical at Volvo UK, and this play is ok untill reaching 8mm. Thanks.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 22:41   #9
stevo48
Premier Member

Please excuse my ignorance if I am wrong, if you have play in your towing gear and you are towing a caravan every time you stop and then set off again the play will be taken up causing unnecessary stress and possibly metal fatigue of the associated towing gear and components. This imo cannot be right, the implications of this and possible scenarios are mind boggling. As other forum members have already said , someone is giving you bullsh*t advice.
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 22:43   #10
waterglen

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyken View Post

Volvo UK said "the play between the ball and the car mount is normal and up to 8mm would be ok", confirming Mill Volvo Knarsboroughs diagnosis.
Would you buy one? Thanks.