Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 2.3 w/ crossed battery terminals

Views : 821

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 20th, 2018, 17:23   #11
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearWRX View Post
Hi guys, i'm negotiating a 2000 V70 2.3 which the previous owner said that a friend, while doing a service, crossed the battery terminals and the car "won't start and nothing lights up in the dashboard".
So, knowing that these cars have lots and lots of electronics, how bad it's this?

Do the just blow some fuses and spare the electronic modules or they just die along?
I've read that the main culripts when crossing battery terminals that the car won't even start are the "J fuses" in the fuse box, is it correct?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
dont forget your v70 may have up to four fuse box locations under bonnet end of dash foot well. and rear wing lots of people dont know about the footwell one its well hidden
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 03:56   #12
FearWRX

Thanks guys, the advice about the dealer hiding some major problems along with the excuses of just some blown fuses and such was surely an important tip.

I own an automatic 99 Civic LX but, like i said, i dream about owning an V70, not only because of the looks, technology, safety and such, but, as you all know now, in Brazil they're EXTREMELY rare, so, the exclusivity factor is a major one for me.

I also have a "donor" (it's a 06 [i don't exactly remember the year) XC70 2.4 from a junkyard which my boss owns), and this will help me a lot with any problems and parts that i'll need replacement, that's the other factor, that i have parts (cheap) to replace, that i'm accounting to when thinking about getting this "dead" one.

Again, thank you all for the cordiality and the extremely valuable tips.
FearWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FearWRX For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 04:06   #13
FearWRX

Also, i forgot to say, here, people don't usually try to fix these cars because they can't find help in portuguese, because we know that all the help we need are in english, only people like me might take the time to search for service manuals and such, so, it's not like it doesn't have a fix, it's more like people here don't care much about knowing english and more than that, like i said, try to search for help outside their native language.
FearWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FearWRX For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 12:24   #14
Freetime

Default run away

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearWRX View Post
That's a good point, i haven't thought about that.
Here where i live, Volvos are PRETTY rare, you don't find any of them even in the city centers, nor for sale.
And the seeler isn't that great, the comments about it (it's a dealership, in fact) isn't comforting either.

So, knowing that these cars has a lot of electronics, i'm very afraid of getting one, even though it's basically, my dream car.
Thanks for the advice, i'll try to see the car even in that condition and i'll post some updates tomorrow.

is it hard to do without any specific tools?
It's in the engine compartment, right?
If dealership want to off load it they have tried to repair it and failed. Some hidden faults they are not telling you about.
Freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 09:50   #15
reggit
Premier Member

I’d have a go. Dealerships aren’t much good at fixing cars in my opinion. Anything other than a stock fault will have them stumped.
There’ll be some protection from a reversed battery surely? Also most modern electronics will have a diode protection to stop damage from incorrect connection. I’d be shocked if a car didn’t have this.