Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 242 DL

Views : 1386

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 11th, 2003, 14:20   #1
Ben O Brien

Default Volvo 242 DL

getting on great and got a set of 15" 240 GLT alloys,just a few problems,ive noticed that it starts first time if its been sitting but if it cuts out and i try to restart it gets more difficult each time it cuts out to start,also its misfiring sometimes if i do get it restarted,if i let it cool down ie for a few hours it restarts no problem,any suggestions appreciated.
thanks
Ben
Ben O Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2003, 22:05   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: Volvo 242 DL

Try the fuel relay, it often gives similar symptoms.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2003, 21:01   #3
Ben O Brien

where abouts is this situated and how would i know if its gone,this engine has a mechanical pump,ive changed a pump on my 240 Gl estate but its a fuel injected engine(now for sale by the way if anyones interested),
Thanks
Ben
Old May 13th, 2003, 00:19   #4
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Sounds like the pump wants a clean-out also the pipework to the tank and possibly the tank pickup filter (internal). Somewhere along the line, probably between the pump and Carb there should be a filter which could also require replacement.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 20:25   #5
primitive

A faulty impulse sensor can also give these symptoms. Does the car cut out whilst being driven? And does the misfiring get worse when the car is hot?

Cheers
Old May 14th, 2003, 19:31   #6
Ben O Brien

Im not sure if it cuts out while driving as its a 4th car and isnt taxed or tested so not driven regularly although when i first bought it a few months ago i drove it around the rural area i live in and gave no problems once warmed up,until this week there was a dodgy battery in it and it had to be jump started and once i had disconnected the other car and come back the car would have or be close to cutting out,it misfires when started but some days it will start fine and other especially damp days it will misfire more,it is auto and the brakes are partly siezed and if i move it at low speeds in the yard it will refuse to idle without cutting out and running ithout the choke is not an option unless i keep revving it which i am not very comortable doing as its parked up a lot and the timing belt i not the greatest.where is this sensor and how would i change it.
Thanks
Ben
Old May 14th, 2003, 19:33   #7
Ben O Brien

just to answer your question it seems to run better once heated up and has more likelihood to run better although on some days the opposite is true
Thanks
Ben