Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cheap Wheel Bearings on E-Bay

Views : 975

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2018, 23:39   #1
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Default Cheap Wheel Bearings on E-Bay

OK I've posted this before but the experience has just got worse... so I thought I would update to hopefully avoid anyone else making the mistakes I have made... I know I'm always the first one to say for certain parts its best to use only genuine parts - on this occasion I didn't and I wish I had...

About a year ago I changed a rear wheel bearing on my XC90, I was contemplating upgrading the car so I bought the cheapest bearing on e-bay. This one to be precise:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-XC9...AAAOSwbkVaFrcz

Fitting it was a nightmare, the old one came off okay but when I built it back up - the wheel was locked. Turns out that the hub casting is a slightly different shape and it was fouling the parking brake back plate on one side and hence not seating correctly - net result was the brake disc/hub face was skewed. Had to strip down again, remove and cut the brake back plate..... took 3x longer than it should have.

Anyhow.... 9,000 miles and 10 months later the bearing has failed. Noisey, rough running, etc. No problem I thought has two year warranty. Seller led me on a wild goose chase for 4 weeks asking for a letter saying how it was fitted, then how it was diagnosed, then stopped answering all e-mails with no explanation. Got e-bay involved, they wont enforce warranties. After e-bay's intervention I got an e-mail from seller saying warranty claim declined as insufficient description of fault given which is nonsense and they're not replying again now. A full description was given including driving, ground up wheel tests etc.

So based on my experience of the poor quality, fit and fractional lifespan of the goods, and then the shyster behavior of the seller towards their claimed warranty period in the contract of sale - I will be avoiding all parts from e-bay seller Buhuha. For me it has been a costly and expensive mistake and they are clearly not a company of principles.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Sep 19th, 2018 at 23:42.
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 13:12   #2
gmonag
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm always the first one to say for certain parts its best to use only genuine parts - on this occasion I didn't and I wish I had...
Doh!

I agree with you, genuine parts are always the best option. That's not to say that I won't save a bob or two by buying parts from the OEM but not actually branded Volvo, but nevertheless the same part.

One of the risks of buying aftermarket (pattern) parts, other than premature failure, is that they don't fit. In that respect, used parts may be a better option in some cases (not this one though).
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 14:37   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonag View Post
Doh!

I agree with you, genuine parts are always the best option. That's not to say that I won't save a bob or two by buying parts from the OEM but not actually branded Volvo, but nevertheless the same part.

One of the risks of buying aftermarket (pattern) parts, other than premature failure, is that they don't fit. In that respect, used parts may be a better option in some cases (not this one though).
Quite simply this part did not fit, I worked it out at the time and made the necessary modifications but if it was being fitted at somewhere like Kwik Fit - I dread to think what the delay and cost would have been to the customer.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 15:28   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

The alarm bells for me would have been the lack of any branding and the price.
Genuine would of course be ideal but a SKF, SNR or FAG unit would give me equal confidence.
Sub £50 for a bearing hub assembly is simply too cheap and probably only good to get a short term cheap fix before selling the car or passing an MOT.

I changed one on the ex's Mitsubishi Colt and even that was £90 for a car that's about half the weight of an XC90 and has no added stress of AWD.
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 16:42   #5
John Brennand
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
on e-bay. This one to be precise:

I will be avoiding all parts from e-bay seller Buhuha. For me it has been a costly and expensive mistake and they are clearly not a company of principles.
How come this seller still has a 100% feedback rating - did you not mullah him ?
John Brennand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 17:54   #6
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
OK I've posted this before but the experience has just got worse... so I thought I would update to hopefully avoid anyone else making the mistakes I have made... I know I'm always the first one to say for certain parts its best to use only genuine parts - on this occasion I didn't and I wish I had...

About a year ago I changed a rear wheel bearing on my XC90, I was contemplating upgrading the car so I bought the cheapest bearing on e-bay. This one to be precise:

Fitting it was a nightmare, the old one came off okay but when I built it back up - the wheel was locked. Turns out that the hub casting is a slightly different shape and it was fouling the parking brake back plate on one side and hence not seating correctly - net result was the brake disc/hub face was skewed. Had to strip down again, remove and cut the brake back plate..... took 3x longer than it should have.

Anyhow.... 9,000 miles and 10 months later the bearing has failed. Noisey, rough running, etc. No problem I thought has two year warranty. Seller led me on a wild goose chase for 4 weeks asking for a letter saying how it was fitted, then how it was diagnosed, then stopped answering all e-mails with no explanation. Got e-bay involved, they wont enforce warranties. After e-bay's intervention I got an e-mail from seller saying warranty claim declined as insufficient description of fault given which is nonsense and they're not replying again now. A full description was given including driving, ground up wheel tests etc.

So based on my experience of the poor quality, fit and fractional lifespan of the goods, and then the shyster behavior of the seller towards their claimed warranty period in the contract of sale - I will be avoiding all parts from e-bay seller Buhuha. For me it has been a costly and expensive mistake and they are clearly not a company of principles.
Why would you go to all that effort and time to save a hand full of pounds in bearings....

So what if it has a warrenty?
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 18:57   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brennand View Post
How come this seller still has a 100% feedback rating - did you not mullah him ?
It was over a year ago now, the feedback % is calculated on the last 12 months. Not sure how they are 100% as they've clocked up four negatives in the last month, seemingly all stories like mine.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 19:02   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
The alarm bells for me would have been the lack of any branding and the price.
Genuine would of course be ideal but a SKF, SNR or FAG unit would give me equal confidence.
Sub £50 for a bearing hub assembly is simply too cheap and probably only good to get a short term cheap fix before selling the car or passing an MOT.

I changed one on the ex's Mitsubishi Colt and even that was £90 for a car that's about half the weight of an XC90 and has no added stress of AWD.
Would agree with all that - I replaced it with an SKF one. More than twice the price which I really wish I'd paid a year ago.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 12:27   #9
4x4
I roll

I discovered many years ago that 'pattern parts' were an expensive and time consuming way to go, they seldom fit without modification and they never last as long as a genuine part
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 13:44   #10
tomkirkland
2004 XC90

I've suffered the same problem with an eBay bought Bearing.

Failed after around 15,000 miles. Contacted the seller, who also said they wouldn't supply a bearing until I can produce a letter from a garage confirming it's the bearing, etc etc. Doesn't matter that my Father-in-Law is a retired Mechanic of 42 years who helped me fit it.

It wasn't expensive, around £45, and they'll walk off the car now we've replaced them before.

Normal thing, buy cheap, buy twice.

Will get two Good Quality units from eurocarparts, at least their face to face dealings.
Maybe AutoDoc, they stock SNF, FAG and SKF Parts at good prices.
I can't justify Volvo's £203 per bearing tho, sub £150 would be good lol

Last edited by tomkirkland; Nov 1st, 2018 at 13:50.
tomkirkland is offline   Reply With Quote