Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

73 es starter

Views : 2370

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 10th, 2014, 11:56   #11
paul staines

Is there a straight bolt on replacement starter that will spin the motor faster.
Don't want to mess about with different threads or hard to get at bolts. Would like to buy new or reconditioned. Name / Make / Specific part number or model of car and year of manufacture would be good.
Many thanks Paul.
paul staines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2014, 12:15   #12
Faust
Master Member

You can get 'High Torque' starter motors on ebay ... the downside is that they are not cheap. The lowest price I've seen was about £160.

If and when my standard starter gives up then I'll consider one of these pricey units... not gonna splash 200 quid to replace a perfectly serviceable motor though.
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Faust For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2014, 12:35   #13
paul staines

Smile

Thank you very much. This is just what I was looking for. £200.00 is a bit pricey but it does look like a worth while modification. Don't think it will be long before this is on my car !
Regards Paul
Old Oct 10th, 2014, 13:19   #14
Underdrive

Higher torque doesn't necessarily mean it will spin the engine any faster, and may require more amps than your battery can supply
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Underdrive For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2014, 13:30   #15
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul staines View Post
Thank you very much. This is just what I was looking for. £200.00 is a bit pricey but it does look like a worth while modification. Don't think it will be long before this is on my car !
Regards Paul
The 940 one really kicks my engine over considerably faster than the old one and I paid £15 for it.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2014, 13:37   #16
paul staines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khe Sanh View Post
The 940 one really kicks my engine over considerably faster than the old one and I paid £15 for it.
Hi Does one starter fit all models of the 940 and is it a straight forward swap. If it is I will buy a new or reconditioned one of these.
Best regards Paul
Old Oct 10th, 2014, 13:42   #17
paul staines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdrive View Post
Higher torque doesn't necessarily mean it will spin the engine any faster, and may require more amps than your battery can supply
Advert states
Twice as powerful
Runs faster
Will start the engine regardless of temperature or compression
Draw half the current of original starter
Save weight
Improve performance
Maximise chances of starting engine first time.
If the above is correct I want one !
Regards Paul
Old Oct 10th, 2014, 13:52   #18
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

It's the same starter for the 4 cylinder cars from 240 to 940. Rather than pay £200 for one of the eBay one, which does appear to be the geared type, why not fit a good used Volvo one and see how I goes. You may not get it for £15 the same as Mitch but £30 should be close.
A good original type starter in good working order with a good battery and ignition up to scratch should give you no starting problems anyway, but if you are going to replace it, this does have to count as an upgrade, and a cheap one at that.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2014, 16:31   #19
paul staines

The powerlite starter RAC444 is available as a direct fit replacement for £145.00 from AES. Lot cheaper than £200.00
Old Oct 10th, 2014, 21:15   #20
rainflye

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishandgerman View Post
That's exactly what I did and it's absolutely fine. However, I put a nut either side. It's the same thread as the 940 starter with about 20mm proud of the starter that I put a nut with washer on to lock it. Then, I put the starter on and put a suitable nut with washer on to tighten it nicely to the bellhousing. I widened the hole in the bellhousing a bit with a round file so that the threaded rod would fit through; this was awkward, but very do-able. I appreciate that it may not look very pretty if you were able to climb into the engine bay and get close enough to look at it (!!) but it overcomes the problem of limited access.
Many thanks for advice and techniques. Updated starter is in and working. Used 12mm X 100mm bolts and all went well
rainflye is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rainflye For This Useful Post: