Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I said i'll be back!

Views : 24045

Replies : 250

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 18th, 2018, 12:38   #201
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I have stuff I really must make myself do currently. I shall thereafter try to compare and if necessary contrast to my engine and see what I shall see.

Now. Reach for the giraffe ratchet, 25mm socket, fabric oil filter wrench, new copper gasket, torque wrench....for an oil change...and then check lights &c. &c. A carpentry clamp set to spread is useful to check brake lights, used betwixt seat frame and brake pedal.

Thereafter far more important life stuff.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 13:16   #202
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
As matter of price, I see that injector is £45.61 inc VAT at e.g. buycarparts.co.uk

Total order over £140, "free" i.e. included shipping.

Three times that cost you quoted for refurbishment?

There might well be better deals, like wot I guess you got Dave. And possibly worse deals too.

What you say is true, it is over £140 but nearly double that! I think you need a new abacus because when i went to school, 6 x £45 came to £270!

Refurbishing is cheaper :

http://www.emeraldm3d.com/emerald-se...ditioning.html

As you can see, £15 + VAT per injector so £108 total.

Given the fact the original injectors are 30 years old, no longer supported by Bosch (and probably all other spares suppliers), true refurbishment is probably impossible.
By updating my injectors to what was used on the 960 and also the later 940 models (depending whether a resistor injector was used or not) but only 4 on the 940s, i actually have injectors that are capable of being refurbished now.

Given the cost of refurbishing and what i paid for a set of newer injectors that are firstly less likely to need it even at higher mileage than what the originals have done and secondly even if i did have them refurbished, would essentially give me a set of "new" injectors, i've still save about half the overall cost of just buying a set of 6 new injectors the same as i bought secondhand. Most of the new injectors are coming out around the £100-125 mark so £45 for one is a good price.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 15:10   #203
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

..... I think you need a new abacus because when i went to school, 6 x £45 came to £270!

New abacus ?? Absolute Tosh !!!

I went back to school on the second day. Where were you?

£270 is more than £140 in anyone's 'rithmetic. !!!

Old Sep 18th, 2018, 15:17   #204
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
New abacus ?? Absolute Tosh !!!

I went back to school on the second day. Where were you?

£270 is more than £140 in anyone's 'rithmetic. !!!

Nope, you definitely need a new abacus because 4 x £45 is still £180, you appear to have done 4 x £35 for £140.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 15:25   #205
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Nope, you definitely need a new abacus because 4 x £45 is still £180, you appear to have done 4 x £35 for £140.
Oh Dave.

On your one day at school, did you do reading? Nowhere did I say a calculation result at £140 or any other amount.

I just gave a little info as to one price source, and took the trouble to check p&p. "Free" over £140.

Simples....

In fairness I should explain that the number of days at school is just a family joke. But please don't anyone tell Dave. He's occupied between reading lessons and Specsavers. Hush Hush ....

Old Sep 18th, 2018, 15:53   #206
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
As matter of price, I see that injector is £45.61 inc VAT at e.g. buycarparts.co.uk

Total order over £140, "free" i.e. included shipping.

Quote:
Oh Dave.

On your one day at school, did you do reading? Nowhere did I say a calculation result at £140 or any other amount.

I just gave a little info as to one price source, and took the trouble to check p&p. "Free" over £140.

Simples....

In fairness I should explain that the number of days at school is just a family joke. But please don't anyone tell Dave. He's occupied between reading lessons and Specsavers. Hush Hush ....

I can read very well when the information is present in a readable, logical fashion!

Had you added "If the" in front of your statement "Total order over £140" it would have changed the statement that the total order for the injectors required would be over £140 to a conditional on price, free shipping/postage/delivery offer.

Also by using a comma as punctuation after the "Total order over £140", the comma separates the two statements with no obvious connection.

It would be far better to use a conjunction such as "then" or "so" to make it "Total order over £140 then free/included delivery" or "Total order over £140 so delivery is included/free".

As most cars would need a minimum of 4 injectors (yes, there are some modern 3-cylinder cars and others that are single-point injection but for the purposes of this thread, discussing primarily a V6 Volvo with 6 injectors with a few bits thrown in about your 4 cylinder) it is perfectly reasonable and i would think, done by many to make that jump that you were working out the price of 4 injectors.

As such, it makes the injectors either £35 each for an order total of £140 or your abacus has thrown its toys out of the pram and is giving cowshed confetti answers.

A quote i read many moons ago is "Good English is almost always definitive", i can't remember which book it was in, something in the back of my mind says 1984 by George Orwell but it may just as easily have been another book.
In other words, if you write it correctly, there can not be any ambiguity on the meaning of what you have written. Likewise for speaking it.

Old Sep 18th, 2018, 16:31   #207
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Total order over £140 is not total order = £140.

P.S. You might be thinking of this:

A scrupulous writer, in every sentence that he writes, will ask himself at least four questions, thus: What am I trying to say? What words will express it? What image or idiom will make it clearer? Is this image fresh enough to have an effect? And he will probably ask himself two more: Could I put it more shortly? Have I said anything that is avoidably ugly?

George Orwell.

Actually that is all true. I have had to strive over those principles in "real life". And "over £140" does not offend.

And if you consider the Orwell quote, it offends vigorously against the first day at school helpful points.

I would add that the late great Sir Winston seeing someone of a particular mind had amended his speech alleging a split infinitive responded: This is interference up with which I will not put.

Great writing is full of wonderful variations from the helpful points taught on the first day at school.

Over £140 is not = £140. In the age old phrase. Larfed my derrier orf.

Okes. I promise. I'll leave it here. Just please don't have a go at my abacus again. It is the only one that I have got !!!!

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Sep 18th, 2018 at 17:56.
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 17:13   #208
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
The acronym "FPR" is very commonly used to denote the Fuel Pressure Regulator

This is my MAF/AMM :

Well there you are FPR is a TLA

Re the air mass meter, no such adjustment screw on mine. Different Bosch part number. So there's another difference twixt 700/900 compared to 240 upstairs. You 700/900 drivers appear to have an advantage there...

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Sep 18th, 2018 at 17:16.
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 18:03   #209
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Well there you are FPR is a TLA

Re the air mass meter, no such adjustment screw on mine. Different Bosch part number. So there's another difference twixt 700/900 compared to 240 upstairs. You 700/900 drivers appear to have an advantage there...
I doubt there is a mixture adjustment screw on the MAF for the B200F on any model. It ues LH 2.4 Jetronic, as opposed to LH 2.2 Jetronic on mine.

I wouldn't expect to find a mixture adjustment screw on a car with closed-loop control and a 3-way catalytic converter.

Old Sep 21st, 2018, 20:43   #210
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

After 2 years of no unexpected happenings i mentioned that to a friend a few days ago that it's been pretty reliable.

Hmmm, maybe i spoke too soon! After an unexpected flat battery yesterday (courtesy of my faithful pooch knocking the switch for the luggage compartment light! :roll: ) i thought it would be a good idea to check it started today, just in case it wasn't the luggage light.

Turned over fine.

The rest can be summed up by three TLAs - Three Letter Acronyms :

UAV
FTP
CPS

Translation :

UAV = Urban Assault Vehicle aka Volvo aka Dogmobile
FTP = Failed To Proceed aka wouldn't start
CPS = Crank Position Sensor

On the 4-pot Volvos it's quite a common occurrence because of where the CPS sits. On mine, although in the same position (top of the bellhousing), because it's a V6, it doesn't get any oil leaks from the rocker cover contaminating the wiring and causing failure like on the 4-pots. Just old age and the fact i obviously disturbed the wiring when fitting the injectors.

Gave the wiring a wiggle, turned the key - fired and has been ok since.

However, if it can throw it's toys out of the pram once, i'm sure it will again. Found one on ebay for the princely sum of about £20 so it's on its way to me, if that lasts another 30 years i'll be happy!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genui...y/401572503566

Did try getting one locally, local spares place can get one for monday but it's £43, Kia (i kid you not!) can get one tomorrow but it's £49 and a long drive to Bury St Edmunds to collect, couldn't find a number for a nearby Ferrari, Lancia or Rolls-Royce dealer and refuse to go to Peugeot/Citroen or Renault and they're NLA at Volvo.

Seriously, the same sensor is used by models from all those manufacturers!

As such, ebay to the rescue, hopefully it will land just as quick as any of the other options that could get it locally.

Meanwhile i'll have to hope it doesn't play up again, if it does then wiggling the wiring will hopefully get it going again.

When i have the new one in my grimy paw and get it fitted, i'll look at the old one to see if it's repairable, if it is then it's a handy spare to keep.