Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B230FK Timing Belt Conundrums.

Views : 2888

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 8th, 2018, 22:21   #21
LPTJoe

As mentioned previously I hate dead end threads so I thought it would be good form to pop in and update this one. In short timing belt has been achieved, the Ebay sourced DIY crank lock tool was a God send.

SAM_7194 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152293344@N05/]

SAM_7198 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152293344@N05/]

SAM_7256 by Patrick Wright, on Flickr

SAM_7198 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152293344@N05/]

SAM_7266 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152293344@N05/]

In short having the tool to lock the crank made life much easier, I would recommend it.
LPTJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LPTJoe For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 11:19   #22
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Good! Well done! Cushtie!

I have not used, am ignorant, as to the electric tool Dave recommended. Can it by the way truly torque set tightening if the crankshaft is not held in position to be tightened against? And I fear some less experienced people, or people with cheapo versions of that tool, might seriously over or under tighten using that tool.

Yes. The tool you obtained would be a godsend. It might have been made DIY by a forum member but I'd have to search back to find that. The tool to avoid is probably the one available in USA. There are reports of it bending type failing. EEK. Then again the official Volvo tool is precise, as solid as a battleship, a thing of beauty and a joy to behold. The early ones were made in Switzerland. (Not for sale.)

I can't find my relevant notebook at the moment. But. One particular aspect of the crankshaft locking tool is when turning over the engine to check the work. By using the tool so as to partially tighten everything, one can avoid the belt jumping a notch. On my first cambelt change, that had me repeatedly setting up the new cambelt until I realised what was going on !!! It was a lovely sunny Sunday morning and I got it sorted in the end.

Well done. And thank you for reporting back.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 12:36   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
I have not used, am ignorant, as to the electric tool Dave recommended. Can it by the way truly torque set tightening if the crankshaft is not held in position to be tightened against? And I fear some less experienced people, or people with cheapo versions of that tool, might seriously over or under tighten using that tool.

Yes. The tool you obtained would be a godsend. It might have been made DIY by a forum member but I'd have to search back to find that.
Yes it can Stephen. :thumbs-up:

My first experience of that tool was in fact on the crank pulley bolt on an 827 - undid the bolt with ease without even turning the engine a millimetere and same when doing it up. You set the torque in Nm using the buttons on the top, the set level of torque is displayed until you start using it then it displays the torque it has achieved until it reaches the preset level then it flashes the display to let you know you are there.

First thing i did when i got home after was buy one from Amazon. As long as the torque is entered correctly, they're idiot-proof.

As for the crankshaft locking tool, if it was home-made, i know of a member that used to make them, 827Roverman. However, somewhere on the relevant thread he did post something to the effect they wouldn't be available until further notice. Whether there are other members that have made them, i don't know but that 12v electric impact wrench does the job happily.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 14:29   #24
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Dave. Will we be able to use Nm after Brexit?

Okies. Sounds a useful tool. Will it also do the additional degrees on top of the torque setting?

I'm with the Crankshaft Pulley Tool. It is fundamental. It does not need batteries or charging or plugging in. It can hold the crankshaft during fine adjustments. And it could be used to gently tap, or even thump, recalcitrant objects. It won't stir my coffee. !!!!

But that electric gizmo might be useful for something some time. Temptation. What did Oscar say. He can resist anything, except temptation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 15:35   #25
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Dave. Will we be able to use Nm after Brexit?

Okies. Sounds a useful tool. Will it also do the additional degrees on top of the torque setting?

I'm with the Crankshaft Pulley Tool. It is fundamental. It does not need batteries or charging or plugging in. It can hold the crankshaft during fine adjustments. And it could be used to gently tap, or even thump, recalcitrant objects. It won't stir my coffee. !!!!

But that electric gizmo might be useful for something some time. Temptation. What did Oscar say. He can resist anything, except temptation.
On the grounds Sir Isaac Newton was British, i think we should stop the rest of the world (but especially Europe) using the Nm after Brexit.

As for the angular torque setting, no it won't, it's not that clever. Most angular torque settings that i've come across relate to head bolts and i wouldn't recommend this tool for the head bolts, which need to all be tightened evenly and progressively.

However it's very useful for wheel nuts! I absolutely abhor the use of pneumatic impact wrenches on wheel nuts because of the hammer action they use which not only gives rotational but lateral (in/out) movement as well. This can cause the socket to jump slightly off the wheel nuts, rounding them off, not to mention the fact that there is very little fine control on air wrenches. They have also damaged at least 2 sets of wheels beyond repair (FUBAR) that were mine and snapped a wheel stud on a friends car.

This electric one works purely on the rotary hammer principle so is much safer and if the correct torque setting is used, won't over-tighten the fasteners.

That was one of my sayings long before i heard that someone famous (Oscar Wilde) said it. If he wasn't dead i'd sue him for copyright/plagiarism!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 16:49   #26
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

So we will have to share the Nm ?? Allow EU to use the Newton (about the weight of an apple) and we can generously allow them to lend the metre to us. After all a Newton Furlong would be unwieldy. I hear that aero engineers [used to] measure force in slugs. To accelerate a mass of one pound at one foot per second per second init.

Wheel nuts. Now there's a topic. My worst wheel nuts experience involved all four wheels and a Volvo dealer. Hey ho.

Back to topic please Stephen. Joe. Thanks again for the info and the photographs. Well done.

Old Sep 9th, 2018, 20:18   #27
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
So we will have to share the Nm ?? Allow EU to use the Newton (about the weight of an apple) and we can generously allow them to lend the metre to us. After all a Newton Furlong would be unwieldy. I hear that aero engineers [used to] measure force in slugs. To accelerate a mass of one pound at one foot per second per second init.

Wheel nuts. Now there's a topic. My worst wheel nuts experience involved all four wheels and a Volvo dealer. Hey ho.

Back to topic please Stephen. Joe. Thanks again for the info and the photographs. Well done.

That's a heavy apple! Must have been a Bramley tree he was sat under. If memory serves, 1N is the same as 1kg or 2.21 lb in old money - soon to be new money again! (I hope!)

Not heard of the measure of slugs but how about the Newton-Yard? Or maybe the good, old-fashioned ft-lb or lb-ft, however you prefer to say it? After all, until the late 80s that's how it was measured anyway! Potatoes were sold in lb and not kilos too!

Old Sep 9th, 2018, 21:44   #28
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Lb-ft is the standard measure of torque. The whole NM bllocks is just confusing
classicswede is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 23:29   #29
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Lb-ft is the standard measure of torque. The whole NM bllocks is just confusing
In terms of doing the job right, yes, definitely!

However, in theory we were meant to be changing over to the SI (Systeme Internationale) by 1980 - it didn't happen! This Wikipedia article explains it in more detail than i can :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric...United_Kingdom

Officially (according to the politicians at least) we use Nm - as far as i'm concerned it should be lb-ft.

Old Sep 10th, 2018, 09:11   #30
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Dave.

We are drifting in to mass vs force. A newton is the force to accelerate a mass of one kilogram....&c. &c.

Comparing force to force, a newton ≈ 0.22481 lbf (Wiki)

A four ounce apple? Yes please!

I don't pretend to really understand mass. Force, yes I know an irresistible force when I encounter it.

I was told the weight of an apple
aid memoir in about 1968 by a Maths lecturer. It's the only thing I really learnt in those lectures. !!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT P.S. Would I be right to say one can only experience mass by the force resulting from its presence so it is almost an abstract?

Apologies to you Joe. Where is the cambelt in this thread now?

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Sep 10th, 2018 at 09:17.