Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

solving my new 940s little niggles

Views : 406

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 17th, 2018, 21:08   #1
SSDadWagon

Default solving my new 940s little niggles

hi im new here my names matt im 27yo and this is my 4th volvo (2x 340s and 1x 440) its a 97 940cd 2.3t auto and it has some issues id like help resolving
firstly occasionally it stalls... starts right back up but nevertheless i know an auto shouldnt so having a little look and where the throttle cable joins the throttle body?? i see theres a few cables supposed to be there the end one that goes down behind is snapped could this have an effect????
secondly the fuel gauge doesnt work is this a common thing???
and finally im guessing the trackings out because outside edge of both my front tyres are balding but the symptoms ive never come across before it actually wants to self centre so bad like feels like a small notch to get it off centre lol

also while im here are 740 & 940 estate parcel shelves interchangeable i dont have one and seem to find 740 ones easy
SSDadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SSDadWagon For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 22:12   #2
bob12
bob12

Welcome Matt .. I am sure that shortly the experts here will 'pop-up' with suitable responses to help. Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 23:44   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Welcome aboard Matt!

These problems you've got, first DON'T TOUCH THE THROTTLE STOP SCREW!!!

Second, which cables do you mean - the electrical cables or the Bowden cables for the kickdown, throttle and (if fitted) cruise control?

When it stalls, i'm guessing sometimes you'll be coasting to a stop just before it stalls? If so, keep an eye on the rev counter, if it drops like a stone and you still know the engine is turning, it points to the CPS - Crankshaft Position Sensor.

If the rev counter is still above zero, even if jumping about like a frog on a pogo-stick, the chances are the AICV (Air Idle Control Valve) and PCV system are filthy. You'll need some carb and air intake cleaner spray to solve this.

First you need to narrow the field a bit so it's in one area or the other - any other clues you spot along the way would be useful too!

It could also be down to a whole host of other things - those are the most common causes, need more clues first!

As for the fuel gauge - welcome to 7/9xx ownership! Sometimes you get one that never fails, others will work when they feel like it and others just won't work at all. A good place to start would be the instrument pack, remove it and the multiplugs from behind with the exception of a single wire for the rev counter, the others can only go back where they came from and the way round they are meant to be.
Clean the copper tracks on the PCB where it folds round the housing to make the male connector for the plugs to fit on - use a piece of fine emery cloth gently.

Clean the contact "fingers" in the plugs the same way and using something thin and strong like a small Allen key, pull the curve out a bit so the fingers are more bowed - it's a tedious job but can work wonders. While you have the instruments out, replace any duff bulbs in it and if you're considering changing the bulbs for LEDs on the illumination, now would be a good time.

That may restore your fuel gauge operation - also check the mounting screws that hold the fuel gauge into the pod, they are accessible on the back of the instrument pod - loose screws will prevent good contact as they are also the gauge electrical connections.

The tracking may well be spot on but the camber could be out - Volvo did a modified suspension mount to correct this - it may also be someone has fitted an older set of front struts to it in the wrong position, altering the camber or the rear springs may be weak or lowered again, causing camber problems on the front.
Or it could simple be that it's toeing in too much!

Could be the spaceship bushes have worn out, the tracking was set correctly while they were worn and they've since been replaced - so many possibilities here! On the good side, it is self-centring very well and that's a positive sign. You probably notice it more as this is your first RWD Volvo with power steering, it's not so noticeable on the 3xx even with manual steering and the 440 is FWD with very little self-centring feel.

As for the parcel shelves, i think so but i'm not sure. Buy a cheap one, if it doesn't fit, ebay it again and maybe make a profit, if it does, you've got a cheap one!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 11:09   #4
TonyS9
Premier Member

On the outer tyre wear, this is a common problem, especially with spirited driving. I feel it is down to low daily mileage and low tyre temperatures and pressures. I'm still experimenting but I'm currently trialing running 29psi in the front instead of 28. Lower profile wheels+tyres might also improve it.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 13:49   #5
Delta66

Regarding tyre wear, I would suggest a full laser alignment for all four wheels. It can be the cost of a tyre, but chances are your car has never had all the wheels checked since new. Mine felt much better to drive after I had it done. Tyre wear has reduced significantly.
Delta66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Delta66 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 13:53   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta66 View Post
Regarding tyre wear, I would suggest a full laser alignment for all four wheels. It can be the cost of a tyre, but chances are your car has never had all the wheels checked since new. Mine felt much better to drive after I had it done. Tyre wear has reduced significantly.
Good idea but check all the bushes first, especially the spaceship bushes. Also if it's an estate, chances are it has a live axle, not the multi-link/IRS set-up.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 17:33   #7
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

You can solve the tyre wear by doing the “camber mod” which basically adds slightly more negative camber to the front end. It was an official Volvo mod which I did to my car and it takes 10mins. If you lower the car say 40mm it has the same effect (ish). Having tracking and alignment checked won’t solve the problem if all they do is correct it to the factory defaults.
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 17:44   #8
Delta66

Mine got the 4 wheel laser alignment etc in February 2017, it was set to standard and the tyres, the fronts which were renewed at the same time have hardly worn. I have done about 5000 miles in that time.

I was a bit dubious, but Wheeler Dealers did it a couple of times and considering my front tyres turned out to be nearly 20 years old and the car needed track rod ends and drop links for its MOT, it made sense. I did feel a difference.
Delta66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Delta66 For This Useful Post: