Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

245 Rear Suspension Bushes

Views : 1389

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 26th, 2003, 22:22   #1
a15htn

Hi all,

I've bought a new toy.... an 88 245GL 2.0 to play with and ultimatley replace the 855R as the family workhorse.
Unfortunatley I think after 180k she needs a few bits of rubber replacing at the back end.

The whole car clunks, twists and wallows in the rear, so I assume the trailing arm bushes have died. I'm told that they are difficult to do (axle end) does anyone have any hints, tip or guidance on this area ??

Thanks in advance.
Jim,
'96 855-R (The Flying Wardrobe)
'88 245 GL (As yet to be named !!!!!!)
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 13:33   #2
cbyard
TDC Member ;-)

Default RE: 245 Rear Suspension Bushes

Hi Jim

not so difficult with a suitable extractor/inserter but probably near impossible without!

Anyway, after I'd made up my tool from the instructions someone (Bob Isaacs?) posted a link to, the actual job only took a couple of hours.

You'll need a reasonable trolley jack, some decent axle stands and the tool.

(Already seen your email- OK)

Cheers

Chris
cbyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 17:18   #3
cbyard
TDC Member ;-)

Further to last post, found the site reference I was given (Andrew not Bob was the benefactor) it's moved but still available at:

http://www.geocities.com/f124ss/240Mods.html

It's buried in section 6.8.

The correspondence about last years saga is still available in page 7 of the 240 postings- see 22 june if you're interested.

Cheers

Chris
cbyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 08:46   #4
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

If you are really stuck without the proper tools it can be done. Cut/melt out the old bushes, then hacksaw a groove on the inside to release the metal bush. Clean and polish inner faces very carefully, and prepare the faces of the new bushes similarly. Bevel the edge very slightly to give it a good start, apply vaseline, and press in using a heavy vice. You will need to find suitable spacers, pipe offcuts etc to bear on the bush. Press on the metal, not the rubber.
As I say, it can be done, but is probably not worth the effort or risk of damaging something.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 09:17   #5
Daviesthos

Further to the above - all the above is correct. I would normally also warm up the bush seating in the arm slightly before pressing in the bush - the bush goes in a whole lot easier. If painting the arm after with hammerite or similar - necessary if you have applied heat - don't get any on the rubber.

Best of luck.

John Davies
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 23:54   #6
a15htn

Thanks for the replies guys... the good news is they don't need doing (yet) Apparently I was expecting too much from the old girl around corners !

It has been said that a pair or rear shocks could help a little though.