Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hybrids, wall box or 3-pin socket?

Views : 901

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 18th, 2020, 16:07   #1
56Doc

Default Hybrids, wall box or 3-pin socket?

Hi folks,

I’m looking to buy a V90 T8 or XC90 T8 to replace my c-class phev which I charge from a dedicated 20A 3-pin socket as it’s a very small battery (6.4Kwh), so only takes a couple of hours.

I was just wondering what others use to charge their PHEVs;

A full on ev wallbox or a 3-pin socket?

Cheers All

Doc
56Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 17:42   #2
Cull06
Master Member

I’ve got a 3 pin fitted outside on a dedicated outside box. My mate has a proper box so I see both being used. 3 pin for me as my mate did it as a favour.

Reality is on the phev the 3 pin charges in plenty of time. 4-5 hours max for a full charge.

Ideally though you would want the cable secured so it can’t be nicked as otherwise it would be hassle putting it away each time.

Also the 3 pin outside needs to be done properly by a qualified sparky as it’s going to handle a lot of juice.

If you do go with the proper charger then have a look online re the grants for it. Still gonna cost 500-600 off the top of my head.
Old Dec 18th, 2020, 23:20   #3
56Doc

Default T8 chsrging

Thanks Cull,

I’ve already fitted a dedicated 3-pin watertight socket wired into to a 20A supply to charge the merc.

I am (or was, retired now) an electrical engineer, so no worries there.

Had been wondering if it was worth fitting a wall box is all. Apparently not it seems!

Thanks

Doc
56Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 56Doc For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 12:59   #4
magic77

from a time perspective it does from a reliability it does.

The granny chargers / portable chargers are never as long lasting and IMO a pain to keep pulling out the boot / garage to plugin etc. Unless you have secure parking and can hide it well.

I have a wallbox for our full electric car 32AMP non tethered and plan to fit another but capped to 16Amp since no need to run higher and with a tethered cable. As cars are parked apart and exposed but at same time the BEV hardly needs charging as get 130miles. Constantly reattaching / pluging in the portable is becoming tiresome as cant leave it out when not in use.

Octpus power currently have an offer for customers of £200 for a unit
magic77 is offline   Reply With Quote