Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 fuel filter change

Views : 9936

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 9th, 2020, 12:06   #11
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

I do the same on reassembly but smear the threads and O rings with Diesel raher than Vaseline. It's an oil after all.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2020, 01:11   #12
gaza90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al1304 View Post
Hi guys,

I did my D5 fuel filter yesterday, when replacing i smear some vasaline on filter cartridge small o-ring, it then pushes in nicely. As for cartridge screw on cover, i use brake cleaner to wash it out and the threaded part clean well, then smear vasaline into threads and around o-ring as it can be dry. screws on lovely and smooth no force needed just nip up gently on last turn, remember it's all plastic. By the way i use oil filter rubber strap type removal/replace tool.

Regards

Alan & Nicola
I did mine and it was really tight but as above used boa strap wrench
gaza90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 08:32   #13
Wacky7791

Just done one on an AWD XC60 2010 model, no chance of getting a ring spanner in there or much else with the diff and driveshaft in the way, at least not in a position where you can actually turn it.
Undid the 4 bolts to drop the anti-roll bar out of the way to then get a 32mm socket onto it to get it off.
Wacky7791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2022, 19:56   #14
Nikc13

Just in case it helps anyone doing this replacement, I struggled with a big 32mm ring spanner but fould that I had a 32mm Basin Wrench in my bag of spanners. It worked great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wrench.jpg (62.5 KB, 4 views)
Nikc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2022, 23:00   #15
dambat

You cannot reuse the seal as it swells on contact with diesel. So much so that in some cases, it can be impossible to reinstall. Also apparently cannot buy just the seal (I tried). Mann (oem) or genuine give no problems.
dambat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2022, 10:35   #16
Parknest

I did this very job last August as part of the annual service. It was documented on my YouTube channel. I managed to unscrew the housing by hand. Being made of plastic and with unknown service history, I was a bit loath to use any tools. I'd only bought the XC90 the previous month so this was the first time I'd serviced it. I used Bosch filters from Euro Car Parts which I've found are noticeably better quality than the cheapest ones and don't cost much more. I might fit a genuine Volvo fuel filter at the next service.

YouTube service video: https://youtu.be/SabqwqbABPk
Euro Car Parts link for the Bosch fuel filter: https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/bosch...lter-503660137
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB)
1972 Triumph Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L)
Parknest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2022, 12:27   #17
TeamG
Master Member

Did mine today on my XC60 AWD. Used a short hose from the foam gun from a Nilfisk pressure washer and a bucket. 18mm socket for the drain plug which was just more than finger tight, 32mm socket for the filter housing which wasn’t overly tight either.

32mm is hard to get on because it clashes with the anti-roll bar. The fuel filter does have some ‘give’ in the mounting, so can be leaned over a bit to fit.

Fuel filter housing wouldn’t fit past the anti-roll bar and the shaft, so left it in place and rotated to remove the filter and spray the inside of the housing to clean.

Collected just under 1 litre of diesel - despite a full tank, nothing more dripped away. This had filthy debris in it and the filter was quite dirty - 5 yrs old and 37,000 miles, but suspect the fuel filter has never been changed before as not serviced by Volvo after the first year and the old filter was Volvo stamped (I suspect that Motorpoint would use the cheapest cr*p rather than OEM if they even bothered).

Car started for about 10 secs then died. Turned it over for three bursts of 10 seconds and it fired about 8 seconds into the third burst. Ran fine after that and no leaks after running for a few minutes.

Photos attached.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 09:15   #18
mr tickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parknest View Post
. I used Bosch filters from Euro Car Parts which I've found are noticeably better quality than the cheapest ones and don't cost much more. I might fit a genuine Volvo fuel filter at the next service.

YouTube service video: https://youtu.be/SabqwqbABPk
Euro Car Parts link for the Bosch fuel filter: https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/bosch...lter-503660137
Wow £40 for a filter!

Genuine OE manufacturer filters can be bought for less than a tenner!

Purflex is the Manufacturer of the volvo Genuine part filter.

I always buy mine from here >

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222629945...be2%7Ciid%3A14

Save yourself some cash!

It is recommended that you should always fit a genuine Volvo filter, problems have arisen over some of the patent parts in the past, but in this case it's a win win situation because the Genuine volvo filter is made by Purflex C516.
If you look on the one volvo supply it will say C516 on it.
A 400% mark up by Volvo
V70 D5 2009 - T5 convertible - V40 1.8 - 343GL - the one with the elastic band transmission!
mr tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 10:22   #19
ltec

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr tickle View Post
Wow £40 for a filter!

Genuine OE manufacturer filters can be bought for less than a tenner!

Purflex is the Manufacturer of the volvo Genuine part filter.

I always buy mine from here >

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222629945...be2%7Ciid%3A14

Save yourself some cash!

It is recommended that you should always fit a genuine Volvo filter, problems have arisen over some of the patent parts in the past, but in this case it's a win win situation because the Genuine volvo filter is made by Purflex C516.
If you look on the one volvo supply it will say C516 on it.
A 400% mark up by Volvo
Nothing wrong with bosch filters. They can be got just as cheap on ebay. Sometimes cheapest isn't always best as it could end up fake.
I've always fitted mahle on all cars as its what's sold locally, never had one leak or come back.
It doesn't have to be genuine. The problem is usually when its fitted by a hatchet man and damages the seal.
Not the fault of any filter.
Again its only a filter, purflux is a good brand but not a necessity.
ltec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 10:34   #20
mr tickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltec View Post
Nothing wrong with bosch filters. They can be got just as cheap on ebay. Sometimes cheapest isn't always best as it could end up fake.
I've always fitted mahle on all cars as its what's sold locally, never had one leak or come back.
It doesn't have to be genuine. The problem is usually when its fitted by a hatchet man and damages the seal.
Not the fault of any filter.
Again its only a filter, purflux is a good brand but not a necessity.
I think you missed my point, it was about finding out who manufactures the genuine parts for volvo and buying them at a far cheaper price, in this case cheaper than all of the alternatives.

I'm not arguing the genuine part vs cheaper part debate here only that the genuine volvo part you get when you pay £50 from your dealer is actually made by Purflex (in France i think) and you can get them for £10.
Volvo add £40 Euro car parts add £30 - C'est tout.

It's similar with the vacuum mounts, they are manufactured by Corteco and supplied to volvo with both the same part number, corteco and volvo stamped on them. If you buy them from an alternative supplier the have the same part number the corteco name but the volvo name has been Sanded off - if you look you can just about see it.

Maybe we should have list on here with more manufacturers parts vs genuine and where to get them?
V70 D5 2009 - T5 convertible - V40 1.8 - 343GL - the one with the elastic band transmission!
mr tickle is offline   Reply With Quote