Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 New Battery Start/Stop

Views : 9510

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2021, 17:26   #31
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Update - left it on charge for about 4 or 5 days....didn't do the 'reset'.
Stop-start was still showing as not available.
After a short drive, the stop-start came back on. I'll monitor it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannydude View Post
At worst, you may need to replace the battery. You also have a smaller auxiliary battery which may or may not need changing.

I sourced mine from below. Fast delivery and good selection of quality brands.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/
Yup - although it is hard to know if the aux battery needs replacing, from what I read.
I've used Tayna before: they are the ones who gave me this brilliant advice for starting a car with a completely dead battery: used a few times (for other cars!):

Please try the following to re-charge your battery:

1. Connect flat battery to any other battery with jump leads
2. Leave for 10 mins and then connect charger to flat battery at same time.
3. Turn on charger and charge like this for 1 hour.
4. Then take off jump leads and charge battery normally with charger for minimum of 12 hours.
This will then bring the battery up to 12.73v (100% Capacity)
Old Jan 17th, 2021, 11:33   #32
Deck1ng
Master Member

I think one should point out the dangers of OVER charging a battery, more damage can be inflicted to the battery by just walking away after plugging it in. I’m quite a new convert to the “smart charger”, but at least these give you protection from over charging as they will switch themselves off once the process is complete, unlike father-in-laws rusty tin box with taped up wires and dodgey spring clips that will continue to pump unwanted electricity into the battery.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 13:21   #33
apsel

A tip on using the BMS reset technique, that I found out the hard way. This is that you need to do the button presses reasonably quickly otherwise you do not get the battery indicator flash (nor does it reset). I would estimate you need to press the button with a maximum time between presses of 1 sec for presses within the two different sequences.

This should only really be used for a new battery as other info on the net says it changes the charging regime to better suit a new battery, which could potentially hasten the demise of an older battery.
Old Feb 12th, 2022, 16:49   #34
Pete-V70 D5 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by apsel View Post
A tip on using the BMS reset technique, that I found out the hard way. This is that you need to do the button presses reasonably quickly otherwise you do not get the battery indicator flash (nor does it reset). I would estimate you need to press the button with a maximum time between presses of 1 sec for presses within the two different sequences.

This should only really be used for a new battery as other info on the net says it changes the charging regime to better suit a new battery, which could potentially hasten the demise of an older battery.
If you press the hazards three times they stay on. That cant be right can it? It didnt work on my 2010 V50 DrivE anyway for a new battery and neither did the thing pulling the BMS probe from the negative terminal cable at the battery. Bloody cars a royal PITA.

Generally it would appear the AGM batteries on stop/starts are only designed to run around 80% SOC which leaves capacity for the stop. start feature under breaking etc to top up battery.
Most batteries can run down to 50% ish SOH and only need changing when you notice symptoms like not holding a charge or not enough power to start car. The stop/start AGM batteries will stop working around 60% and pushing up all sorts of errors like low battery etc. It will still work as the design of the battery means it gives a good kick starting car but thats it. If it doesnt start quickly you are in trouble. Whereas the older batteries just keep cranking away ill flat. The agm stop/starts will last 4 to 4.5years in a usable state. Normal batteries will last a year or more longer than this. This is how I have interpreted reams of stuff on the subject and there are a 1001 solutions apparently!! lol I had a new battery ( be careful cos places like tanya will happily sell you non compliant batteries of more amps etc) I took her for a long run of over an hour and its constantly charging at around 14.67v which isnt sustainable I imagine. So far failed to reset darn BMS which should help I imagine. It would appear to be carrying assuming its my near useless old battery.

Using FOXWELL BT100 Battery monitor which also said old battery needed replacing.

12/2/22
Battery Monitor status after new Varta E39 battery and a long run yesterday. Today before ignition switched on so an overnight reading.

12.40v
Measured; 659
SOH: 88
SOC: 75
RES 3.65

New battery before fitting
12.59v
Measured= 687
Rated= 760v
SOH= 91%
SOC= 100%
Res= 3.50

OLD Battery
12.21v
M= 390
SOH= 52%
SOC= 53%
Res= 6.06

Last edited by Pete-V70 D5 2003; Feb 12th, 2022 at 16:56.
Pete-V70 D5 2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 17:29   #35
FreshAir

BMS reset procedure in words:

For a reset of the BMS:
1. Switch on ignition (do not start engine)
2. Switch on dipped beam
3. Press 6x the rear fog light button (do not switch 6x on and off the rear fog light just 6 presses)
4. Press 3x hazard lights button (do not switch 3x on and off hazard lights just 3 presses)
5. Then the battery symbol in the speedometer should flash 3x quickly.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2022, 10:41   #36
Stroudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
BMS reset procedure in words:

For a reset of the BMS:
1. Switch on ignition (do not start engine)
2. Switch on dipped beam
3. Press 6x the rear fog light button (do not switch 6x on and off the rear fog light just 6 presses)
4. Press 3x hazard lights button (do not switch 3x on and off hazard lights just 3 presses)
5. Then the battery symbol in the speedometer should flash 3x quickly.
Is this procedure resetting the count on the main vehicle battery or the smaller auxiliary.. and is the 'low battery' message we are discussing here regarding the main or smaller aux battery? Thanks.
Stroudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2022, 18:51   #37
Tizwoz

Default PHEV 12v battery charging

I manage to run my D6 plugin in Pure mode succesfully which works well for many of my journeys as the trips are within hybrid battery capacity. The 12v AGM battery however supplies the usual services like fans, radio, steering, brakes and lights and alarm so also needs charging. The 12v cigarette lighter type outlet in the luggage area is always live and I find can be used to charge the battery.

I just put a fused cigarette outlet plug onto a smart charger and it makes a simple task of connecting the charger to the battery. Np plastic covers to remove unlike under the bonnet, and the charger can live in the boot area out of sight. The door doesn't close completely to allow for the mains lead for the charger but does lock to keep the charger and lead secure.
Tizwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 16:13   #38
RSmith

Default Low Battery

I've owned my Diesel, Manual, XC60 from new in 2012. After getting the low battery warning last year I replaced the main large battery, but if the car was not used for a few days the warning would be displayed again, knowing the battery was new I just ignored the message.

I finally decided I should look into and measured both batteries first thing before I run the car and both were well above 12v 12.47 and 12.7. I tried the trick of removing the monitor for ten seconds, that appeared to work for two days. My car has two dials but thought I would try the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu9z5m78Szw trick, but the battery symbol did not flash after the sequence. Do I have to take mine to a dealer so the SS will work and the low battery waring will go.
RSmith is offline   Reply With Quote