Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Both vanity mirror lights not working!?

Views : 1366

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2021, 17:25   #1
Yelper85

Default Both vanity mirror lights not working!?

Hi all,

Ok, very strange one this fault, but basically both the passenger and driver vanity mirror lights aren't working.

I knew it wouldn't be the bulbs given they are used for like 10 minutes total for the entire life of the car but I changed them anyway (using rubber gloves of course) for sanity purposes but it didn't resolve the issue.

I've checked the fuses according to the manual (which also control the rain wiping sensor and driver door controls etc) and they're fine, so what the hell is going on?!

The switches are, I believe, just like the glove box light in that they operate purely via a mechanical switch and don't feed into any control module (feel free to correct me if wrong), however there's not a cat in hells chance all four bulbs and two switches have gone.

Has anybody else had this?

Even sillier question, has anybody ever managed to get the fitting out as I've tried pulling but feel like I'm going to damage the entire mirror as though it's a fit for life and not designed to ever come out?

It seems like there's guides at the bottom and it clips it at the top to give a deep impression in the fabric and give a nice clean fit, so I'm reluctant to keep pulling. I wonder if I need to remove the front flap to expose screws or clips?

Any help or ideas welcome.

20 plate XC60 Inscription Pro T8 PHEV + Polestar
Yelper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 18:49   #2
Deck1ng
Master Member

As I stated on your first set of posts regarding LED replacement lamps, there is a video on Utube showing the centre lamp just being pulled off the roof, I have just watched it again, there are 6 connecting points, two front, two centre and two at the rear, he just gives it a good tug pulling straight down. Bearing in mind that the electrical connection is left in place there are no dangling wires.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 19:58   #3
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck1ng View Post
As I stated on your first set of posts regarding LED replacement lamps, there is a video on Utube showing the centre lamp just being pulled off the roof, I have just watched it again, there are 6 connecting points, two front, two centre and two at the rear, he just gives it a good tug pulling straight down. Bearing in mind that the electrical connection is left in place there are no dangling wires.
It’s not the central lights I’ve got an issue with, indeed if you keep reading that post you’ll see my reply including pictures of the clip locations, wiring and bulbs etc.

This issue is the lights in the vanity mirrors in the sun visors.

Old Jan 17th, 2021, 18:20   #4
Deck1ng
Master Member

Quote,”. Using a suitable flat blades tool or a small screwdriver, prise the mirror housing from the sun visor. This should be undertaken carefully as the components are easily broken. “Unquote.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2021, 19:17   #5
Yelper85

Quote:
Quote,”. Using a suitable flat blades tool or a small screwdriver, prise the mirror housing from the sun visor. This should be undertaken carefully as the components are easily broken. “Unquote.
That's for the bulbs, not the entire fitting in its entirety from the visor itself.

The old style allowed you to separate the fitting in two parts revealing the internal circuitry; the new style doesn't and needs to be prised out as a whole unit.

Old Jan 18th, 2021, 12:48   #6
Yelper85

Quote:
I forgot to ask Deck1ng, where did you get that quote from?

Was it definitely for a 2015/2016 V60? Did it have any images showing the clip locations?

Old Aug 20th, 2023, 07:09   #7
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

Did you solve this ? Is there a hidden fuse or supply wire
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2023, 18:19   #8
Yelper85

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrybritcher View Post
Did you solve this ? Is there a hidden fuse or supply wire
I did get this resolved but for the life of me I can't remember how! I know at some point I did blow a fuse trying to install the lights with the power still on, so had to replace it and just installed without the fuse in after that.

I can't remember if it was F21 that fed the vanity lights as well as the interior roof lighting, especially as the original post stated I'd checked the fuse and it was ok, so it would be worth checking the others just in case. I assume you've checked F21 already?

Something tells me that when I first tried, the car almost sensed it was shorting out and killed the power to the fuse, not that the fuse blew as when I gave it some time, the power would come back automatically. As I said initially though, at some point I really did short it and a fuse blew, but I can't remember if it was F21.

I've attached some pics which may help. I can also send you a pic of the actual switch as well if you want. It's the simplest, most basic mechanical switch you can think of, but it works and can never really fail!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12V fuses 1.jpg (70.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: png 12V fuses 2.PNG (109.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Vanity lit.jpg (19.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Vanity strip down 1.jpg (61.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Vanity strip down 3.jpg (46.4 KB, 8 views)