Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Start Denied. DTC code CEM-6C49

Views : 2064

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2021, 19:46   #1
yorkymort

Unhappy Start Denied. DTC code CEM-6C49

2011 XC90 Executive 2.4 AWD problems with "start denied, try again " message. Car starts okay, first time in a morning, drive for 30 mins switch engine off, go into shop for groceries, get back in car, turn ignition on try to turn engine over, nothing happens and "start denied, try again" message appears. Does this two or 3 times, turn ignition fully on, put gear lever into neutral, turn key and engine starts. Looked up DTC codes and CEM-6C49 Steering Column Lock Module Faulty Signal comes up. Would really appreciate possible solutions from all or any Volvo techs out there who could point me in the right direction on how to fix this annoying problem. Many thanks. Yorkymort.
yorkymort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2021, 22:36   #2
oragex
Premier Member

I would suggest also posting in the 01-09 S60 section - as it may be a common system. Clan member I believe is a Volvo tech. If there are no answers, may try on this other forum (also on S60 section), there are sometimes Volvo techs around https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/
Old Jan 18th, 2021, 14:05   #3
yorkymort

Oragex, Many thanks for your assistance and response to my problem, very much appreciated. I have looked through all the items on the Youtube link without success, lots of serious and very helpful videos etc on most problems with nearly all models of Volvo cars, have now started to go through all the posts on the MatthewsVolvo site, this site is also very helpful, if I see anything that helps sort out the problem with my XC90 I will let you know, once again many thanks. Yorkymort.
Old Jan 18th, 2021, 14:20   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkymort View Post
Does this two or 3 times, turn ignition fully on, put gear lever into neutral, turn key and engine starts. Looked up DTC codes and CEM-6C49 Steering Column Lock Module Faulty Signal comes up. Would really appreciate possible solutions from all or any Volvo techs out there who could point me in the right direction on how to fix this annoying problem. Many thanks. Yorkymort.
Is there any reason you do not believe the diagnostics message?
Sounds like the cause, and thus the solution, is pretty clear.

Should you wish to confirm it is the immobiliser chip receiver (the Steering Column Lock Module), simple drive a few days with your other key.
If the problem persists, the keys are fine, the immobiliser receiver is suspect. Replacement of the module is the correct repair method.

If the car shows no sign of the problem with the second key, then the immobiliser transducer in the first key is poor. This unfortunately will mean getting a new key.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 12:07   #5
yorkymort

SwissXC90. Many thanks for your very helpful input, much appreciated. I have no reason to think that the DTC code is wrong, I really want to understand the problem and like most Volvo owners how to fix the problem at least cost.
I have tried different keys and the problem still persists so your diagnosis that the immobiliser receiver is suspect and that the way to fix it is to replace the module, looks to be absolutely the way to go. Have you any information on how to do the repair or can it be only done by a Volvo dealer, does the the new receiver module have to be programmed with the original keys or will the keys also require new immobiliser transducers as well. Any help will, as always, be appreciated. Thanks, yorkymort.
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 06:57   #6
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Ask the dealer for pricing
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 23:42   #7
oragex
Premier Member

A few things that are not difficult to try, is to 'shake' a little the gear selector in case the switch gets stuck in D or alike. Same near the ignition barrel, when it behaves, may try tapping near the barrel. I believe there is an antenna ring inside (see Youtube), the green connector may sometimes make intermittent contact.
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 20:25   #8
yorkymort

SwissXC90.

oragex.

Many thanks for both of your very helpful suggestions on how to fix the
problem on my Volvo XC90, really appreciated.
On further investigation of the problem again I have come to the
conclusion that the Immobiliser Antenna Ring Key Reader is faulty, after
searching the internet I have found a genuine Volvo dealership selling
these items on Ebay, with good reviews and a reasonable price I have
ordered one, should be here next week. The youtube video link suggested
by oragex has an excellent video ( by peppermint ) which shows how to
remove and fit a new Immobiliser Ring, should be within my capabilities to
do the work myself. Will let you both know how things have progressed as
soon as I can. Once again Thanks. yorkymort.
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 15:11   #9
yorkymort

Default Good News,Immobiliser receiver ring fitted and working.

SwissXC90.
oragex.

Good news, so far so good. New immobiliser receiver ring arrived, (definitely Plug & Play ) fitted and working. All for less than £50.00.
1. Disconnected battery. 2. Adjusted steering wheel down as far as possible.
3. Lifted top plastic cover from above ignition lock as far as possible. 4. Removed both square rubber seals from wiper lever and indicator lever ( take note of how they fit back on ) 5. Remove three T25 screws from underneath bottom plastic cover, pull cover out. 6. Carefully pull old receiver ring off, may have to use small screwdriver to lift locking tab. 7. Disconnect green feed cable plug, straight pull off. 8. Plug in new receiver ring and carefully push ring over ignition lock ensuring lock tab clicks in place. 9. Push bottom plastic cover in place, ( patience and care needed here ) screw in three screws. 10. Push top plastic cover into place and finally press in square rubber seals. Reconnect battery. Time to fit 1 hour and 15 minutes.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to yorkymort For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 3rd, 2021, 15:44   #10
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Well done and thanks for the close-out and step-by-step guidance.

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote