Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to Colour code switches, instruments with LED bulbs

Views : 10068

Replies : 86

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 9th, 2013, 09:26   #21
ton246
If in doubt flat out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Nice one Tony!

You say it doesn't look as green in the pic as in the flesh, that's probably the same reason as when i took my pics mine came out a bit out of focus and dark, because the camera is over-compensating for the light. Or something like that!
Yeh, looks a lot greener than the photo, and was suprisingly straight foward, thanks to your write up. Just need to try and find the fault with the switch lights, so dash out again tonight, now I know it's a relatively easy operation.
1989 Daimler xj40

Last edited by ton246; Apr 9th, 2013 at 09:28. Reason: Poor spelling
ton246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 09:42   #22
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Do you have a multimeter or a test lamp at all? That would help in the fault finding process.

Also did you replace the cig lighter bulb with an LED and does that light up? If so, does the cig lighter itself work? Might seem odd questions but there are reasons.

If the cig lighter doesn't work, first check and replace the fuse. Then if it still doesn't work, check the earth by running a piece of cable from the outer metal housing to a known good earth point. Might be worth trying the switch lighting after checking these things.

That's just a hunch at this stage, not had a look at the diagram yet just going on a possible/likely cause of trouble and backfeeds.
Also if you can remind me of anything else not working that might give a clue or three!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Apr 9th, 2013 at 10:16. Reason: Extra info
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 10:54   #23
ton246
If in doubt flat out

Quote:
Do you have a multimeter or a test lamp at all? That would help in the fault finding process.

Also did you replace the cig lighter bulb with an LED and does that light up? If so, does the cig lighter itself work? Might seem odd questions but there are reasons.

If the cig lighter doesn't work, first check and replace the fuse. Then if it still doesn't work, check the earth by running a piece of cable from the outer metal housing to a known good earth point. Might be worth trying the switch lighting after checking these things.

That's just a hunch at this stage, not had a look at the diagram yet just going on a possible/likely cause of trouble and backfeeds.
Also if you can remind me of anything else not working that might give a clue or three!
Replaced the cig lighter bulb, and yes, the cig lighter works but the light doesn't. Everything electrical works, apart from the heated seats ( power to the switch as the red light lights up to show its on ) and just the lights to all the switches. All the instruments work, leccy mirrors & windows works, even the fan works now. Stumped.
1989 Daimler xj40
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 11:33   #24
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Just had a look at the diagram, the wires that feed the switch illumination are a blue one and a white one.

When you checked the fuses, did you check fuse #21? Shouldn't make any difference if the dash lights are working as that feeds both the dash lights and the switch lights but worth double checking anyway.

Does it have a radio or stereo in it and does that light up? Might sound as if i'm clutching at straws and in some respects i am because i'm about 300 miles south from the car so can't actually see it but trying to think of the most obvious things that might have some effect on it.
If the radio doesn't light up then the fault might lie behind that.

As a basic check, you could try feeding the switching lighting from fuse #21 with a piece of wire to the +ve feed to the cig lighter bulb. The +ve should be the white wire on the cig lighter bulb holder and in fact, the other bulb holders. Something is niggling in the back of my mind that it might be the dimmer causing it but logic and the diagram tell me i'm wrong.
If feeding the cig lighter bulb from F21 (with the ignition on) gets the switch lighting going then it points towards the connector on the back of the instrument cluster.

There's a couple of other things you could try but i think if you try that little lot you should get some results one way or another, might give us the answer or at least a very helpful clue!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 12:31   #25
ton246
If in doubt flat out

Quote:
Just had a look at the diagram, the wires that feed the switch illumination are a blue one and a white one.

When you checked the fuses, did you check fuse #21? Shouldn't make any difference if the dash lights are working as that feeds both the dash lights and the switch lights but worth double checking anyway.

Does it have a radio or stereo in it and does that light up? Might sound as if i'm clutching at straws and in some respects i am because i'm about 300 miles south from the car so can't actually see it but trying to think of the most obvious things that might have some effect on it.
If the radio doesn't light up then the fault might lie behind that.

As a basic check, you could try feeding the switching lighting from fuse #21 with a piece of wire to the +ve feed to the cig lighter bulb. The +ve should be the white wire on the cig lighter bulb holder and in fact, the other bulb holders. Something is niggling in the back of my mind that it might be the dimmer causing it but logic and the diagram tell me i'm wrong.
If feeding the cig lighter bulb from F21 (with the ignition on) gets the switch lighting going then it points towards the connector on the back of the instrument cluster.

There's a couple of other things you could try but i think if you try that little lot you should get some results one way or another, might give us the answer or at least a very helpful clue!
Dave,the radio lights up..........see

I'm sure I checked every single fuse, but will check again this time i'll use my multi meter to check for continuity, you never know. The dimmer switch works as well. I'll let you know how I get on tonight. Thanks for your help its much appreciated.
Cheers
Tony
1989 Daimler xj40
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 12:49   #26
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

You're very welcome Tony. At least we know there is a feed to the radio so that part of the circuit is intact at least.

When you check things with your multimeter, it might be worth pulling the plug off the back of the bulbholders for the switch lighting and checking you have a 12V feed there with the dash lights on. If so then it's down to the bulb holder and/or the bulb/LED.

Sure we can get you sorted!

On another note, when i drove mine last night to take the hound for his "evening constitutional" it was nice to see the green lighting. I do like blue and i converted my other car to all blue lighting (a lot trickier than the Volvo!!!) and it looks good, which is why i went for blue with the Volvo.
It wasn't until i changed to green that i realised that blue was the wrong colour for the Volvo as green seems to "suit" it much better!

Old Apr 9th, 2013, 20:28   #27
ton246
If in doubt flat out

Quote:

When you check things with your multimeter, it might be worth pulling the plug off the back of the bulbholders for the switch lighting and checking you have a 12V feed there with the dash lights on. If so then it's down to the bulb holder and/or the bulb/LED.
Dave, you are spot on, checked the feed to the back of the bulb holder and it showed 12v, so out with the bulb a bit of bending wires and jiggling about and he presto we have light. I think part of the problem is the quality of the bulbs, as some didn't even work, so just went each bulb and after a bit of tweaking they all now work. Will post up a pic soon. Thanks again Dave.
1989 Daimler xj40
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 21:46   #28
ton246
If in doubt flat out

Default The money shots

Is it sad that i'm so happy to have switches that light up ?

Big thanks to Dave ( Laird Scooby ) for all his suggestions / hints of what the problem could be and how to go about checking things.
1989 Daimler xj40
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 23:01   #29
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Glad you've got it sorted Tony and that i could help.

You mention the quality of the bulbs. I've often wondered about that, even when i've bought them but have come to the conclusion that as most if not all LEDs now come from China and regardless of the price to the end user, are probably made in the same factory on the same line, my line of thought is get the best price possible from a UK supplier and take the risk on one or two failing.
I have to say though, i've not had a dead LED bulb as yet although i've had a few dead filament bulbs (the old sort) straight out of the packet.
Might be worthwhile having another play with the "dead" LEDs that you have - could be they just don't connect in the bulbholders but because of limitations in the plastic base on them, another one might.

Be interesting to see if others do similar, perhaps in different colours. We've already seen green and blue, who will be the first to go red? Or maybe orange, yellow or even purple? Or for the more girly types, there are pink LEDs available although i get the sneaking suspicion i'll regret saying that!!

Old Apr 10th, 2013, 00:55   #30
popuptoaster
Master Member

You can buy RGB LEDs although I guess you'd need a controller to decide which colour you want them, I don't know if they are the same size though.

I have one of these Pioneers to instal at some point, this is how mad RGB LEDs can go, might be a tad distracting in your dash though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt34op69Z-4