Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Well after a disasterous day, its here, the 740 Turbo!

Views : 5973

Replies : 95

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 13th, 2006, 19:49   #11
740Estate
Undercover 740

No, it's a bag of nails. I'll take it off your hands for 200 quid to save you all the hassles you'll no doubt come across..

Ok, Ok, Yeah looks like you've done very well.

Now dont break it!
-- Harry Carpenter, BBC TV, Boat Race 1977.
------------------------------------------------
Slidin' it round past the apex of reality
740Estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 20:06   #12
TheJoyOfSix
N.F.I

Is it a red light or an orange light? the ABS warning light is around there somewhere and it's orange with the pic of a back axle in brackets with short lines under the axle. If it's on it's most likely that either the fuse on the control module under the dash has blown or the sensor ring on one of the wheels is dirty.

As thought you have the B230FT with the later LH2.4 inj system, this should have come with a cat from the factory, but hopefully the previous owner removed it!
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 21:01   #13
James_N
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V6 Man View Post
Is it a red light or an orange light? the ABS warning light is around there somewhere and it's orange with the pic of a back axle in brackets with short lines under the axle. If it's on it's most likely that either the fuse on the control module under the dash has blown or the sensor ring on one of the wheels is dirty.

As thought you have the B230FT with the later LH2.4 inj system, this should have come with a cat from the factory, but hopefully the previous owner removed it!

Strange you should say that, the ABS light has come on just now while driving. So what do i do? In the book it says take it to a volvo dealer, but if its something simple, then i wont bother.

We drove 150 miles without it coming on, but now its just come on
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 21:16   #14
charlotte001

No you didn't do well if both the ABS, Brake Failure warning lights are on. Brakes are fairly cheap to repair disc's from £30 pair pads from £6.50-£55 an axle set Calipers are expensive from £55- lots

The ABS on the other hand could be expensive sensors are from £60-lots

Charlotte

Ill take it off your hands for £150 as I just want a Turbo engine
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 21:19   #15
740Estate
Undercover 740

LOL!

It'll fix james, dont panic!
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 23:14   #16
James_N
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte001 View Post
Brake Failure warning lights are on.
The brake fail light isnt on. the red light you can see in the pic is the handbrake applied light. And for some reason, the ABS light has gone out now too. It does seem to come on at random, but it stays out more than its on.

Ive just got back from an hours drive on my own (finally ) and yes, its a great car, but i do have a few concerns.

1) the headlining on the sunroof is pretty stained, meaning it must of leaked at some stage, but its ****ing down now and its not leaking at the moment.

2) the sunroof tilts up, but its VERY reluctant to slide back and especially come closed again, it hardly closes, and does so VERY slowly. Sunroof motor? Easy to fix?

3) Perhaps the most concerning, is that im finding it very difficult to get first gear when ive come to a stop at some lights or something. I dont know why. If i put it into second gear, then into first, thats no problem, but just try going from neutral into first, its near on impossible. I hope this isnt a big problem. The rest of the gears are fine, and the overdrive solanoid (sp) was recently replaced.

I think at this point, my moms worried that i might be giving my dad a more reliable car in the estate, but as said above, these things can be fixed.

I'll be bringing the car to the stoke meet next month, so hopefully if anything is a miss, you knowledgeable lot can help me, but im more worried about point number 3 than any.

But apart from that, what a car for £500
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 23:38   #17
ivor940
Master Member

Hi James, It sounds like a nice car. Welcome to life with a 700/900 Turbo. As to the gear snag, check the adjustment at the gear lever shown in the Haynes manual, and also check the gearbox oil level.

ivor940
ivor940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 23:42   #18
James_N
VOC Member

Im a bit nervous about this turbo thing. something tells me than an old turbo model just isnt going to be as reliable as a non turbo! I hope im proven wrong.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 23:42   #19
Glen Morangie
Economy motorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_N View Post
3) Perhaps the most concerning, is that im finding it very difficult to get first gear when ive come to a stop at some lights or something. I dont know why. If i put it into second gear, then into first, thats no problem, but just try going from neutral into first, its near on impossible. I hope this isnt a big problem. The rest of the gears are fine, and the overdrive solanoid (sp) was recently replaced.

Most manual RWD Volvos with M45 /6 /7 gearboxes do this. My M45 box has been like that for about 7 years. It is possible to adjust the selector gate - I must do mine when I have a minute.
Glen Morangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 00:08   #20
740Estate
Undercover 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_N View Post
Im a bit nervous about this turbo thing. something tells me than an old turbo model just isnt going to be as reliable as a non turbo! I hope im proven wrong.

Regular decent oil changes and tender loving care are all they need. Warm up, cool down the turbo. Normal sort of stuff. But as you're coming to Stoke, forget all that. Park near 1st R and the others and you'll end up doomed to a life of boost and hybrids.