Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo C30 2.0D "Shark Performance" nightmare!

Views : 35565

Replies : 324

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 29th, 2015, 18:49   #21
iantowil

Yes, but you obviously sided with a supplier of remaps straight away. Do you work for them or affiliated in some way? Do you know them? Nice way to welcome a new member obviously in trouble with his car - NOT! Think about it.

Concerning the data - I's assumed he wouldn't have diagnostic kit in his back pocket, cheap or not.........of course, do you think Shark maybe able to help there. But there again, we wouldn't want to trouble them too much, they've only had a few hundred quid of his hard earned money!

Can I suggest if you can't be helpful to this guy, butt out. And with that I'm out, as this risks turning this thread into a battle that has nothing to do with helping him.

Good luck yalrafai!
iantowil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iantowil For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2015, 19:03   #22
Rooster
Speed freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalrafai View Post
I forgot to mention it's an automatic
You remapped a 2.0d with a powersh*t gearbox,

my god that was brave no wonder its juddering they carn't cope with standard power let alone a mapped one,

Google "ford powershift gearbox problems"
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2015, 19:23   #23
alfadave11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
You remapped a 2.0d with a powersh*t gearbox,

my god that was brave no wonder its juddering they carn't cope with standard power let alone a mapped one,

Google "ford powershift gearbox problems"
now if this is a concern with mapping the powersh*t box ..SURELY shark would have advised against this
alfadave11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2015, 21:58   #24
benr7310
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iantowil View Post
Lets focus on what YOU suggested earlier. Try answering the question.
This poor sod has a knackered car after a supposed upgrade..........they are supposed to be experts but have left him with a knackered car......pretty p!ss poor isn't it, and you go defending them by suggesting he is a liar. So try focusing on that now....just for a minute.
I have never met or used shark.. I had my car mapped by Celtic Tuning. Also I live in London and have no idea where they are even based.

At no point have i suggested he is a liar. I feel bad he has a knackered car - but I'm trying to point out that by mapping a car you are pushing it outside it's comfort zone. You will put greater strain on parts. Similar to the DMF that went when mine got mapped.

It felt perfect before. But then boom the day it was mapped. Too much power and the part was not up to scratch and that's why it was replaced at a cost of £1500.

I have been there and been on his end of it.

They should have read the codes and replaced any parts that were needed.. but whether they should have covered the cost of that? I don't think so - unless there was anything crazy on the map. As you suggested it would be good to see the map they applied - but from a competition point of view they wouldn't post it freely online as it could be copied by anyone.

I would have thought they would have read the codes but with it being 80 miles away from where OP lives it's barely economical to do this which is why I suggested whether anyone had dice/vida locally.

I have dice/vida but I don't know if im local - otherwise I'd be happy to help.

As you can see I am trying to help OP. Maybe you misread or you've had a bad day.

Ex-S40 Sport 2.0d with 180bhp & 300lbft
benr7310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2015, 13:47   #25
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalrafai View Post
Hi guys I'd like to share my experience of getting my car remapped by shark performance.

Shark remapped my car for £315 and as I was driving it home I noticed that the engine would shudder briefly as I was accelerating. I tried to ignore this at first but things got worse and there was excess smoke coming from my exhaust and staining the back of my car. Additionally, the revs would oscillate as I accelerated and the car was slower than before I remapped it.

Took it back to shark, they told me I had to replace a fuel injector or something, ordered the part for £300 and got it replaced. No change whatsoever.

Took it back to shark again and they took the map off, no change whatsoever.

Taking it to Volvo in December hopefully to get it fixed but the engine light has been on ever since I got it remapped.

Although the guys at shark were nice etc the remap has truly ruined my car, just be careful guys

So to conclude: Oscillating revs, excess smoke, engine light on slower than before, occasionally engine shudders and there is no power whatsoever until I turn the car off and then back on. £615 down the drain so far plus 3 trips to shark (80 miles each way)

I think it's going to be a four figure repair job at Volvo aswell.

P.s I was never offered a refund or anything like that and they kept saying that there's a fault with the car and no problems with the map even though I've had it for 2 years with no problems at all and the first problem arose on my drive home from shark 10 minutes after getting it mapped. Coincidence?
Yup the volvo dealership is a good shout with maybe a software update to clean out your ECU? Good luck with it! Might be an option after volvo diagnose all the problems and agree that the remap ruined the components ... going back to shark to see what you can get from them!

If you do decide to remap or anything else, I recommend Demon Tweaks. They did a remap to mine and some other work. All tested well and still going well so far.
domhart10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2015, 16:19   #26
GazzR

I would scan it for code's to begin with and see if anything comes up, i had an audi a4 1.9tdi and after a remap developed a shuddering under acceleration and turned out to be the maf sensor at fault, new maf on and the car was unbelievable and had no probs after this and had it for 3 years after the remap was done. Obviously thats a different car but could be something as simple.

1991 MK2 Golf GTI 16V
GazzR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GazzR For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 12:50   #27
yalrafai

Default Update

Hi guys. My car is currently with Volvo getting repaired. They seem very adamant that the Remap has damaged my car, software wise or physically (they are still determining) total labour cost of £300 so far into the investigation but I've asked them to keep going as it needs fixing. I've budgeted £2,000 for getting it repaired by Volvo, pretty steep considering it's only worth about £7k! Anyway I'm going to get a report from Volvo and gather evidence that Shark has screwed me and then considering making a case with Trading Standards. Can anyone shed some light on the best way to go about this and whether or not I have a case at all?

*Volvo mentioned they are having difficulty communicating with the car and the fault codes and so are reloading the ECU just so they can communicate with the car

Thanks
yalrafai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 13:04   #28
yalrafai

Another thing to mention is that when Shark were remapping the car, they took it for numerous short test runs (after 2 hours of waiting) During these few short ~10 minute runs they used about half a tank (25 litres/200 miles) of diesel. This is an outrageous amount of fuel to use and so indiciates that they worked the car extremely hard on a cold engine with all that new power and torque no wonder it's f**cked. Whatever is broken probably broke during the test runs when they absolutely hammered the thing on a stone cold engine.

Last edited by yalrafai; Dec 21st, 2015 at 13:24.
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 13:38   #29
dme123
Master Member

I am quite surprised any reputable remapping company would touch a car with the powershift box, it's a bit marginal in standard form so I'd have expected a remapped one to last a very short time indeed before something gave up.

I also suspect that they did indeed give it a good thrashing when they took it out to test and that the box was munched at this point, although it would only have been a matter of time before this happened in any case.

Sadly this is the risk you run with a remap, you're deliberately choosing to push the drivetrain beyond what the manufacturer decided were the safe limits. Sometimes you can get away with it but you need to go into it with your eyes wide open. FWIW I wouldn't remap any automatic Volvo, even the regular TC ones are pushed right to their limits as standard.
dme123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 13:44   #30
yalrafai

If shark had warned me against remapping a power shift gear box then I wouldn't have done it. However I was given no disclaimer and they were clearly aware of the risks as when they had remapped it they told me that they hadn't maxed out the torque because it is an automatic! AFTER they had remapped it